• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diarrhea

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi I have notcice the last couple of days that scarlett has poop in her tank it has been really soft and some was like water. I will take a pic next time. Scarlett is 6 months basking is between 108.0-110.0 cool side runs 78-85. 40 gallon breeder tank. Feeds on crickets and dubia roaches. Greens is turnip and mustard and collard. Raspberries every once awile. Uvb light is a repitilesun 10.0 she gets a soak every other day

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it continues, be sure to keep it well hydrated, as diarrhea can & will quickly lead to dehydration. If it is only for a few days, you have nothing to worry about.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
How long have you been giving a soak every other day? Just while she's been having diarrhea? Because that's a bit too frequent of a bath schedule. Usually 2x/wk max unless there's extenuating circumstances.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there, do you have pics of the stool? To me from your description sounds like a well hydrated animal. If it is diarrhea like Germ said you want to be sure to keep on hydration. Constant diarrhea can be a sign of a few things: A. Parasite B. illness/infection C. Introduced a new food D. A food that is irratating to a dragon,

Aleena is correct that baths can be to frequent. For what it is worth, I do however believe a 6 month old can benefit from every other day baths. Once they hit an adult age of a year or older. Twice a week is good care imo.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
How long have you been giving a soak every other day? Just while she's been having diarrhea? Because that's a bit too frequent of a bath schedule. Usually 2x/wk max unless there's extenuating circumstances.
Well I had been doing it two weeks after I got her.had her since October. I have another one that a year old and they are on the same schedule he is doing good.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi there, do you have pics of the stool? To me from your description sounds like a well hydrated animal. If it is diarrhea like Germ said you want to be sure to keep on hydration. Constant diarrhea can be a sign of a few things: A. Parasite B. illness/infection C. Introduced a new food D. A food that is irratating to a dragon,

Aleena is correct that baths can be to frequent. For what it is worth, I do however believe a 6 month old can benefit from every other day baths. Once they hit an adult age of a year or older. Twice a week is good care imo.
I don't have pic but will take one if she has another one like it. I'm planning on get her check out by the vet after Christmas just make sure that she a healthy

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Well I had been doing it two weeks after I got her.had her since October. I have another one that a year old and they are on the same schedule he is doing good.
It is, of course, up to you, but straight from the Basic BD Care sheet:
"A twice weekly misting from head to tail with a fine spray mister of room temperature water helps hydration and shedding. Two or three times a month let your dragon have a bath in chest deep warm water, not too hot"

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It is, of course, up to you, but straight from the Basic BD Care sheet:
"A twice weekly misting from head to tail with a fine spray mister of room temperature water helps hydration and shedding. Two or three times a month let your dragon have a bath in chest deep warm water, not too hot"

The only time I vary from this basic guide is if the dragon is on medication such as Albon,etc which is very hard on the kidneys and liver and requires that extra measures are taken to keep the dragon hydrated so that their system will flush and the organs aren't damaged or as has been mentioned if there is a prolonged bout of diarrhea that is making the creature dehydrate faster or finally if there is a shed about to or occurring at the moment to relieve the discomfort and irritation. As soon as these conditions are done and over then I go back to the 2-3 times a month schedule.

One thing to keep in mind about these creatures and bathing is that they are dry climate creatures and they're built for such conditions. Giving them multiple per week or even weekly baths and mistings on a prolonged bases is going against their bodies requirements and what they were designed for and it is my belief that in doing so can lead to other problems such as greater susceptibility to illnesses in much the same way as would keeping them in a high humidity environment in there enclosure. I would also compare it to taking a tropical rainforest creature and placing it in a very high heat dry desert environment. They just aren't built to survive and thrive in such.

As to the diarrhea I would not be concerned at seeing it unless it becomes consistent or worse over several days at which point it's time to figure out what is causing it. Other things that I pay attention to is smell...if the odor of it becomes very potent then I would watch it extra close.

The main thing when stuff like this occurs is to not panic at the first sign. It is quite possible as has been mentioned already that something they ate just didn't sit well and remember too that these dragons are generally very hardy creatures that can take care of many issues on their own. For instance the dreaded URI. Given the proper environmental conditions and nutrition they can get over URIs on their own in a couple of days. Kinda like us getting a cold. So it doesn't mean that at the first signs of mouth gaping or the first cough, click, or hiccup that they have to be rushed to a vet for meds.

Just my twenty-three cents worth:)...smh.. I remember when opinions were only two cents...LOL:D

Hope Scarlett's tummy gets better soon!!

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
From working with a few dragons (100+ :D) runny poop is generally a good sign you're keeping the animal very well hydrated. I have perfectly healthy dragons that poop a puddle every time. I know for a fact that they don't have parasites because I dose out Pancur and Albon REGULARLY. Before I get attacked for cleaning out their digestive system, I know enough on treating these animals to give them enough time to build their good bacteria back up. I wouldn't stress too much if she's not showing any signs of lethargy or dehydration. Just keep an eye on her.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok this isn't scarlett poop this is Jessie poop this morning this looks just like hers did first time I noctice his like this. I will change their schedule. Soak on Monday and friday

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353070416877.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353070416877.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 90

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If someone else has any ideas as to the poop issue I would appreciate it since my baby has been dewormed and is still having issues as well that look quite similar to bouncer36's photo.

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If someone else has any ideas as to the poop issue I would appreciate it since my baby has been dewormed and is still having issues as well that look quite similar to bouncer36's photo.
Jessie has cleared of worms last month so he doesn't have worms. Scarlett has never seen a vet yet just got her last month waiting until after Christmas to take her

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok this isn't scarlett poop this is Jessie poop this morning this looks just like hers did first time I noctice his like this. I will change their schedule. Soak on Monday and friday
That looks like well hydrated poop to me. With well hydrated poop, there will be some liquid and this doesn't seem to be in excess or like it's really runny.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm gonna throw my vote in the ring that the poop in question here is just good ol' well hydrated poop and nothing to be concerned about and a sign that your dragon's thirst has definitely been quenched:D

On another note and not meant to call anyone out in specific as I can and do respect all experience folks have with creatures that they care for whether that experience be with caring for one or a hundred or more but I do not believe that dosing REGULARLY with harsh medications such as PANCUR or ALBON as a preventative measure is a wise choice.

These medication are extremely hard on the creatures organs namely the kidneys and liver and are meant to be used under specific conditions to cure parasite problems when they occur. Repeatedly used when not necessary only puts the creatures organs under stress that can lead to causing long term and irreversible damage. Also continued use antibiotics, wormers and other drugs when they are not needed is the exact reason that we have parasites, bacteria and other nasty little things in the world today that have mutated and are now resistant or even totally unphased by available drugs period. The same has been found when looking at pesticides and herbicides available on the market today that have been over used and misused so often over the years that we now have insects and weeds that they no longer have any affect on.

A far better method of controlling parasites in dragons albeit a little more work than a dose of medicine to "flush the system" is through proper nutrition, proper housing and husbandry practices. Keeping the creatures environment properly cleaned on a regular and consistent schedule goes a long way toward controlling or even eliminating parasite issues. And in the case of housing multiple creatures so does minimizing the possibility of transferring parasites from one enclosure to another or one animal to another. Providing proper housing and environment for the creature as well as proper nutrition helps the creatures body and immune system grow strong which that being right gives them the tools and equipment necessary to fight and stave off most parasitic outbreaks naturally without the need for drugs period.

Medications have their purposes and when used correctly they can be life savers. However when there are viable and effective alternatives to taking care of the problem then those alternatives should be at the top of the list and the meds saved as a go-to when all else fails.

Just my opinion here,folks:)

Have a great weekend!!

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Scarlett is good she poop in tank yesterday and it was not running all good I'm glad it wasn't nothing to worry about. I am going to change their bath schedule to Monday and Fridays instead of every other day

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ok this is scarlett poop this morning

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353245629517.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353245629517.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 66