• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

digital thermometer?

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so i keep seeing things where people ask if they are using digital thermometer? is it not ok to use the reg reptile/analog ones? seems like the only digital ones i can find are $100 plus.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ya im getting ready to order some more crickets and some other stuff and just found them, but is there still something wrong with the others? or is it just that these are more accurate, also where should i put the prob with it?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, the analog ones are very inaccurate. Some can be up to 20 deg off the correct temp.

The digital ones with the probe work great, place the probe on his/her basking spot and you'll have the exact temp and will be surprised at the reading differences between analogue and digi . . . I was :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
do i have to leave the prob there the whole time? might look a bit odd with it sitting there on his log all the time.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, you leave it there, see pic below. It doesnt really look that odd, just secure it properly if it is on for eg a branch

SNC00454.jpg

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
got one, well 3, basking temp is 108-110, which is just right ya?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, that is perfect for a baby. What about your cold side? That should be around 85F.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well the very far side is only 77, but the middle is about 85, hes in a 50 gallon breeder so its quite large so he can get any temp variance he wants.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
77 is a bit low even for a cool side. Temps are needed to help digest the food. Does he spend a lot of time on the far side?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hijacked.gif

Well we are getting there, When I got my BD and VIV it had those round analogue thermometers, then I read theyre bad so I got a digital probe one for the basking spot. Only had money for one though.

So yesterday I finally got another for the cool end, but was curious as to how accurate the old one was, so last night I put it next to the old one on the basking spot, and this morning the reading were almost identical.
Old one read 82.4 and new one 82.76

Ive now moved the new one to the cool end, so in a few hours Ill have an ACCURATE cool side reading.
First want to go do some research / browsing around here to see where at the cool end I should place the probe, before I fix it to something, now its just hanging over her log

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cool end readings should be done at the furthest point from the basking site Monique. This usually means on the floor at the far end depending on how you have your decor set up. The dragon will naturally seek out this spot when it gets too hot. If you have a hide set up in the cool end it would not hurt to do a reading inside the hide as well just to see what the temps are.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, she NEVER goes to the floor of the cool end, only to eat her salad. But lies on her branch that spans the VIV.

So I will put the probe on the branch??? At the spot where she ALWAYS lies when she goes there

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK had the probe in the cool end all day (Now 4:30PM) and it reads 82 - 83
Basking is at 107- 114

She always lies next to the basking spot, could it be too hot? The probe is directly UNDER the basking bulb.

Maybe I could try to make the basking lamp shine at an angle to give more heat to the cool end and by doing so make the distance of the lamp to the platform larger / thus making the basking temps a wee bit lower?

Then again the caresheet says:

Babies/Juvies
Basking 105-110
Cool 70-85

Adults
Basking 100-102
Cool 70-85

And according to that my temps are fine right? The Basking temp will just need to come down a bit in about 3-4 months when shes 1 year old

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your cool end is fine. Don't play with that.
The hot side is a tad hot for my liking. Is the probe sitting right on the basking spot? If so and it reaches 114* I would drop the wattage of the bulb.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the probe sitting right on the basking spot? If so and it reaches 114* I would drop the wattage of the bulb.

I will add a pic below to illustrate
But yes the probe in ON the basking spot (Red hand)
P will mostly be in the 3 spots indicated by the green frilly boxes

The 114 temp is late afternoon, on warm days and doesnt happen too often , the average is about 102/107 most days, when it gets that hot (114) I open the side vent at the cool end for more ventilation.

If I switch to a lower wattage bulb, it will affect the cool end temps too wont it, making it go below the current 82/83 to about 77, is that still fine?

Right now the basking temp is 91 and the cool end 65, its now 11AM. She is lying directly under the lamp

Anyways heres the pic

SNC00433-1.jpg

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update . . .

Time now 2PM
Temps
Cool end 77
Basking 102

Latest posts