• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discoloration of the snout...

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I thought George just bruised her snout, but it's not fading away...Shes a yellowish orange color, and the scales on the tip of her snout are pink colored. Any thoughts? I just want 2 make sure I don't have 2 run her back up 2 the vet....

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A picture would help more but is it possible she is either going into a shed or rubbing the tip of her mouth raw due to glass dancing.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know if it's a shed, I've seen her shed many times and not once was it that color. It's always gray/ash colored. Actually, I am going to be rehoming George. I have a 5 year old and now today she bit me AND my 5 year old son.

I have decided she is not a good pet...But since she is a sand fire, a friend of mine who is a breeder is willing to take her and give me one of his babies instead...I don't want 2 stress her out anymore, she obviously HATES being held. When I hold her she just stiffens up and lays there like she's so stressed she can't move.

I don't want 2 put her through that anymore. Maybe the experience with the cat was just 2 traumatic for her, and I still feel horrible, but I can't have her if she is going to bite my son also. I feel she will be better off as a breeder and not a pet. * Sighs * I don't want to do it, but honestly my son will not go near her now. He was already quite shy around animals but he won't even go in my bedroom because he is afraid of her.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not a good situation to be in. Sorry to hear about this. It is very rare for a dragon to bite intentionally.

I just want to play devil's advocate here. Although it is very rare for a dragon to bite, what if the baby decides to bite too?

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Not a good situation to be in. Sorry to hear about this. It is very rare for a dragon to bite intentionally.

I just want to play devil's advocate here. Although it is very rare for a dragon to bite, what if the baby decides to bite too?

Though I find it hard to believe that I would have that problem (I'm not a bearded dragon expert but I have been around reptiles my whole life) but I don't see how that could be the case. I know what happened to George probably changed her that's a strong possibility. See, George was NEVER agressive in the slighest...She would just crawl up on your hand and look at you and was so sweet. Now, when I even put my hand in there 2 change her water she flares up, hisses, and then runs 2 the corner. I personally don't see it happening again...My friend socializes all his babies pretty well...I would keep her if my son wasn't so scared of her...Though I love George, I love my son more.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
aww i hate it when stuff like this happens; are you concerned that your son may now view all bearded dragons as a threat now? Be that the case I would agree that introducing him to a more tame and friendly beardie would be the remedy.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, I've given it some thought...I'm going to try to work on George for a little bit more...I did notice she is going into shed...IDK if beardie's are the same as snakes(grew up with them all my life) but I'm assuming beardie's may get a bit "cranky" during a shed (yes her legs turned the same color as her snout, so that is what it is)...

Anyway, I talked it over with my SO and urged him to make sure he handles her if I'm not around. I think maybe I was putting my hand in the tank 2 fast. She does still kind of puff up a little, but she hasn't snapped or outright hissed since...Though she does a little like a tire losing air lmao...My son still won't go near her, but I explained 2 him that she got hurt bad and she will get over it soon...I hope this is the right decision and doesn't come back to bite me (no pun intended)...

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I'm glad youre giving George a mulligan. In time I think almost all animals will eventually overcome their emotional scars.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow, I'm happy to hear that George is going to have time to heal from his scars in his home environment. I know this was a tough decision for you.

One thing to keep in mind, and I'm sure you know this. Is to lower your hand in slowly. Let your fingers gently massage his chin. Slowly move towards his belly. And gently lift him up.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going, even with your son.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wish you the best of luck, and be patient. Time heals all wounds, even your sons fear will dissipate.

I dont know if youve read my dragons past story, but will give you a quick rundown with my experience with her, It may give you hope.

Her previous owners only fed her 2 crickets every 2-3 days. No salads EVER, no baths, not accurate temps and bad UVB . . basically bad care
Then when they felt like giving attention, they would grab her by the tail and yank her out of the enclosure, dangling. She would hiss and snap and if she could reach, shed BITE them till it bled.

So obviously when I got her she was malnourished / dehydrated and severely traumatised.
I couldnt get my hand in the viv without her hissing/flaring or hiding.

I just started slow. 1st put my hand in slowly like every 20 mins for about a minute at a time, then after 2-3 days I moved my hand closer to her, still not touching her, just talking calmly. Then I would slowly pet her head and back, talking calmly all the time.

I swear I thought I'd never have success. I even considered selling her to a pet shop and getting a baby (Thank goodness I didnt, but I was very discouraged at first, till they show improvement. Its like when your child says his/her first word or takes that first step. I was so darn excited I wanted to yell it from the top of the roofs) My boys were so discouraged and scared of her.

Now its 4 plus months later. She LOVES her attention, I can touch her anywhere. And sometimes she wants to be cuddled, other times she will try to scamper off, but I dont let her. My boys are in her viv 70% of the time after school rubbing her, and she closes her eyes and loves it.

So my point is patience . . . LOTS of it. It does pay off, at least it did for me ;D

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think Pogie gave great advice.

I want to add one thing. Nursing an animal back to health and happiness will bond that animal to you more than any other action. I've had many dogs in my time but none ever compared to the ones I saved from something horrible. Even just picking them up from the shelter and cleaning them up and bringing them to a foster a strong bond is formed. There are dogs that I only met once or twice and that was to initially rescue them that strain at their leashes when they see me now. Animals remember who helped them.

Latest posts