• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

debating what to buy....

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
ok so i was looking up tanks. i have merlin in a 40 gallon breeder......i want to keep him there he likes his tank and seems happy. he is very active and loves to jump. sometimes i put him in my old chameleon free range and he loves it lol............but anyway i have a 55 gallon tank that used to be a fresh water tank from walmart......for the new baby once grown a bit would it be better to place her in there or get another 40gallon breeder.

also some cheep decorating tips would be great cause i just have like a bark cave and a stick for merlin. kinda boring. and im afraid to use sand. i know they come from sand but i have heard bad stories about what sand can sometimes cause. is it ok to never keep them in sand?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it is okay to never use Sand as a substrate, although Strained, Washed Children's Play Sand is a perfectly safe substrate for BDs 10"+ in length, nose to tip of tail. BDs are quite fine with simple & boring, fancy enclosures are for our eye candy & appeal, not always in the best interest of the BDs.

A 40 Gal Breeder is the better choice for an enclosure over a 55 Gal, as it offers more floor area & is easier to heat.

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Drift wood would be good for it to climb around on shedding and basking. And I found out using ceramic tiles as flooring is the best because it's easy to clean, retains heat, files their nails, and their food can't get under it.

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
That's what I was afraid of and carpet can snag onto their claws and you have to clean it all the time with tile you don't have those problems rough tile can even file nails

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Me personally i would never use sand I'm to scared of impaction
Strained, Children's Washed Play Sand is a very safe substrate, the only particle substrate that I would recommend, have been using it for over 11 years now, as many, many long time breeders & keepers have since the start of the hobby, for all my BDs over 10" in length, nose to tip of tail, with absolutely no issues whatsoever. In all my years in hobby, I have yet to see one proven\documented instance of impaction caused by strained Play Sand. Now if someone use Gravel or Play Sand that has not been strained, that contains larger pebbles in it, that is a different story, that is not the Sand's fault, that is pure & simple - Poor Husbandry.

Play Sand often erringly gets confused & balled into the same category as many of the unsafe commercial substrates available such as, but not limited to, Calci-Sand, Crushed\Ground Walnut shell, Dyed Sands, Cat Litter, Bark Chips, etc, etc, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way saying that Play Sand must be used, all I am saying is that it is a perfectly safe alternative & that the Hype about it is nothing more than Myth & old wives tales.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
What do you mean by washed play sand? Do you mean literally rinse through a strainer with water? If so how would you dry it out? Thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is purchased washed, but must be strained by the keeper prior to being put in the enclosure for use. It is called or generally sold as 'Children's Washed Play Sand'

Here is the Brand Brett swears by, me I am not so particular, as one brand, sold in different areas of the country are all crushed & washed in different quarries, so the quality varies across the continent, even though it is sold under the same brand name. The long & short of it is, that it must be strained to remove any of the larger pebbles to prevent issues, prior to use.

prod_1113.gif

Latest posts