• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diet Question: First-Time Beardie Owner

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, I'm a first-time poster and first-time beardie owner. I've had my guy for 3 days and I want to make sure I'm feeding him correctly.

His sleep schedule is 9 to 9, and I've been feeding him crickets (smaller than the space between his eyes) at about 10 and 5 while leaving a dish of veggies out for him throughout the day.

I'm not sure exactly how old he is, but his SVL is right at about 3 inches.
Also in the 3 days I've had him, he hasn't pooped at all, though I see no bulging at his tailbase, and he can still move around just fine. I've let him soak in warm, shallow water, and still no poop.

Am I feeding him as I should, or should I make changes to his feeding schedule?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The size of the crickets sounds fine. How long does it take him to eat all 15 crickets?

Also, lighting and temps are important with beardie digestion. What UV light do you use? What are your hot and cold temps? What do you use to measure your temps?

BTW...welcome!

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Bienvenidos! ;D Welcome newbie, I've been a member since December 2009 and I'm still learning something new everyday! Pictures please- we LOVE pictures

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've been feeding him a lot less than 15 at a time. I asked for about two days' worth of crickets each time I was at the store, and was given about 10 to 12 crickets. So, I've been giving him about 5 to 6 a day.

I have a 50W UVA about 10 to 12 inches above his basking spot. The thermometer on the wall beside the spot says 92. When I was setting it up and the thermometer was resting on the rock, it read about 105-110.
The other bulb is a 15W 10% UVB, 33% UVA tube that is offset over into the cool side which is at 76 degrees.

I have two analog gauges on either side of the tank. On occasion, he'll move to the cool side during the day, and he always sleeps on the cool side at night. Should I post a picture of the terrarium?

I know that obesity can be a problem, and I wanted to make sure that having a constant supply of veggies in the dish during the day was alright.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and its great that you are here asking questions, ask anything, no question is a stupid question, we are all here to learn from each other. Everyone will help you and you will learn so much.

5-6 crix a day is not enough crix for you little one. My little one was only fed that many crix by the guy I got him from and he was in bad shape when I got him, I have pictures of him when I first got him in the picture section. Babies need a lot of crix. They should be eating 25-100 per day, Slyder eats on average of 100-120/day. As many as they will eat in 15 minuets and take out what ever is not eaten. I order my crix online in bulk, 1,000 last me 10 days and 2,000 last me 20 days.

I think the not pooping is due to relocation stress but needs to be watched closely. You should use a digital probe or temp gun to monitor your temps. The stick on ones can be off by up to 20 degrees.

What kind of flooring are you using?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, as Sandra points out, the stick on thermometers can be off by 20 degrees. You'll want to get a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun. You will want the hot side around 110F for babies. The cool side should be around 85F. Night temps should not fall below 65F.

Babies can eat anywhere from 25 - 75 crickets per day. Salad can be offered daily.

Do you know the make and model of the UV light? Is it a ReptiSun 10.0 for example. It should be printed on the tube if you don't have the box anymore.

Yes, beardies can be overweight, but these issues are rare and usually don't come into play until adulthood. Babies need to eat A LOT because they have a lot of growing to do.

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When you say 25-100 crickets, are you talking about pinhead crickets, or ones that are a touch smaller than the size between their eyes?

ZooMed ReptiHalogen 50 Watt UVA
ExoTerra ReptiGlo 15W 18" 10.0 UVB

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For the crickets (as Sandra said - 25-100), it is appropriate sized ones. Repti-Glo's are said to cause eye problems in bearded dragons. For a basking light (in your case, the ZooMed hallogen), you can just use a regular household bulb - no need for those expensive reptile basking light. A great lighting suggestion is the Repti-Sun 10.0 and a regular household bulb (with the right wattage - you may need to play around with wattages to get the correct temp).

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yup. 25-100 sized the space between the eyes per day. Slyder eats about 100-120 per day and a ton of veggies but he is a very big eater. I order my crix in bulk to save money and always have enough to feed him. I order 1,000-2,000 at a time.

I always like to tell people this b/c this is what happened when someone followed the pet store feeding instructions:
100_0623.jpg

I got him from a guy that feed 10 every other day. I would have fed him the same if someone did not tell me how much they need to eat. This makes me sad when I see how he was.

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He had some strawberries earlier along with his crickets
DSC08345.jpg

Also, he pooped today, twice actually, so I'm feeling quite a bit better about that aspect than I was before.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pooping is always a reason to celebrate.

I'd change your UV light. As pointed out, the ReptiGLO has been known to cause issues with bearded dragon's eyes. Go with the ReptiSUN 10.0 tube. It is the best on the market. Beardies need a high level of UV to thrive in captivity.

I'd also up his number of crickets. Young beardies should eat 2-3 times per day. They will eat as many crickets as they feel in a 10 minute interval. So, drop in 10 crickets, after he gobbles them up, drop 5 more in and so on.

I like to recommend daily baths for bearded dragons under 6 months of age.

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'll see if the store has a SUN-10 tube this afternoon.

I've given him a nice, warm soak every day apart from the day I brought him home (didn't want to add too much stress).
He seems to enjoy soaking, though he's scared to death of drips of water from the tips of my fingers when he's in his viv and even moreso when it comes to the misting bottle.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you can't find that R-sun at your local shop, see if they can order one in special for you. You can also order on over the internet from Pet Mountain, or through our store here on this site, which will link you to Pet Mountain.

Cosworth

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Speaking of ordering online, where would one recommend buying crickets from? Any favorite/preferred sites?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay.. hold on.. I'll get you both cricket and roach info.. this way you can explore both options.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another great supplier, and he usually works with people if they require special orders or want to mix their orders. They're in your area practically.

Contact Cortland.

[email protected]

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh so cute!!!!

I get my crickets from ghann.com. They have great prices and very healthy.

Latest posts