• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter has a vet visit

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I spend most of my time helping everyone else, I find I rarely post about my babies. So last summer Dexter had some swollen tissue at the front of her mouth. We went to a vet and they couldn't find any cause for it. She was still eating and acting normal so we didn't want to do a biopsy and hurt her mouth to the point she wouldn't want to eat.

The past few months have been real crazy for me (my father passed away) and I have spent a lot of my weekends out of town and a couple of weeks where I was real sick. Well the tissue has started to swell again to the point that it comes out of her mouth and it looks like a huge blood blister. This past weekend the swelling has gone down to the point where she can close her mouth but she must have bit it because there was dried blood on her lip :(

Anyway, tomorrow night is her vet visit. On the recommendation of the vet we previously seen, we are going to someone that is better experienced with reptiles. I tried to get her in last Thursday but they didn't have anything. I'm very nervous for her. I'm sure it's going to be another round of antibiotics and most likely surgery to remove the tissue and probably a blood test and X-rays. I'm sure it's going to be millions of dollars LOL!

Keep her in your thoughts. I'll update the post tomorrow night and let you all know what happens. I would post pictures but the only ones I have are screenshots from a video and the forum doesn't accept that format.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hang in there Patsy I know things have been rough for you but Dexter is one strong girl and I hope that they figure out once and for all what this thing is and get rid of it..

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Patsy- so sorry to hear about your father. And then to get sick and now your baby is hurting too. Sounds like a tough few months indeed. Hopefully they can figure out whats going on with your Dexter and get her fixed up. Keep us posted.

I think i can probably speak for the whole forum when i say we really appreciate your help and input. You log in and dish out advice pretty much every day, and you've certainly helped improve the lives of beardies all over the world by educating their owners. I know you've personally helped me plenty of times. Hang in there, my thoughts will be with you and Dexter!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@BrookeE thanks for your kind words. I love giving advise and helping people, even when they don't want it LOL!

Her appointment is tomorrow and it can't come fast enough. I tried cleaning her up tonight but even just dabbingnthe area with a Q-tip is bothering her. Her dad says it's because she's tired of being picked on but I have that mothers intuition that it's a little more. She just looks uncomfortable.

This was from Thursday. You can see the tissue coming out.
IMG_8047.JPG

This was today. The tissue is more in her mouth now but you can see she can't close her mouth there. She has a little on the other side, but not this bad.
IMG_8195.JPG

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hdrydr already knows, but Dexter is in perfect health! It seems like the problem in her mouth is just some granulation scar tissue, kinda like when you bite your cheek over and over again. We did a culture that didn't show anything. Blood tests showed her WBC is elevated but that is to be expected with whatever is going on with her. Her chem panels came back great. Kidney and liver function is good. Phosphorus levels are good. Calcium is a little elevated so we are keeping an eye on that since that can mean she is starting the reproductive processes. So we are just going to continue what we are doing for 21 days. Cleaning the mouth with chlorhexidine and using silver sulphazidine. We also added an antibiotic that she gets every 3 days under her skin. I opted for that over oral meds because I don't want to force her mouth open to take medicine. After 21 days we go in for a recheck, if things haven't changed, we will discuss surgically removing it. He doesn't want to do it now because he doesn't like to give them anesthesia if he doesn't have to. Even if he removes it, there is a chance of it coming back again. So hopefully we can get it to go down again with the meds.

The vet said that he can tell that I take good care of her, she looks real good. I told him that once a month I give her a dose of oral calcium and B Complex vitamins. He loved that, he said he is a firm believer of giving vitamins and such. In fact, he put some B12 and Vitamin C into her antibiotics.

Right now she is very pissed at me and sulking in her tank. Still not to interested in eating anything but she just got her first shot of antibiotics last night so I'll give her some time.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
very glad to hear she's doing okay! would be great if the problem cleared itself up and could avoid surgery. either way she's in good hands!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She seems to be feeling better. She ate 3 super worms yesterday and she is very alert this morning and already looking to see what she can get into. Tomorrow I give her the next dose of antibiotic. I'm also going to feed her a worm with some serappatase in it so that the antibiotics can work a little better.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just read all of this, I have very little time to be as active here as I'd like to be. I'm so glad to hear she is doing okay. Poor little girl has had a time with all of that but at least now you know for sure your baby is okay

Latest posts