• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dex not eating this morning

QueenElizardbethII

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you mean the dubia? Thanks didn't realize that they were as fattening. I thought it was the worms I had to stay away from right now. He hasn't had any interest in worms yet though I tried once to put two teeny ones on his salad to see if he'd eat it. Nope he eyed them, but didn't want. His normal daily quantity intake preference is still crickets. Phew! I think it's because they are more fun to catch. lol
So dubia are the least fattening, with a fat percentage of I think 5%, crickets have I believe 6% or 7%, and worms are the highest at I think 18% or somewhere around there. So the crickets and roaches are definitely a better option, but it is still good to keep watch on how much you give him. Since he’s still little right now I’d say keep the cricket count on a bit of a limit, (for my girl I gave her 4-5 every two days) then as he gets older cut back, either on the amount of days you give him the bugs or the number of bugs. It sounds like you are taking excellent care of him and you seem extremely enthused about him. I hope things get figured out! :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So dubia are the least fattening, with a fat percentage of I think 5%, crickets have I believe 6% or 7%, and worms are the highest at I think 18% or somewhere around there. So the crickets and roaches are definitely a better option, but it is still good to keep watch on how much you give him. Since he’s still little right now I’d say keep the cricket count on a bit of a limit, (for my girl I gave her 4-5 every two days) then as he gets older cut back, either on the amount of days you give him the bugs or the number of bugs. It sounds like you are taking excellent care of him and you seem extremely enthused about him. I hope things get figured out! :)
Wow interesting info on the percentages. Learned something new today. Ok, will keep my eye on quantity better! Usually I let him decide when he's done each feeding. I start with crickets and insert a dubia inbetween. So I shouldn't be concerned that Dex doesn't seem to eat the mass quantities that what I've read says he should be eating? I always thought he was not eating as much as he should based on what I read. He eats like a piggy most days, but not near to the 50-80 a day I read they should be eating at his age. His little belly just isn't that big. Awww thanks for your support. I'm doing everything I can to make him a happy baby. :) If I'm in doubt, you peeps here are excellent at providing answers and direction, so thank you!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They can start brumating at any age really. It is just a natural instinct for them. You can “stop” him from brumating by simply giving him a warm bath- he might drink some water, then have a bit of an appetite, or he will simply stay a bit sleepy (I recommend keeping your hand under his chin if he is sleepy-in the tub) and when you put him back in his enclosure he might go back to the shady spot and go back to “sleep”. I say sleep in quotes because they don’t really sleep like a mammal would during hibernation. They can still wake up as they please and drink water but typically for brumating they will avoid food. They will do this because they brumate in the cooler side of the tank sometimes and they need heat for digestion. So it is instinctual for him to know if he eats, the food will possibly rot in his belly. If you are okay with him brumating, just be sure he doesn’t have any excessive amounts of parasites (more than the normal amount they have in their intestines). Sometimes brumating can last a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months. My dragon recently brumated and she’s back to her normal self again. It was about 3 weeks she was in brumation.
Whoa! Ok sweet. Thanks for info. I'll watch to see if shows systems of brumating. Come to think of it, he did go to bed earlier than usual last night and he wasn't in his normal spot, but spread out behind his rock on the shady side of his tank. It was only like 6:00 (his lights go out at 7:00). I checked on him and he opened one eye and looked at me, but otherwise didn't move. He doesn't usually prepare for bed that early. I wasn't too concerned as it wasn't much earlier than his lights out time. Being a baby, I figured he was just tired out after his day. He was fine this morning and up and waiting at the top of his log for breakfast when I checked on him after my coffee. lol He's throwing me all off lately. Kids! lol I'll try giving him a warm bath. He had one the day before yesterday and seems to be liking them more than he did at first. I'll be sure to keep it shallow and have an eagle eye on him. Thanks Queen!

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow interesting info on the percentages. Learned something new today. Ok, will keep my eye on quantity better! Usually I let him decide when he's done each feeding. I start with crickets and insert a dubia inbetween. So I shouldn't be concerned that Dex doesn't seem to eat the mass quantities that what I've read says he should be eating? I always thought he was not eating as much as he should based on what I read. He eats like a piggy most days, but not near to the 50-80 a day I read they should be eating at his age. His little belly just isn't that big. Awww thanks for your support. I'm doing everything I can to make him a happy baby. :) If I'm in doubt, you peeps here are excellent at providing answers and direction, so thank you!
since he’s so young let him decide when he’s full! as he gets older switch more to salad. they grow so fast they need lots of protein

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don't have sand as a substrate. He's not impacted as he's pooing regularly and it's normal. Knowing what to feed him is not silly. I've read about and asked a lot of questions about feed. He is eating dubias and crickets daily. No they are not bigger than the space between his eyes. I do offer him mixed veges every day. I do entice in various ways several times a day, as well as put fresh salad in his tank for him to eat if he wants. It is a mixture, and yes, as per recommendations I've already asked for an received, I do mix them up with with appropriate and allowable veges and a small amount of fruit. NO lettuce of any kind is included in his daily greens. I blend it in a food processor to make sure the bits are small enough for him. Per vets suggestion and because he's not eating the offered fresh veges yet, I give him organic (no additives) baby food in a bunch of different vege varities (yes, I swap them up) which he will eat. So far, he likes the squash and peas the best. He gets calcium and mineral supplements daily. His bugs are also alive. I have never thought of trying to feed him dead ones. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it, but your bedside manner (so to speak) comes across as condescending. Also, your suggestion that he was weak and has or is getting MBD wasn't even close to the concern I had the day I made this post.
that person has made comments on so many posts! you’re doing great, dont pay attention to them

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It is possible he might be trying to brumate? Sort of like reptile hibernation.
Yes probably but he still needs to poop and drink water so a warm bath and rub his tummy downward and water has to be chlorine free; chlorine hurts them and is super bad for them and get him to drink some water. Readabout brumation google it

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't have sand as a substrate. He's not impacted as he's pooing regularly and it's normal. Knowing what to feed him is not silly. I've read about and asked a lot of questions about feed. He is eating dubias and crickets daily. No they are not bigger than the space between his eyes. I do offer him mixed veges every day. I do entice in various ways several times a day, as well as put fresh salad in his tank for him to eat if he wants. It is a mixture, and yes, as per recommendations I've already asked for an received, I do mix them up with with appropriate and allowable veges and a small amount of fruit. NO lettuce of any kind is included in his daily greens. I blend it in a food processor to make sure the bits are small enough for him. Per vets suggestion and because he's not eating the offered fresh veges yet, I give him organic (no additives) baby food in a bunch of different vege varities (yes, I swap them up) which he will eat. So far, he likes the squash and peas the best. He gets calcium and mineral supplements daily. His bugs are also alive. I have never thought of trying to feed him dead ones. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it, but your bedside manner (so to speak) comes across as condescending. Also, your suggestion that he was weak and has or is getting MBD wasn't even close to the concern I had the day I made this post.
What about lights and temps? ZooMed basking bulb and temp 95-100 for an adult typically 100 is good and humidity between 30-40 only if higher than 49 then open some Windows depends on the weather and does he have a UVB Reptisun 10.0 T5? They need UVb and heat to digest and absorb calcium and have energy!! The tank needs to be light and bright. And no black or red or coiled bulbs. U will see a huge difference if u make these changes and get the ZooMed thermometer and the balck pice lay it on his basking spot to get the right temp to perfection and the husrogomwter it’s a round balck dial by Thrive is the brand and place it on basking area at the top of the Viv 2 inches below the top to see the humidity. Hope this helps

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What about lights and temps? ZooMed basking bulb and temp 95-100 for an adult typically 100 is good and humidity between 30-40 only if higher than 49 then open some Windows depends on the weather and does he have a UVB Reptisun 10.0 T5? They need UVb and heat to digest and absorb calcium and have energy!! The tank needs to be light and bright. And no black or red or coiled bulbs. U will see a huge difference if u make these changes and get the ZooMed thermometer and the balck pice lay it on his basking spot to get the right temp to perfection and the husrogomwter it’s a round balck dial by Thrive is the brand and place it on basking area at the top of the Viv 2 inches below the top to see the humidity. Hope this helps
she knows what she’s doing! any beardie owner knows that basic level of care. when she first got her beardie she was asking all sorts of questions and people have responded kindly without making assumptions.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
she knows what she’s doing! any beardie owner knows that basic level of care. when she first got her beardie she was asking all sorts of questions and people have responded kindly without making assumptions.
Thanks Avery! :)

So looks like Silver was right! Dex's eating flux was because he was getting ready to shed. He looked quite lightish colored this morning so I gave him a bath. When I went to check on him shortly after he was sitting on his log and was all flaky. He's even more so now. Any tips on how I help the lil guy during his shed? How many baths should I give him now. One a day? Or more? How long should I expect it to last? He's not eating much today. Poor thing.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks Avery! :)

So looks like Silver was right! Dex's eating flux was because he was getting ready to shed. He looked quite lightish colored this morning so I gave him a bath. When I went to check on him shortly after he was sitting on his log and was all flaky. He's even more so now. Any tips on how I help the lil guy during his shed? How many baths should I give him now. One a day? Or more? How long should I expect it to last? He's not eating much today. Poor thing.
you can give him a 15 minutes to warm bath (or however long he’ll stay in there!) once a day or multiple times if he seems to be struggling. if he’s having trouble getting some areas off, you can use a very soft bristled toothbrush a gently brush the skin. he might puff out his beard and do some weird head and body rubbing but that’s normal! just trying to loosen the shed!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
you can give him a 15 minutes to warm bath (or however long he’ll stay in there!) once a day or multiple times if he seems to be struggling. if he’s having trouble getting some areas off, you can use a very soft bristled toothbrush a gently brush the skin. he might puff out his beard and do some weird head and body rubbing but that’s normal! just trying to loosen the shed!
Thanks Avery! I do have a soft toothbrush upstairs new in package upstairs I can use. I'll keep my eye on him. He's flaky but it's just the beginning I think. How do I know if he's struggling? So far the only weird thing he's doing is hiding in his little cave rock. First time I've seen him in there. I think because it's cooler in there. Ate a small roach this morning, but doesn't seem interested in anything else. I'm going in after him in a little bit if he doesn't come out just to make sure he drinks some water.