• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do bearded dragons get UVB from the sun through a window screen?

Creed

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a couple of baby bearded dragons that are still pretty small, about 6" long. They love getting out and exploring a bit. Normally after about 20 minutes they will run back to their cage to get back in. They will start glass surfing on the outside of the enclosure and I'll put them back. There is a window right next to my bed that they can get to. I opened it one time and they climbed up on the window screen and seemed to love it. It was about 95 degrees out and the sun shines right through the window in the afternoon. It seems like they would sit there for hours on.the screen if I let them. I am worried though about keeping them out of their cage for too long. They are getting a decent amount of heat but I was thinking that the window screen could block the UVB from getting to them. Is this true? Also, how long do you think it would be ok to let them hang out on the window screen. I only plan on doing it while it is hot during the summer.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Just like a screen cage top, the window screen filters out UVB. It's not a good way to get them UVB, because I doubt they are getting a lot of it. They still might like to sit near it and enjoy the fresh air, so you can let them sit for a little bit as long as they aren't falling off. Maybe 15 minutes at a time would be good?

Latest posts