• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

domination!!

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hey forumers!!
just a quick question, got two baby beardies (spyro n zuko) weve had spyro longer n he dominates zuko alot, zuko doesnt eat alot...n im just wonderin if i was to take them both out the tank n proper spring clean it so theres no scent of either of them inside the tank, then put zuko in first for about 10 mins then put spyro in, would that help????
im just think maybe its because spyros scent was there first....thank u in advance for your replies :)

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't think that it's the scent that is the problem. It's the fact that Spyro was there first, and now that a new beardie is there, he needs to defend his territory in a way. The only way to stop this is to seperate them completely. I know you're bidding on a new tank, so hopefully it won't be too long. I guess you could try cleaning the tank out, but personally, I don't think it will do much.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
at the moment untill we get a new tank im just trying to think of any possible way i can get zuko to eat :S

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Can you try to seperate the tank into two halves using something like a piece of flat cardboard? That way they are in their own space plus they wouldn't be able to see each other.

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah as long as they can't see eachother, then the domination behavior should stop. Adding a barrier between them will help and Zuko should start eating.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the only problem is, we havent got the money to get the extra stuff yet like another basking bulb n bowls n things like that, and also, would they not pine for each other? i dont think spyro is dominating him too much as they sit together but its just when it comes to feeding time i think zuko feels intimidated..

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Maybe you could feed Zuko someplace else where he can't see or smell Spyro. Also, you could use things like lids of jars as bowls for your beardies. Those are good, recyclable feeding/water dishes.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yeah we have tryed that hes just not interested lol hopefully he will start getting better, things can only get better right? :/
i must stop worryin as im havin sleepwalkin episodes wich happens wen i worry haha!!
im sure as soon as we seperate them zuko will eat...im gunna make sure they see each other every day tho so that they dnt pine!!

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well since they're both males, they may not take too kindly to each other once they're adults, or even sooner than that. But they should be fine if you keep them seperate. The sooner the better I would say.

Mon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
would they not pine for each other?​
\
Beardies are solitary creatures and only come together in nature to mate. So NO they wont pine for each other, they prefer solotary living

i dont think spyro is dominating him too much as they sit together but its just when it comes to feeding time i think zuko feels intimidated..

Sitting together / on top of each other is actually one of the 1st (but less recognised) signs of domination. Try to divide the current viv, move the basking bulb to the centre for time being then both halves will get heat, or just get a normal household bulb for the other half. Mount the UVB in the centre and both halves will get UVB till your second viv is set up.

im gunna make sure they see each other every day tho so that they dnt pine!!​

Just make sure these visits are 100% supervised, an accident can happen in a second.

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
mon is right.almost all reptiles only come together to mate and the only reason males and females get along sometimes is bc the female allows herself to be bullied.beardies arent social creatures just bc theyre easily handled.many people dont comprehend this.....id separate them in diff enclosures or follow the above advice before one end up maimed or dead-accidents do happen in a split second.i wont even put my two together bc on the occasion they spot eachother across the room they spazz,go berserk,and start running at the glass with rapid head bobbing...its goofy looking but i know its not a joke so im probably gonna face them away from one another so they dont stress eachother out

Latest posts