• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do Dubias nibble on dragons?

Melody

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My dragon loves his Dubias! I feed him in a seperate cage but am wondering if I could start feeding him in his own tank. If I left Dubias in his tank with greens to chew on if they got hungry is it still possible they might nibble on my dragon? I've heard you shouldn't leave crickets in a tank with dragons, is the same true for Dubias? I assume yes since they are eat the same things as crickets, but it would be really nice if I could just leave some Dubias in his tank each morning when I leave for work since I can't always come home to feed him lunch, he usually just gets fed before and after work.

Also, I sometimes leave town for 24-48 hours at a time (i haven't yet since I got him but probably will have to some next spring and summer), so it would be nice if I could leave him some Dubias to eat while I am gone since mealworms are not as good for him. What do you leave for your dragon if you have to go out of town for a day or two?

Thanks, Melody

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not familiar with dubias, so I'll let the dubia members respond to that question. But another reason not to leave too many crickets is that they can stress a dragon in captivity out. So, the same may apply to dubias.

How old is your dragon?

Mealworms should be avoided altogether. They don't offer any nutrients and their outershell can be difficult for a beardie to breakdown and digest.

I've always had someone come and give my beardie his daily salad and proteins. However, an older dragon can go 24 hours without eating. I've heard that you can put a beardie safe plant in the viv if you plan to go away. I've tried jade, but due to the heat in the viv, it didn't do too well for me.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven't seen any ... yet nibbling on a dragon. However, that isn't to say they won't absolutely chew on your dragon.
You can leave Phoenix worms, and those lovely blue horns (snacks though) in place with no worries about munching on your dragon. Just leave them in a bowl, they can't climb out, and away you go :)
Now, also let me say, if your dragon is under 9 months in age, I for one would NOT leave the dragons alone for such an extended period of time. Those under 9 months of age, are still needing at least 2 meals daily, along with their salads.
The 9 months is pushing things, normally most would say at least a year. But I would be comfortable leaving for 24 hours, and not worrying about my 9 and year old dragons...
Janie.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that's a good question concerning dubias. Lobsters............yes. Dubias, I'm not really sure.

New experiment anyone?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Janie
dubias are spensive..............don't waste a colony you can't afford to lose. I got one source............lemme check.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Controlled experiment... not wasting any dubias. besides.. with somewhere around 4-6K currently... I doubt I'll be hurting for feeders this winter ;)
Janie

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Controlled experiment... not wasting any dubias. besides.. with somewhere around 4-6K currently... I doubt I'll be hurting for feeders this winter ;)
Janie

Me neither!!! ;D Thanks to my big sis!! ;)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Janie

i swear my dubia just dont like mating. i have everything setup the way nyworms says you should but i cant get them to breed like they should lol

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
80 cool end 90 directly over heating pad
water crystals on either end for humidity. progeckos gutload formula for feeding
half an orange once a week

1 male per 2 females

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Try putting your eggs creates on one side and all the water and food on the other side! Also try feeding some greens or the ends of what you have left over! I also put paper towel rolls in their. Do you have enough vents in their! I have a screen on top about 6-8 inches long by 6 inches wide and during the day I just put an egg create over it!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll have him fixed in about 6-8 months... with extras on the side ;)
looks like he's coming down my way, Lance.. still waiting on you though... ;) We'll talk about that... on da phone though ;)
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok guys. Steve Quinn ran this experiment with lobsters, and orange heads, but not with dubias. He told me in an email that the dubias didn't seem as carnivorous to him.

Use a rather rampid colony.........seperated from the colony you feed off of.
Give them a regular diet, with the basic set up, only add mouse proteins to it.
If the roaches eat the rodent, they're carnivores. If they leave it to spoil, not so much.
Keep up the colony for a peroid of about 3 months, feeding regularly then waste the colony.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
*nods nods.*
So around 200-300 is enough of a test, Gina ? All ages too I would imagine.
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
should be, as long as they're a healthy thriving colony. I'd have them set up in their own testing space for a month or so prior, just to get them established. You know.......since they can spazz on you.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay.. will get a new bin, and separate out some... and we'll see... This time next month folks for the answer ;)
Janie

Melody

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
any experimental results?

And another question for dubia breeders - do they breed year round if you keep them at 90degrees or do they slow down over the winter?

Latest posts