• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do beardies need a hide?

Rexy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, we have a beardie arriving this week (6 months old). I’ve read differing views on whether to have a hide in the enclosure....what do you all think?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You must have a hide for a beardie... or any caged animal. They need a dark, quiet, safe place to retreat to, and if you deny them that they will become extremely stressed. In fact, reptiles should have two hides-one on the cool end of the tank, one on the warm end.

Rexy

Bearded Dragon Egg
You must have a hide for a beardie... or any caged animal. They need a dark, quiet, safe place to retreat to, and if you deny them that they will become extremely stressed. In fact, reptiles should have two hides-one on the cool end of the tank, one on the warm end.
Thanks for the quick response! We will keep one in there for him!

BabyNoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, we have a beardie arriving this week (6 months old). I’ve read differing views on whether to have a hide in the enclosure....what do you all think?
Yes! They need that! They would get stressed if not. On Amazon they have basking rocks with hides underneath that I got a few days ago on sale. Petco also sells wood enrichment with a hide underneath as well, pretty cheap in my opinion.

Rexy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes! They need that! They would get stressed if not. On Amazon they have basking rocks with hides underneath that I got a few days ago on sale. Petco also sells wood enrichment with a hide underneath as well, pretty cheap in my opinion.
Thanks! Would you mind sharing which one you purchased?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You can also make your own custom decor from styrofoam and grout, they look really cool and you can get it to fit your enclosure perfectly. Lizardlandscapes on YouTube has some incredible custom builds and tutorials for them.

Rexy

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can also make your own custom decor from styrofoam and grout, they look really cool and you can get it to fit your enclosure perfectly. Lizardlandscapes on YouTube has some incredible custom builds and tutorials for them.
So cool! Thanks for sharing!!

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
A good ide, in winter time, Lower the temperature by ten degrees slowly over the middle of winter, leaving the U V.B. light on for two less hours. This will initiate brumation. Although this rarely occurs in Bearded Dragons in their first year. Its good to have one in preparation. And a juvenile I have, hasn't used his hide yet, but has slept overnight in it.he did not Brumate, but just ate a lot less and was less active. Some species won't Brumate as they are from tropical areas where the temperature is consistently high and the sun doesn't change much.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
They really need a hide so they can get away from the UVB every once in a while like they do in the wild. It's also just a nice place for them to sleep, hide, and brumate if your bearded dragon does that.

Latest posts