• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do I have a slow grower?

Tytus402

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my beardie, Sushi, around 8 weeks of age on 11/9/18 from a reputable private breeder. When I first got him he was 6.5" long and weighed 11g. Today, around 3 months of age, he's about 9.25" long and 35-37g. He actually weighed 38g a couple of days ago and then he didn't eat all of yesterday as I think he's going back into shed. When I first got him his legs and tail were in shed. Then his body about a week or so after...then his head...then his legs again last week and now it looks like his body is going into it again. He's got good energy and like to hang out outside of the tank when he can. He poops daily...every morning before 930am and once in a while maybe a second one in the evening. He's well hyrdrated. He gets bathed every day and water from a dropper twice a day which he likes.

Here's some other info:
Sex: Male
Morph: HypoTrans Leather Dunner Zero
Enclosure: 4x2x2 melamine - lives solo
Lighting: Arcadia T5 HO 14% w/ reflector and 150w basking bulb
Temp: Hot - 109-113; cool - 85-89
Distance from UVB: depends on where you measure from, but basking spot is 9" from UVB, branch between 13-15" depending on what part of the branch.
Other enclosure info: substrate is slate tile; 2 ledges at different heights made out of flagstone in the back of the tank that extend from the cool end to just under his basking hammock so he can adjust temps as needed. He goes under the ledges or hammock for shade. I have 2 lava rocks in there as well...one under the hammock and one in the front of the cage...both hot side...he loves to use to those for shedding.
Food: I start out with veggies first thing in the morning, but he refuses to eat them. Veggies consist of mustard and collard green and chard. For feeders he likes BSFL the best. I also have super worms and dubias for him too. Dubias/super worms/veggies get dusted with calcium or vitamins (calcium 5 times a week once daily...vitamins on weekends once daily).

I think I'm more concerned about weight than length. When he's eating well he'll eat up to 25 BSFL in one sitting. This morning he ate over 15 BSFL and one dubia that was about 3/4" long. I've heard pinworms can cause them not to gain weight. Can they be spotted with the naked eye? Poops look normal. Good energy when he's not starting to go into shed.

Thanks in advance.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
So in a month he has tripled his weight and grown nearly three inches. He’s pooping normally and shedding regularly, indicating good growth, also. He sounds perfect to me. Here’s a tip for you—supers are generally not recommended to feed until your beardie is at least 14 inches long, due to impaction risk.

Tytus402

Bearded Dragon Egg
So in a month he has tripled his weight and grown nearly three inches. He’s pooping normally and shedding regularly, indicating good growth, also. He sounds perfect to me. Here’s a tip for you—supers are generally not recommended to feed until your beardie is at least 14 inches long, due to impaction risk.

Yea. I got small supers where the exo is still pretty soft. I never feed him a whole meal of supers. It’s usually bsfl or dubias and if he looks like he’s still hungry I’ll give him 1-2 supers.

As far as his growth rate I though he might be a slow grower because I’ve been seeing people say their beardies are 12” and 50g at 3 months and so on. Just wanted to check with people who’ve had more experience.

Thanks.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
This link shows several dragons’ growth charts. A huge variety. Also remember that the majority of people are just guessing about their dragon’s age. Unless you know the breeder and the hatch date, all you can do is try to guess based on size. They all grow at different rates. Your dragon is growing well, which is wonderful!

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Growth.html

Tytus402

Bearded Dragon Egg
This link shows several dragons’ growth charts. A huge variety. Also remember that the majority of people are just guessing about their dragon’s age. Unless you know the breeder and the hatch date, all you can do is try to guess based on size. They all grow at different rates. Your dragon is growing well, which is wonderful!

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Growth.html

Thanks, Janelle. I’ve seen that chart. It was one of the many that made me wonder about his growth rate because if you look at the male at around the same age he was 54g compared to mine at 37 even though mine is longer. I’m sure he’ll fill out eventually. Not wanting a fat obese one either, just healthy.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I just checked Jayne’s growth charts (my beardie). She was 37g at 9 inches. And I think she’s perfect! :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Each dragon is different. Some will have a huge growth spurt when you least expect it. My male was 42g when he was 9". Your guy sounds good.

Parasites will cause weight loss or slow weight gain. If you are worried, you should take him in for a checkup. You won't be able to see parasites with the visible eye and if you can, you won't be able to tell what they actually are. Different meds treat different parasites.

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
Curious, which breeder did you get him from? My little boy is now 11 weeks old, 11.5" and 72 grams. Heathy as a horse, bought from Heather at fairytail dragons.I have a female that is 5 months, 10" and 52 grams. She was sold to me by another known breeder full of parasites and might have ADV. When I got her I put her in a new enclosure in another room away from my healthy dragons. She was 29 grams and 9" when I got her 3 weeks ago. Spent one week at the vets, waiting for results of ADV test. So far spent $500 on her, a very expensive rescue. Was not at all what I expected (breeder quality hypo trans NS). She is a trans leatherback that can never be breed. Breeders reply was "if your not happy with her give her away, was sold at a "pet" price. Paid $275 for her. Total ripoff.

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
Curious, which breeder did you get him from? My little boy is now 11 weeks old, 11.5" and 72 grams. Heathy as a horse, bought from Heather at fairytail dragons.I have a female that is 5 months, 10" and 52 grams. She was sold to me by another known breeder full of parasites and might have ADV. When I got her I put her in a new enclosure in another room away from my healthy dragons. She was 29 grams and 9" when I got her 3 weeks ago. Spent one week at the vets, waiting for results of ADV test. So far spent $500 on her, a very expensive rescue. Was not at all what I expected (breeder quality hypo trans NS). She is a trans leatherback that can never be breed. Breeders reply was "if your not happy with her give her away, was sold at a "pet" price. Paid $275 for her. Total ripoff.

Sorry to hear that. A crappy response from a breeder. But I suppose they already got their investment back so if it is just a business transaction to them, and they don't care about their animals or quality of their offspring then I guess that is to be expected. ALSO some people's idea of taking good care of an animal is different than most other peoples'.

I am new to world of reptiles, why can't she be bred? Are Leatherback Females not able to be bred because of being Leatherbacked?

Latest posts