• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

doesn't like salad :(

Sissy Anne

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to the forums and have been a beardie keeper for only a year (altho I'm experienced with amphibians). I have had a problem with my Queso since I got him last March- he won't eat anything that's not alive.

Here's our journey so far:

I got him at a show from a very good breeder. He was an adult, about 2yrs old, and a very healthy eater according to her. She gave me a list of his preferred greens/salad. Got him home, and he won't eat. After a few days, talked to her and she suggested getting his appetite up with some worms. This dialogue went on for months. Basically, he won't eat anything for me that's not alive. He's a bug-only kind of beardie. Throughout all of this, I have taken him to the vet, talked to them about techniques to get him to eat better, nothing worked. I have his levels checked regularly (3Xs a year) and he's always in PERFECT health. Calcium, everything is not just normal but ideal. He's very healthy, but he subsists on bugs.

Here's what he eats currently:
hornworms,mealworms, pheonix worms, and crickets in about equal parts, although he tends to favor the hornworms and crickets. I dust with a multi vitamin and calcium as directed, although I do an extra serving per week of the multivitamin to make up for the lack in veggies. He will *occasionally* eat those veggie pellets if I moisten them and mix them up with his bugs. He's not eating the pellets intentionally, just accidentally getting some when he dives for the bugs. I will also dip the bugs in organic baby food (green beans, squash, carrots, and anything else I can find that would be in his salad). He likes peas, but my vet told me to back off of them because they aren't that great for him.

Here's what I've tried:
-offering salad every day
-offering salad consistently and taking away all other food (he refused food for 2 weeks, and that's as long as I'm comfortable letting him go without food. This was also NOT during brumation).
-hand feeding
-hand feeding with the tongs used for insect feedings (which he recognizes)
-wiggling food in tongs
-wiggling food with string
-spraying food with water
-putting insects in salad hoping for accidental consumption
-calcium powder on salad
-just veggie pellets
-just babyfood
-force-feeding/spoon-feeding babyfood
-force-feeding salad--

If it manages to get into his mouth, HE SPITS IT OUT! [Spoiled.]

I try so hard to be a good Mom, and I really hope that'e evident from the vet visits, bloodwork, and work I've put into his diet. (I'm new to the forum and don't want to make a bad impression). He is healthy, but I know it's much preferred for him to have veggies in his diet. I've confirmed that his enclosure/environment is as perfect as can be. He has plenty of room, goes on "walks" in the house if he is glass dancing a lot or trying to get out (he knows how to tell me he wants to play), I change the light every 6 months (and I use the Zoo Med Mercury Vapor UV A/B heat combo lamp). He brumated as usual this year.

I've heard that some beardies just aren't salad eaters. Does anyone have any experience with this? And would he change his diet that drastically just because he changed owners/homes?
any help is appreciated! thanks everyone.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Sissy, what you've heard is true, some dragons don't eat that much veg & prefer a mostly protein diet. 3 of my males rip through live food but pick at their veg. 2 of my females eat WHATEVER I put in front of them, they're little pigs. Just make sure he's getting his calcium/vitamins requirements.

Sissy Anne

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks JP. That's also why I introduced hornworms and pheonix worms--for nutrient content and to help him not be so...backed up... from too many mealworms and crickets.

Reactions: Jp

Sissy Anne

Bearded Dragon Egg
speaking of diet, do most of you feed your beardie every day? I offer, but it seems like he is more interested on alternating days, like, he'll eat one or two mealworms one day but eat really well the next day. I pretty much let him decide when he's finished eating because he's not overweight. Except for hornworms. He'll gorge himself on those if I let him, so I have to ration those.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes that is just the usual recommendation. One thing that should be considered though, if it is not filling up daily on prey, it may be more likely to take to the greens.

I understand the not eating things that don't move. During Prey feeding time, couple of mine won't even look at their roaches until they move.

Sissy Anne

Bearded Dragon Egg
did you read my original post? I have tried taking the prey items away on three occasions and he went two weeks without food. like, at all. I am very familiar with the whole beardies-starving-themselves-to-death thing, and I don't feel comfortable letting him go hungry like that. During that time, I was hand feeding (attempting), using string and water and tongs to make the salad move, trying baby-food. The kid don't like vegetables. Right now, the most I can hope for is accidental ingestion of the veggie pellets (if I put bugs in the salad, he won't touch it), and I will dip prey items in organic baby food. When I have put greens in his mouth, he has spit them out. He's such a problem child. Lol.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
speaking of diet, do most of you feed your beardie every day? I offer, but it seems like he is more interested on alternating days, like, he'll eat one or two mealworms one day but eat really well the next day. I pretty much let him decide when he's finished eating because he's not overweight. Except for hornworms. He'll gorge himself on those if I let him, so I have to ration those.
My adults get greens everyday (even if they don't eat) & protein every other day. Babies get greens in the AM & 2 protein meals a day.

silverado991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
its a endless pattern until one day wallah! thell just start eating it it happens all the time hand feeding also helps to get them going

Latest posts