• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

diet

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes they do! When Dexter bit me she looked as upset and confused about it as I did! She loves papaya but she hasn't figured out how to pick it up by herself because it's so slimy so I was trying to hand feed her. Dexter usually bites into the blueberry and it sprays all over the place and juice runs down her chin and then she chews it! One time I took her to my work for a visit and when I got home I realized she had blueberry juice covering the underside of her tail, I was kinda embarrassed!

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Yes they do! When Dexter bit me she looked as upset and confused about it as I did! She loves papaya but she hasn't figured out how to pick it up by herself because it's so slimy so I was trying to hand feed her. Dexter usually bites into the blueberry and it sprays all over the place and juice runs down her chin and then she chews it! One time I took her to my work for a visit and when I got home I realized she had blueberry juice covering the underside of her tail, I was kinda embarrassed!
I dont kno if i have tried them with papaya i have tried them with some mango which they seemed too like... Strawberries are funny it looms like they wearing lipstick hehe ... Its bath day for both of mine tomorrow and a full clean out of their vivs aswell going to be fun :)

Portmanmike

Juvenile Dragon
Augie posted the food BIBLE a lot of us follow. You can't go wrong with dark leafy greens, collard greens, mustard greens, and especially dandelion greens are very nutritious. I personally have always stayed away from the tomato fruit since tomato leaves are poisonous. Also, hornworms that eat tomato leaves are poisonous.

I feed my dragon horned worms all the time he loves them he's healthy as an ox

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Papaya is a favorite here along with watermelon. Mango not so much, we haven't really had good mangos lately.

I feed my dragon horned worms all the time he loves them he's healthy as an ox

How do they do with hornworms? I know they are really good but is the horn on the worm hard? Can they digest it? Also, how do you handle hornworms? I remember one year my tomatoes got infested with them and for the life of me I could not get them off the leaves. No matter what I did those little buggers were stuck! I ended up spraying them with baby shampoo and water to kill them off and keep them off.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Papaya is a favorite here along with watermelon. Mango not so much, we haven't really had good mangos lately.

How do they do with hornworms? I know they are really good but is the horn on the worm hard? Can they digest it? Also, how do you handle hornworms? I remember one year my tomatoes got infested with them and for the life of me I could not get them off the leaves. No matter what I did those little buggers were stuck! I ended up spraying them with baby shampoo and water to kill them off and keep them off.
Ive given them watermelon once they had some of it dont think they were overly keen

Portmanmike

Juvenile Dragon
The is very very small and not hard he's has no problem with them and totally loves them but there not cheap about a dollar a peace I give him like two a day as a treat they come in a cup with wire that they hang on with big chunk of food on the bottom they grow real fast

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon

I remember back last year when they were eating crickets the shop ran out of crickets but they had locusts so got them locusts instead quite entertaining watching them chase them around the viv... Then went back to crickets as they had them back in stock the following week put them in the viv for them they turned their noses up at them!!! They havent eaten a cricket since they had locusts

Portmanmike

Juvenile Dragon
I'm pretty lucky he love to eat have him just worms and vegs Phoenix worms meal worms and horned worms
Crickets are pain they hide and dye worms I just put in his worm bowl and let him go to town

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
I'm pretty lucky he love to eat have him just worms and vegs Phoenix worms meal worms and horned worms
Crickets are pain they hide and dye worms I just put in his worm bowl and let him go to town
Crickets are horrible in a viv and they are noisy !! Dont miss them atall ... Mine are having some locusts and morio worms tomorrow after i try them with some fruit/greens and veg as they been bit off their food lately

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

I don't mind crickets. I have two tanks in the basement. For Dexter and my big frogs I buy a size that is just under the chirping size and Luci and my smaller frogs get even smaller crickets. They get fed all the fruits and veggies that the beardies get and I clean out the tanks a few times a week to keep the smell down. I don't have much floor decoration in their tanks so I have an idea where the uneaten ones are hiding so I can scoop them up. It's harder with the frogs, my little guys had an uneaten cricket that they couldn't catch and neither could I and I think one of the frogs stayed awake for 2 days trying to get it!

The only other insects the beardies get are superworms, which they love. I tried Phoenix worms with Dexter last winter when we had a cricket shortage, and she didn't digest them properly. I tried giving them to Luci this year and she wouldn't even touch them.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
I don't mind crickets. I have two tanks in the basement. For Dexter and my big frogs I buy a size that is just under the chirping size and Luci and my smaller frogs get even smaller crickets. They get fed all the fruits and veggies that the beardies get and I clean out the tanks a few times a week to keep the smell down. I don't have much floor decoration in their tanks so I have an idea where the uneaten ones are hiding so I can scoop them up. It's harder with the frogs, my little guys had an uneaten cricket that they couldn't catch and neither could I and I think one of the frogs stayed awake for 2 days trying to get it!

The only other insects the beardies get are superworms, which they love. I tried Phoenix worms with Dexter last winter when we had a cricket shortage, and she didn't digest them properly. I tried giving them to Luci this year and she wouldn't even touch them.
I was giving mine meal worms last year but read up that there not really that good for and changed onto morio worms

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, In my head meal worms are like beef jerky! I believe morio worms are the same as supers, the fat version of meal worms! I was afraid of them until I read on here that there really isn't hard evidence to prove that they cause impaction and nutrition wise they are pretty good. Dexter loves them so when she goes through moods where she doesn't want crickets I know she will always eat them. They also come in handy in the winter because when it's real cold we can't always get crickets shipped.

If I didn't live in an apartment and I had a garage or a shed I would probably try dubias. My landlord would freak out if I had "roaches"!

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, In my head meal worms are like beef jerky! I believe morio worms are the same as supers, the fat version of meal worms! I was afraid of them until I read on here that there really isn't hard evidence to prove that they cause impaction and nutrition wise they are pretty good. Dexter loves them so when she goes through moods where she doesn't want crickets I know she will always eat them. They also come in handy in the winter because when it's real cold we can't always get crickets shipped.

If I didn't live in an apartment and I had a garage or a shed I would probably try dubias. My landlord would freak out if I had "roaches"!
Oh i cudnt do roaches they go through me id scream if i found one ... I stick to locusts and morio worms.. I hear on om when they go through their moods and dont really eat

Portmanmike

Juvenile Dragon
Yea I can't do the roaches my wife would kill me
She likes the horned worms she think there cute
image.jpg

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I love reading all this. Do they're bites puncture skin? Or just feel like a vice?...I hope mine gets big enough to bite me lol he's a little touch and go at the moment. :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I love reading all this. Do they're bites puncture skin? Or just feel like a vice?...I hope mine gets big enough to bite me lol he's a little touch and go at the moment. :(

LOL! Trust me you don't want to be bit! It wasn't malicious when Dexter did it, it was purely and accident and she seemed to know it too. She bit right at the tip of my finger so it swelled and bled just a little bit. It hurt for like a day.

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That's why I went with the beardie for my 9 yr old son. I wanted something that enjoyed interacting, hardy and was easy to handle. With that being said, I am %100 involved in his care. Every part of It. All it took was one you tube video and I fell in love! I'm looking forward to watching him thrive and grow! He loves watching my dogs. He will come to his cage front and just watch them. Lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's why I went with the beardie for my 9 yr old son. I wanted something that enjoyed interacting, hardy and was easy to handle. With that being said, I am %100 involved in his care. Every part of It. All it took was one you tube video and I fell in love! I'm looking forward to watching him thrive and grow! He loves watching my dogs. He will come to his cage front and just watch them. Lol

Bearded dragons are the best family members and I love that you are 100% involved in it's care! I'm going to go off on a tangent, but it makes me mad to see parents buy animals like reptiles and amphibians for their kids but refuse to take responsibility. If you are responsible for a child then you are responsible for their pets that you bought them! Plus if you are buying your child an exotic animal it's your responsibility to research what you are buying. I could go on and on about this topic, but it's been a long day, and i'm already irritated!

Latest posts