• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crickets or Raoches??

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
I currently have crickets and Gordo loves them... I have heard of Dubia roaches?? What are they?
Also I want to breed the crickets if its possible to save me money. Does anyone have recommendations on which one is
A.)easier to breed
B.) live longer
C.) have better nutritional value?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Roaches Hands Down!!!

A.)easier to breed
Roaches are much easier to keep & breed. Very little smell if kept properly, easier to contain, no noise, no hopping.
B.) live longer
Crickets generally mature & die within a couple of months. A Dubia or Discoid roaches lifespan is generally 1.5-2 years
C.) have better nutritional value?
Roaches have a much higher protein content & much higher meat to shell ratio.

There is nothing wrong with feeding crickets, they have been the general main source of sustenance for BDs since the start of the hobby. Crickets are fine, just that Roaches are a better feeder choice, but some or all Tropical Roaches are illegal in some places. For example, Discoid Roaches are legal in Florida, but most other Tropical roaches are not & all Tropical Roaches are illegal in Canada.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
index.php

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
ROACHES ROACHES ROACHES! Did I mention the correct answer is ROACHES??? :cool:

Read the stickied post about breeding dubia roaches. Since you live in California you should have no problem getting your hands on some. I got some good ones from Small Pet Feeders and some breeding pairs from Doodlebug Critters. I also got about 250 nymphs from a guy off eBay.

Really easy to find, very easy to care for. Nice and hardy too - out of the 24 adults, 75 mixed nymphs, and 250 nymphs, ZERO died in transit from Georgia and New York.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - my dragon absolutely LOVES them. No joke, he flies through the air off his basking driftwood to get to them. It's quite funny.

Beardiesrock84

Hatchling Dragon
Thats kinda what Gordo does now for the crickets he loves them and knows whats going on when I'm getting them ready to feed him its adorable to watch! I still have some crickets left, I think I will do my research on breeding roaches and proper care of them and start my roach adventure. It is quite funny that beardie owners "like" roaches in their house ahahahaa....
Thank you for the info! I have always fed crickets and recently learned about the roaches. I am going to research and see where I can get them here in Sacramento :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Check out www.dubideli.com. They are based out of Sacramento. I have never done business with them but their prices are decent and they seem legit. I was thinking about using them if in a few weeks i decide it would make more sense to have more females to keep my colony going. Man, I'm not lying when I say that I'm becoming more roach expert than beardie. :cool:

If you don't feel comfortable with what they have to offer, I want to stress there are lots of options across the US, and these feeders are near indestructible in the mail. I will admit initially I was nervous about how many would make it, but with heat packs and 3 day service I doubt I'll ever worry again.

Latest posts