• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crazy, Stupid..... or genius

Bearded Dinger

Bearded Dragon Egg
The enclosure we currently have is a 36 x 18 and I want to take a foot of it and make a sandbox. I was planning on doing this by using plexi glass and making a 2" to 4" deep pit. What do you guys think?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Contrary to popular opinion – – not all dragons like to dig. I filled in large pot saucer with sand - neither of mine were interested in the least. you might try that first

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Canicke before you go through all the trouble I would try something temporary first, like a plastic shoe box or a small kitty litter box. Also, not sure what kind of decorations or climbing things you have in your tank but the 36x18 isn't really big once your dragon gets full size. I would avoid permanently taking away any floor space.

To put it in perspective, My 2 year old weighs 1 pound and is 18" long. That means she's half the length of the tank. She has just enough space to walk around and she uses her vertical space a lot.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does your dragon dig very much? Some do and some don't. I like the recommendation of putting in a temporary sand box

Bearded Dinger

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thats kinda the deal I dont know he is comming from a breeder that has had him solely on sand so I dont want to completely throw him off by putting him on straight carpet. But I also know the dangers and dont want all sand

Latest posts