• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom Dragon Leash

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Got some leather cord and small light jump rings used for chainmaille. Time to experiment with a leash!
Since its light, smooth, will be padded, non-edible and non-corrosive I figured why not.
Most importantly, I do not think it would hurt but I need a second opinion about my dragons health with this before I attempt anything.
The leather is soft and doesnt catch on him.

Sent from my ROOTED LG Motion 4G using Tapatalk 2

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
DUDE!! I was just talking about doing this earlier. :)
I thought some sort of soft-rope and leather chest/arm area would do.
Seen some pretty simple DIY reptile leashes.

I'll post pics here once something comes together.

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
DUDE!! I was just talking about doing this earlier. :)
I thought some sort of soft-rope and leather chest/arm area would do.
Seen some pretty simple DIY reptile leashes.

I'll post pics here once something comes together.
Please do, I'll add the chainmail to that design over top of it and then I can send you one, too. Just gotta make sure it's comfy.

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
I was thinking a clip at the handler end like the Commercial ones. for your belt loop or whatever. these guys just grow so fast, have to make a leash and harnesses as you go. But i guess if you're like me more dragons are in the works. :) cheers!!

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was thinking a clip at the handler end like the Commercial ones. for your belt loop or whatever. these guys just grow so fast, have to make a leash and harnesses as you go. But i guess if you're like me more dragons are in the works. :) cheers!!
Like that idea. Maybe a small clip fot smaller dragons to attach to necklaces or grommets on your hoodie, something like that.
Belt clip with extension chain for the big ones. Lol. This has some potential... Lets see how far it goes and how many uses we can bleed from it.

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
These are the ones that we make, generally are adjustable from a 12-13" dragon & up ...

Hand Made Harnesses
Omg! I love it! I'm hitting up michaels for some more soft leather tomorrow!!! This looks INCREDIBLY easy to make, should have NO problem getting the rings attached!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :D:D:D

Sent from my typewriter using Tapatalk 2

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry I was gone so long. Didn't have a phone at the time.

The harness is built, and was a hit at the Strawberry Festival. I'm hoping even better results come from the Heritage Fest..
I think he finally broke out of his shell too. Loved the attention and while walking around he went back and forth from me to Mommy.
I gotta dig up the chainmaille part. Was working on it last night as well as a massive patch to put on this one guys homemade monitor harness. Lol. Here's pics of the patch from last night til I find my own lizards harness... :D
Imagine this but with smaller rings. Actually, I used those same small rings I used to tie those ends together. Tried the big rings at first but it looked silly. Probably weighed the same though... 2nd pic would be the big rings. He's grown a lot but even on a full grown beardie, the smaller rings look more like a real chainmaille shirt/cape. Also, the leather cords on the actual chainmaille aren't there on the final product. Those were my biggest safety concern.

I'll post more pics asap. While he is wearing it and when he isn't.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371665441640.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371665441640.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 163
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371665939961.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371665939961.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 171

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I really would have to say that the "chainmail" is not a good idea. While it may look cool to some I can pretty much tell you that your dragon in fact will not enjoy wearing it as well as it not being a good thing for him to be wearing.
Your chainmail harness is actually very cruel to the creature. The scales on reptiles go in one direction usually from head to tail. As long as when touched it is done in the direction of the scales then all is fine. However if they are stroked or raked in the opposite direction then it causes the creature great pain much the same as if someone were to pinch you really hard.
The rings of your chainmail will be constantly rubbing in all directions and therefore will cause your dragon pain. Not a good thing!
If you are intent on giving your already well armored dragon another suit of armour then you need to start with a smooth harness such as those that Germ makes and then attach the chainmail to the outside of that harness so that the metal rings will not come in contact with the dragon's scales at all.

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Start with a smooth harness such as those that Germ makes and then attach the chainmail to the outside of that harness so that the metal rings will not come in contact with the dragon's scales at all.
Bingo. The pic was just of the rings. I'm trying to dig up the finished product cuz germ showed me those in an earlier post. There is a ring on the outside of the harness the chainmaille clasps to. Lol.

Sent from my typewriter using Tapatalk 2

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounding like an awful lot of uncomfortable added weight, simply for unnecessary eye candy to me.

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Registers at the same weight of just the leather chest peice. Reconsidered weight and changed design and material. Lighter rings and snag resistant cloth. He seems to really like it now. :)
The pic makes it look tight but the cord for you to hold onto was draped over the back of my hand for the pic. I can fit 2 fingers between him and the harness. IS THIS TOO LOOSE?

uploadfromtaptalk1374811525374.jpg

Latest posts