• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon arm help

Nathan Ruiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello I have a two month old bearded dragon named Princess and lately she’s been acting a bit strange. She’s been out from under the UVB lamp and sleeps most of the day under her half log. Furthermore, she’s been having lack of appetite and doesn’t drink much water. On her left arm there a dark spot and a little exposed flesh. Any guesses on what could be? Please help.. Thank you.

Ps: I have another dragon named Bones. Is it safe to have them both living in the same enclosure?

Attachments

• DABF0BD5-AD50-4D5C-A98E-BA86DF6C5F34.jpeg
    DABF0BD5-AD50-4D5C-A98E-BA86DF6C5F34.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • F531EFE2-9DE1-406B-98B7-4FBCD0EE3D20.jpeg
    F531EFE2-9DE1-406B-98B7-4FBCD0EE3D20.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • 55EBC8CB-3297-47D9-B929-972655DED5E1.jpeg
    55EBC8CB-3297-47D9-B929-972655DED5E1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • F38D2B62-29C1-44C2-B825-718CF1F88DDC.jpeg
    F38D2B62-29C1-44C2-B825-718CF1F88DDC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
it's not safe for them to live in the same enclosure they can and will attack others. from your pics it looks like a burn..what are your temps like. what kind of lighting do you use for heat?

Nathan Ruiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
As for the temperatures I am not 100% sure but I use a 50w UVB and a 50w heat lamp that are about 4-6 inches away from their basking rocks. I’ll attach a photo as soon as possible.

I was more concerned that if my female dragon Princess (the one with the mystery arm) was in the same enclosure as my male dragon Bones. Would the infection if it is an infection, spread to him.?

Nathan Ruiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here’s pictures of the enclosure I promised.

Attachments

• 81CD8C3C-FDE9-4B89-9BF4-6A98E3293C59.jpeg
    81CD8C3C-FDE9-4B89-9BF4-6A98E3293C59.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 25AB248D-FF09-48AE-9291-80AFD431EA6E.jpeg
    25AB248D-FF09-48AE-9291-80AFD431EA6E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 43

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
infections only spread if there contagious like parasites, certain bacterial infections can spread as well as viral infections so it's best to keep them apart. and a visit to an exotic pet vet is in order asap for her arm. I still think it looks like a burn most likely from the red light or basking light being to close can cause burns and the can lead to serious infections. also the red lights aren't very good for bearded dragons it can hurt their eyes.
In the mean time try treating that arm with a diluted solution of betadine/iodine with distilled water it looks like week tea, try to soak it several times a day and some neosporin without pain relief to help minimize infection risk and speed healing.
hope she gets better. keep us posted.

Nathan Ruiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I’ve been cleaning her wound and applying neosporin. She’s been a bit more active be still no gain in appetite or thirst. Furthermore, I’ve noticed a clean and stick substance that has been coming out of her wound. Any ideas of what it could be ?

Nathan Ruiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
@mamaof2dragons sorry but I can’t, I just cleaned the enclosure this morning. But it’s a clear slimy substance that had appeared overnight on her wounded arm. I’ve been batheing her regularly to reduce risk of infection and reapplying neosporin on her arm. She’s gotten a bit more active and the wound looks to be healing but still no sign of improvement with her appetite.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
try sprinkling some bee pollen on her greens. you can pick it up in the vitamin and nutritional supplements aile at your local grocery store. it helps with energy and stimulates their appetite.

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
I am new to reptiles so take this with a grain of salt, but in humans, and other animals some times you will see a clearish thick fluid on wounds. It is most ly noted when the wound is moist, such as after a bath. For us, as long as the fluid does not have an odor and the area does not look red or swollen, that is not a problem. That fluid, usually refered to as serous fluid/drainage is part of the healing process for us. Not sure if the same is true for reptiles though.

Michleo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would personally have her seen by a vet. Neosporin may not be good if either dragon is licking it off the area. As far as eating, I know that hornworms seem to get my kiddo back in an eating mood when he seems to be fussy. Make sure that the red light is not on at night, leaving that on at night will drive them crazy and cause a lot of problems. I have seen in multi bearded tanks that one may be preventing the other from eating. It may not be easy to make sure both are getting food if this is what is happening,

JeanBD

Hatchling Dragon
did she shed recently? 'cause if she did, it might be because the shedd was fallen/taken off to early. I heard that it happened to few beardies

Latest posts