• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Doesn't want to stay in cage.

Eleanor

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a one year old male beardie that recently started not wanting to be in his cage. He wants to run around the house then find a place to sleep. I'm worried he's not getting enough UV. I take him out because he climbs the cage walls and runs around his cage making a big mess. He seems to get stressed. He's 21" long, his cage is a 40 gallon long, do you think he needs a bigger area? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a one year old male beardie that recently started not wanting to be in his cage. He wants to run around the house then find a place to sleep. I'm worried he's not getting enough UV. I take him out because he climbs the cage walls and runs around his cage making a big mess. He seems to get stressed. He's 21" long, his cage is a 40 gallon long, do you think he needs a bigger area? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Welcome to the forum..
It is the season..all of our boys are glass surfing these days.. just give him time out of his tank off and on as your able to, your tank should be fine in size.. I wouldn't worry too much some just surf alot.. :)

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I agree with hdrydr31, my boys are glass surfing big time, whether the girls are in view or not, like she said, just take him out for a bit a few times a day, he'll calm down once his spring fever is gone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My boy always glass surfs all year long! I let him out for short times and then put him back in under his lights when he starts to get real cold.

Eleanor

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum..
It is the season..all of our boys are glass surfing these days.. just give him time out of his tank off and on as your able to, your tank should be fine in size.. I wouldn't worry too much some just surf alot.. :)
Thank you, he's my first and I didn't know what to think, lol.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My Simon surfs alot each day, so he gets lots of run around time (I am at home most of the time) so he doesn't destroy his tank and salad... I have a room that is set up that is safe from anything that they could get into, up into, eaten...and I have a rock set up with a basking light for some basking/warm up area...They each get their time to run around and explore, Simon prefers to catch his food so I'll let a roach free and he will run and grab them...lol He's a big male at 20 1/2" and 500 gr.. so he likes to run around like a little crazy alligator HAHAHA He has learned that he can climb up on the futon and chair in there to get a higher perspective out the windows lol I typically find them with their faces smashed into a corner asleep lol
My female is really laid back so she doesn't surf, but sometimes she will act antsy...so she will get time to run around and explore but typically falls asleep in the same corner after only a short while lol

They will keep you on your feet, and you will question many things they will do lol so enjoy!!

Ember2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
My female bearded dragon does the same. She bangs and slides here nose against the door of her terrarium. Her upper lip now has a sore it and she only stops when I take her out. It is now the second time she has reopened the scab and it making me very upset and angry at myself for not taking her out more. Soon I will be working 12 hour Continental shift so I’m worried for her health when away. I tried using a blanket she can’t see her reflection on the doors, the rest of the inside of her has a frosted film covering the walls. Even when I covered all reflective surfaces she still wall surfs or tries to climb the top of her terrarium. My guess is that she needs more enrichment but I’m not sure where to even start. Anyone have suggestions?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My female bearded dragon does the same. She bangs and slides here nose against the door of her terrarium. Her upper lip now has a sore it and she only stops when I take her out. It is now the second time she has reopened the scab and it making me very upset and angry at myself for not taking her out more. Soon I will be working 12 hour Continental shift so I’m worried for her health when away. I tried using a blanket she can’t see her reflection on the doors, the rest of the inside of her has a frosted film covering the walls. Even when I covered all reflective surfaces she still wall surfs or tries to climb the top of her terrarium. My guess is that she needs more enrichment but I’m not sure where to even start. Anyone have suggestions?
What size tank is she in? Get her out of her tank for 2 hrs a day if you can - set her on a place where she can look out the window - glass surfing is caused by the tank being too small --- incorrect temps in the tank and incorrect UVB -- please go over all that so we can see if there is another reason for all the glass surfing --- for the nose get some raw unpasteurized honey on it --- no crickets in the tank please -

Ember2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
What size tank is she in? Get her out of her tank for 2 hrs a day if you can - set her on a place where she can look out the window - glass surfing is caused by the tank being too small --- incorrect temps in the tank and incorrect UVB -- please go over all that so we can see if there is another reason for all the glass surfing --- for the nose get some raw unpasteurized honey on it --- no crickets in the tank please -
Her tank is 36 x 18 x 18 Exo terra tank, she has a 24” T5 HO fixture with a 22” 5.0 Uvb bulb that I change every 6 months. My temperature gun reads that her basking spot temp is 42F and her cool spot is 26F. I keep her humidity between 30% and 40%. She doesn’t have much things in her tank. All I have in there is a large basking hut with a cave that act as a hide, two corner hammock beds, one stand so she can climb to her hammock, and silicone mat that I use as substrate instead of sand or Any of the other options (for easier clean up).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her tank is 36 x 18 x 18 Exo terra tank, she has a 24” T5 HO fixture with a 22” 5.0 Uvb bulb that I change every 6 months. My temperature gun reads that her basking spot temp is 42F and her cool spot is 26F. I keep her humidity between 30% and 40%. She doesn’t have much things in her tank. All I have in there is a large basking hut with a cave that act as a hide, two corner hammock beds, one stand so she can climb to her hammock, and silicone mat that I use as substrate instead of sand or Any of the other options (for easier clean up).
Ok basking temps is 42 F or C? Please get 2 digital probe thermometers IR guns cannot read off of hammocks- the uvb is on top of the screen or inside the tank? She needs a bigger tank optimal size for a adult dragon is a 120 gallon / 4x2x2 -- this could be one reason for all the glass surfing - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for substrate - found at Walmart or your local home improvement store- are you in the states?

Ember2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok basking temps is 42 F or C? Please get 2 digital probe thermometers IR guns cannot read off of hammocks- the uvb is on top of the screen or inside the tank? She needs a bigger tank optimal size for a adult dragon is a 120 gallon / 4x2x2 -- this could be one reason for all the glass surfing - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for substrate - found at Walmart or your local home improvement store- are you in the states?

Ember2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry I meant to say the temp is 42 C and her UVB fixture sits on top of the screen. Would a Evolution 4 PVC Enclosure 2.0 -
48 L x 24 W x 24 H work for and size

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry I meant to say the temp is 42 C and her UVB fixture sits on top of the screen. Would a Evolution 4 PVC Enclosure 2.0 -
48 L x 24 W x 24 H work for and size
Yes- your screen is a fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole type? The screen blocks 30 % of the rays

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is a fine mesh
Ok it needs to go inside the tank-- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor if you need things to hang w/ you can use 3 M Velcro fasteners or long plastic zip ties-or fishing line-or picture hanging wire

Ember2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
FC9F7781-67F6-4FF6-B1B6-592E587AAF76.jpeg
This is her current set up. If I put in the uvb fixture inside would it be to close to her current basking area. Do I need to completely change her basking set up?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 33584
This is her current set up. If I put in the uvb fixture inside would it be to close to her current basking area. Do I need to completely change her basking set up?
The UVB needs to go inside the tank --- drop the hammock getting the distance 12-15 inches --- get the UVB inside and adjust the height w/ your basking decor -- the rock piece you have looks like it is too hot - meaning its too high but you need two digital probe thermometers to get that actual surface basking temp --
https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-digit...2748&msclkid=e5bd2f921e8717bf43b64b8167506a6c
you want 2 of these your tank is too small for her -- please upgrade as soon as you can -- in the meantime get your lighting adjusted - shes not getting enough UVB

Ember2022

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB needs to go inside the tank --- drop the hammock getting the distance 12-15 inches --- get the UVB inside and adjust the height w/ your basking decor -- the rock piece you have looks like it is too hot - meaning its too high but you need two digital probe thermometers to get that actual surface basking temp --
https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-digit...2748&msclkid=e5bd2f921e8717bf43b64b8167506a6c
you want 2 of these your tank is too small for her -- please upgrade as soon as you can -- in the meantime get your lighting adjusted - shes not getting enough UVB
Okay thank you so much, I’m ordering everything now

Latest posts