• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does this mean he's aggressive?

Erika Lynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Last week I adopted a beardie. I was told he's 11-12 months old. He's about 10 inches long. Well I should say I THINK he's a he. I'm very new to the beardie world but I have watched numerous videos and seen numerous pics of sexing beardies. Also, I have another beardie that for sure is a male and they look identical "down there". He is much smaller than my other one and has a much smaller head and smaller beard that hasn't turned black since I got him and I know that's characterics of a female. Anyways.... So I got him last week and I know he was stressed so I let him be by himself. Well yesterday I started petting him and picking him up and holding him for just a few minutes and put him back. Well tonight I had to clean his cage so the bf took him out and was letting him crawl on our bed (the favorite past time of our other beardie). Well this one doesn't want anything to do with us. He ran as fast as he could from us and even jumped off the bed to get away. When I touch the top of his head he does the head bobbing. When I was bringing him back to his cage he was actually opening his mouth at me. When I went to go adopt him I picked him up to put him in his travel cage and he actually bit me. I just chalked it up to "oh he was nervous because he dot know me". Well, now I'm worried that he might just be aggressive. I know this is a dumb question and I'm completely a newbie but this is worrying me. Sorry for stupidness

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am really new too. It sounds to me like he wasn't in a good place and is just afraid. From everything I have read BD's are not aggresive by nature so something must have shook him up causing him to act this way. I would keep working with him until he realizes that your hands are not going to hurt him. I would think he would come around after a few weeks. Like I said I am really new to this too and this is just my thought. Good luck!!!!:)

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just keep working with your new dragon, I'm sure it is getting used 2 his new owners & surroundings. Change in their environment can be very stressful with different results. It may take some time 4 the new dragon 2 settle in, just be patient. It has 2 learn that u & your BF are not threats 2 him & his new home is safe. Keep us posted.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You may also want to try the dirty shirt trick.

Place a a shirt that has been worn all day and has your scent on it in the VIV and leave it there for a few days. This will help your new addition get used to your scent and it's new surroundings.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
12 months old and only 10 inches long......................there's your sign. doesnt sound like he was handled much either. just give him time. hopefully he will turn around. there are mean dragons out there and i've had a few but usually not so much aggressive as just crabby and dont want to be bothered. good luck

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Don't worry, there isn't a dumb question ;)
That is small for that age. Sounds like he wasn't taken care of properly, so that doesn't help. Try the shirt idea. And everyday just put your hand in the tank without picking him up. Let him see that you don't want to hurt him. Eventually pick him up slowly. Just take your time with him and try everyday. Do you have a picture of him?

Erika Lynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
b0f8537d.jpg

This is Buckley compared to a normal crayola marker. Yes he's on a heat rock but no it's not plugged in. Just for him to bask on :)

Erika Lynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you :). I'm happy with him even if he does happen to turn aggressive. I think he's a very pretty boy. Does everyone think he's on the small size tho for his age? Again, hes about 11-12 months old

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
that depends. if we knew exactly how the previous owners were feeding, housing, ect. we might be able to say he's small. some dragons, however, maybe because of genetics are just small animals. my little spike is about 2 years old and only 12 inches and 313 grams. he's just a small dragon.

Erika Lynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
To be honest I think he was fed more veggies than protein. He is in a 20 gallon tank with basking light and UVB light....

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He is in a 20 gal. now? If he wasn't fed that much protien that could explain the small size. The owner that owned Midna before us didn't feed her enough protein and she is on the small side (they did the same with the green too :mad: and told me to do it). She's the first beardie that I've owned. But that's all changed now ;)

He does look a little small but not unhealthy. Looks like he was housed on sand, his feet look like they have been dyed the sand color. But it looks like he's in a better home now :D

Erika Lynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ur awesome for noticing his feet dyed. Yes he was housed on sand because when I went there to pick him up the lady told me that she just ran out of bedding and I needed to get more sand. Lol. For now he's on newspaper bit me and the bf are drawing out our plans for Buckley and Billys new castle and they will be on tile then :)

Erika Lynn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is my Billy Boo. He is the most awesome animal I've ever known :). He's so friendly and just loves us. Does he look small too?? He's between 3-4 years old.
8508c9b6.jpg

0951b873.jpg

Latest posts