• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket disaster!

Christen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've been ordering crickets by the bulk offline for my Beardie. I've been ordering about 500 at the time. I had set up a tuber-ware container with holes in the top of it. I kept the container in the garage. I feed/ gut loaded my crickets and gave the a sponge of water when needed. Well, one day I went in the garage to get my hungry beardie some dinner. When I opened the tuber-ware container, maggots covered the whole container and majority of my cricket were dead. I think this happened because the holes at the top of the container are to big and somehow a fly decide it wanted to multiply inside the container.

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Christian

a Tupperware container with holes in the top should be fine... with a few conditions. From what you've said about maggots you've obviously got dead crix.

How big a container have you got them in? have they room to move without walking all over each other?

Your gut feeding which is great, how much food are you putting in? eg are you throwing in so much your theoretically putting excess weight on the crix ?

Ive been using a container 45 x 40 x 25 for years, I use egg boxes along the base and another row higher up thus making enough space for them to walk without getting crushed.

Before I load the crix into the container I make a "Bug Grub" by using a food mixer with Bran flacks, Oates, powdered cuttle fish (calcium), digestive biscuits and Nutribol... they love it and its so much cheaper and better than bought "bug grub" this is spread across the base and over the egg cartons. I add carrot, cabbage, lettuce, orange half's in small quantaties then add the crix.

If they have room to move they should be ok...

How many dragons have you got? Im assuming more than 1 if your buying 500 at a time. maybe its worth buying less and seeing how you get on. Ive been using www.livefoodonline.com for sometime, excellent price, excellent quality and ive only ever had a few dead crix

Hope this helps

If it doesn't... vix nasal spray helps with the smell :)

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry I buy my crix 375 - 400 at a time without a problem, but split that between 9 dragons (the other 2 will only eat hoppers)... there not in there long :)

Dunc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
In my opinion Crix Keepers or Boxes that are “adequate” to keep the crix healthy are fine.. Im not bothered which. The word Adequate is important

I have seen Crix kept in cramped situations where I doubt there getting the nutrients they require, The simple truth is if we as responsible owners don’t look after our beardies food.. how can we expect to have healthy Beardies if we feed them unhealthy Crix ?

Id say Christian is either expecting to long a shelf life from his crix, not enough house keeping.. either way sorry Christian you need to re-asses the way your looking after your crix.

Maybe you should follow Dragonx6 advise and use a Crix Keeper Id imagine that when you buy them they say how many crix they can hold.

Me, Im tight so I’ll carry on with my cheap method that possibly requires a greater level of house keeping

A couple of links that may help you

Type of Keeper http://www.ghann.com/faq.cfm#4

How long will Crix Live http://www.ghann.com/faq.cfm#8

Latest posts