• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom enclosure questions

rob.kolm

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am working on a custom enclosure from an old buffet table and have a couple of questions.

1. Temp control: I was thinking of doing something with a USB powered fan for cooling if needed and a separate thermostat controlled ceramic for additional heating if needed. That way I would not have to dim the basking light during the day. Anyone doing something like this? http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093138.html

2. Dragon and enclosure size: The enclosure will be 48x20x28 how big does the dragon need to be before he/she could move in. I have a small 10 gallon tank that the I could keep a baby in but at what point would she/he need to move out of such a small enclosure into a big one.

This forum is great and I am getting tons of ideas to make sure I get things right.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I am working on a custom enclosure from an old buffet table and have a couple of questions.

1. Temp control: I was thinking of doing something with a USB powered fan for cooling if needed and a separate thermostat controlled ceramic for additional heating if needed. That way I would not have to dim the basking light during the day. Anyone doing something like this? http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093138.html

2. Dragon and enclosure size: The enclosure will be 48x20x28 how big does the dragon need to be before he/she could move in. I have a small 10 gallon tank that the I could keep a baby in but at what point would she/he need to move out of such a small enclosure into a big one.

This forum is great and I am getting tons of ideas to make sure I get things right.

I'm a little curious about the size of the cage? The fan idea is good if you mount it on the outside facing in and have a vent in the way so nothing (like crickets) can get out.

Then again I'm not to sure how they like having a breeze haha.

rob.kolm

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The enclosure is basically 4 foot by 20 inches and 28 inches tall. I was thinking of putting the fan temp probe on the cool side floor and exhausting with the fan from near the top of the cool side if the cool side ever got too warm.

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Anyone that has a melemine enclosure, put your head in there and take a whiff. Does it have an odor? Because I can't get rid of the odor in mine and I'm not putting Phoenix in there until I can't smell it haha.

As far as the cool side now that my venting is over,
Are you going to set it up on a sensor so it kicks on when it gets over say 90? Honestly it's a cool idea but with a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft the temp gradient is super easy to manage. My room stays in the 70's typically but the heat from the basking side carries over a bit so it keeps it 80's to 90's on that side by itself.

I have ramps and platforms so there are quite a few temp gradients throughout. I just used the wrong silicone and now I can't get that odor out

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Anyone that has a melemine enclosure, put your head in there and take a whiff. Does it have an odor? Because I can't get rid of the odor in mine and I'm not putting Phoenix in there until I can't smell it haha.

As far as the cool side now that my venting is over,
Are you going to set it up on a sensor so it kicks on when it gets over say 90? Honestly it's a cool idea but with a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft the temp gradient is super easy to manage. My room stays in the 70's typically but the heat from the basking side carries over a bit so it keeps it 80's to 90's on that side by itself.

I have ramps and platforms so there are quite a few temp gradients throughout. I just used the wrong silicone and now I can't get that odor out
I have a melamine enclosure and does not stink other than beardie poop....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414607123656.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414607123656.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 101
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414607162060.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414607162060.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
With that large of an enclosure, it shouldnt be necessary to have the fan and sensor in there. A vent on either side or the back should be enough to release the heat if necessary. The problem is that the days when it might be necessary, you want the thermostat on the heat source rather than just a fan on the cool side. With a thermostat, it really shouldnt be cutting your lights/heat off at all except in an emergency. Otherwise its just a matter of setting it up so that it has the thermogradient right without further controls.

As for the enclosure size, go ahead and put the little one straight in. The key to having a small lizard in a big enclosure though is lots of stuff inside it. Animals dont normally like wide open spaces, especially when little. So literally cover the ground in logs, branches, hides, plants, rocks and other things. That way if it gets spooked by anything, it always knows there is somewhere for it to hide. Its when you have barren open space that they can get pretty stressed and stop eating on you. Also since you have that height, lots of branches leading up will help. They tend to feel more secure when they are up off the ground.

Beardielizzy

Hatchling Dragon
That three tier beardie enclosure is pretty cool ! I want one ! You must of made the furniture inside ? So cool I love the one that has the climbing up on and then a shelf going across

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Figure this is a good place to ask haha. Who wants to give me advice on how to get the cool side cooler, 75w on bottom and 50w on top. The basking spot on bottom typically doesn't get past 105 maybe 110 if it's hot outside. The top gets from 110-115

The temp of the rocks are roughly 110-120 using a temp gun

The cool side of the bottom is between 85-90 but more towards 90 from what I've seen.

The cool side of the top is 90-95 from what I've also seen.

I already drilled 2, 3" holes on the left side or "cool side" on both cages which brought it down to the numbers I just stated. Before it was a bit hotter. Maybe put the 50w on bottom? Up for anything. Trying not to drill

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
For those of you who don't know my build its a 4'x2'x4' with a divider half way up making two cages.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415673131.340923.jpg

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
In my
Head I feel like alternating basking sides would just increase the heat on both sides a bit? Haha but I can try tomorrow morning

Toni17

Hatchling Dragon
The 100w bulb in the tank was only averaging 91 degrees and the dragons seemed like they were always standing on their back legs and straining to get more heat. I ended up putting an extra 100w bulb side-by-side with other light.

Has anyone ever tried the heat bulbs that food servers use to keep food hot?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You can.... But they get really hot and require a porcelain fixture or they will melt...... In my setup the bulbs are 50watt reptisun basking bulbs....... If I used a standard halogen flood bulb even a 25 Watt bulb made the basking spot over 150 degree

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
I'm not so much worried about the hotness of the basking spot they seem to enjoy themselves over there but Its the cool side i want to try and get a little cooler, the basking might be considered a little to hot but there's different levels they can be on haha

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you want it cooler on the cool side than u need more and better air flow........ Most will put two 3 inch holes on the side at floor level the two opposite side at the top..... This allows air to flow threw the tank..... Pushes cool air in the bottom and let's hot air out the top...... Or do what I did at cut out a big hole in the back...... Mine is 4 or so high by 2 feet longish

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The 100w bulb in the tank was only averaging 91 degrees and the dragons seemed like they were always standing on their back legs and straining to get more heat. I ended up putting an extra 100w bulb side-by-side with other light.

Has anyone ever tried the heat bulbs that food servers use to keep food hot?

Toni, just build the basking spot higher, so its closer to the light, or move the light so that it is shining directly down onto the basking area, instead of from the side. That should solve your problems. You do not want to use a warming element from a restaurant kitchen. That is all heat and no light, which is not what you want from a basking area.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm not so much worried about the hotness of the basking spot they seem to enjoy themselves over there but Its the cool side i want to try and get a little cooler, the basking might be considered a little to hot but there's different levels they can be on haha

Tyler, try to start your questions in a separate thread so you dont get so much cross responses like this. Not having a go at you man, just trying to make sure everyone can get their questions answered without too much confusion. Put a small close-able vent on the bottom by the basking area. That way you can release heat from below when needed but also can close it if its too much. You can also look at lining the ceiling of the bottom viv with that 1" foam sheet insulation, but the vent would be easier.

Latest posts