• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dehumidifier

Demonatrix

Hatchling Dragon
Does anyone use a dehumidifier in their home for lowering the humidity in your BD's enclosure?

I have been thinking of getting one for closets and putting it by Beards tank. Humidity is usually 50% w/o the air on and 40% with the air on. I figure since I am trying to get him to recover from pneumonia the best thing to do is to lower that humidity as much as possible for him.

What do you guys and gals think?

Oh and this has nothing to do with enclosures lol but I heard somethings where BD's get dark when they sleep. Mine is the complete opposite. He gets this beautiful yellow orange white color. When he wakes up he gets darker. Dunno if that's cuz when he is asleep he isn't feeling his sickness. Anyone have any idea on that?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I had a horrible problem with my humidity, so yes, I got a dehumidifier. It works great!!! I live in a swampy area anyways which creates more humidity so at one point the humidity got up to 60 overnight and my poor baby was so lethargic the next day! So right away I went out and bought one, and it's been a life saver! I completely recommend getting one! And with the color thing, my beardie turns very dark at night until I turn his lights on the next day. A lot of people have different opinions on this, but I was told that some of them turn darker at night because it is cooler than during the day. Lately my beardie has been stressed and is dark during the day sometimes, but usually he gets lighter. I am not really sure what that means if your dragon gets lighter. I would assume it has something to do with the temperature changes, but maybe I am not 100% sure. Hope someone else might be able to help you on that question, but in the meantime, definitely get a dehumidifier if you can!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I noticed that mine will turn dark when she's cool. Then when she's handled, has eaten, went out, and heading bed, she brightens up.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie is acting extremely moody! He was fine this morning and now he is dark again with a black beard. His black beard comes and goes multiple times a day and this has been going on since he was put in his new tank which was 3 weeks ago! He also just shed and I am not sure if he is done shedding but I am hoping he just needs more shed time because this is driving me crazy with worry!! I don't know what is stressing the poor little guy out so much but I feel so helpless :(
@Demonatrix-I brought this up also because beardies can turn dark when they are stressed as well...like mine is right now! :eek:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Shedding's annoying for beardies. Their bodies itch and they want nothing more than to scratch themselves on anything and everything in the viv. You can mist him or give him a bath to relieve some of the itchiness. Or he's just needing his 'time' getting used to the tank. I suppose every beardie's different and their personalities are different from one beardie to the next. I'm not sure if anyone does this, but I find baby oil helps with small patches of shedding skin. I don't apply it all over the body, just on the skin that's coming off. Then the skin comes off whenever mine rubs her skin on me (She uses my fingers, her branch, or a baby toothbrush.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In my opinion helping sheds along in any way other than mistings & soaks is not a good plan at all. Peeling, brushing can & may possibly remove the old shed before it is ready to come off, damaging the new skin, I don't care how tenderly or gently you do it or how good your intentions are. They will shed & release their skin when it is ready to be released & that is all there is to it. They have been doing it for a long time before we brought them into captivity. If they have an itch they will rub up against something & take it off at their leisure. A stuck shed is an extremely rare occurrence. Please folks, let your BDs, be Bearded Dragons & let nature take it's course ...

Latest posts