• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

crickets and UVB?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
well right now i have crickets i order by the hundreds online and i want to keep them alive and kicking!

i am useing a 50watt bulb for heat cuz i read they need it to be like 80F to survive.

my question is do they need uvb? 500 should last me around a month at the rate he is eatting them so i want to keep them as long as possable(they are around 3/8 of an inch i think maybe half an inch)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Crickets like dark places, I don't think they need UVB. I have been ordering them by the thousand and can usually get most of them to last a week (until they're all consumed) by keeping them in the dark. Just make sure there's plenty of air flow! And account for how much they're going to grow in the time until they are consumed. I buy mine two sizes too small. (1/16th of an inch when they can eat 1/4 inch) because they'll all be 1/4 inch by the end of the week.

Edit in: I also do not use extra heat for them, but I keep them in the same room that I have the dragons in which stays warm. I let that room get to 65 at night and the crickets seem to be fine with it.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i can feed 1/2 inch to my bearded and even the bigger ones, i just cut um in half. i figured most all living things need UVB so if i wanted them to last a month i might need it, though idk.

when i got the last shipment of 500 it only lasted lke 12 days due to death in shipment and on my part. i hope these last longer as i have learned alot.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i can feed 1/2 inch to my bearded and even the bigger ones, i just cut um in half. i figured most all living things need UVB so if i wanted them to last a month i might need it, though idk.

when i got the last shipment of 500 it only lasted lke 12 days due to death in shipment and on my part. i hope these last longer as i have learned alot.
I'm sure you have. You're pretty good about that stuff! Someone else might have more info on the UVB, but I don't think it would be necessary with crickets. They only come out at night in nature, really.

Latest posts