• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do I have a weird Dragon?

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Hey Guys,
I have had my Dragon for a about 6-7 weeks. He is about 4 to 5 months old. Curious about different personalities of your dragons.
My guy has been challenging to get eating well. He started eating crickets, for first few days. Then went on hunger strike for 4-5 days. Then he started eating Dubias very well. That went well for 3-4 weeks. Then he decided he didn't like dubias and will only eat wax worms and super worms.

Another observation I made with him is that he's a very slow eater. He is usually found in a basking spot, up higher in his cage. If I open the doors and present food, he doesn't come running. I have to take him, and place him down lower in cage, and put food right in front of him. Then he will eat his worms.... I visited a local pet shop a few days back, and saw the clerk feed a dragon they had. Virtually the same size as mine. Maybe a tad bigger. This dragon came flying down and fiercely ate 5-6 crickets in like 5 seconds flat. Very fast and aggressive.

Do I have a lazy dragon on my hands? Or could something be wrong?

He has gained weight. He was .8 oz when I got him, and now weight 1.4 oz, and length went from 8 inches to 8.75.

Thoughts? :)

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Here he is...
e55ecf44e5648c3800779eceba79d30d.jpg

3503eedce2932bcd62d25174c4c9d2ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
Temps or UVB could be inadequate. He could be lazy, but babies normally aren't, you normally see that when they're older. And let him find his food on his own, even though they're captive they still need to hunt. Cause he may just wait for you to move him since that's what you've been doing

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
His temps are 100 to 110 in higher basking spots... Using the T5 10.0 Bulb and have 150 Watt basking bulb. Basking bulb is over right side of tank, T5 strip is over center. There is a temp gradient going from right to left. Cooler on left side of tank....

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He looks like he hasn't missed a meal! I would do a fecal test just to be on the safe side and make sure there is nothing going on with him.

My female dragons are very lazy eaters and it's very hard to get them to eat sometimes. They are also older though 3-4 years old.

Latest posts