• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crazy Baby Beardie

Krobat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I kinda think the issue could be with the coil uvb being used in your setup. . They are not very good and will need the tube uvb Reptisun 10.0 so that he is getting enough. I had the same issue in the beginning with my gal and uvb makes all the difference with not only eating but their behavior as well
Ok good deal, I figured the kit they gave would be a decent bulb...I’ll look into the reptisun 10.0 tube light then. I hadn’t seen where that would affect behavior...definitely makes sense tho

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If You can put a couple jagged (not sharp) rocks or stones in his tank(or a brick) he needs as many different textures in his tank as he can can get for rubbing against, also you can offer a wash cloth , if you rubbit on your clean body that’ll help with the baby calming down aswell

Krobat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea ur bulbs might need to be looked at uvb really needs to be offered from a bar/tube light, please get rid of any coil lights they cause problems with babies eyes, you bought the bearded dragon kit I presume? With another big green bowl? And some kibble n bits? The bulbs they offer are trash, im happy to hear your kids respect the new guy thats ti be commended of you, if they being as good as you say , you might allow them to go in and look as long as thats okay with what you want , when i got my baby i put her tank in my living room for the first 2 months of her life to get her used to all the noises of my house (mainly loud cooking) if you got the baby from petco they should already be desensitized to kids banging on the glass, idk if ive already mentioned to you about backgrounds? But they really do make a difference, u can put up some white construction paper for now, the main stressers right now are gonna relocation (anywhere from 1 week to a month to become comfortable) ur lights (it’ll only take a day for u to see a difference, if ur bulbs are bad that is) or an in/outside tank stresser.
Yah I got the uncle bills beginner set up...came with a larger bowl that fits in that base....seemed to big and unnecessary of a bowl for a baby so I’m just using the base for water and he gets in it from time to time which seems good. The dry food that came with it looked like a chokin hazard for a baby so I haven’t fed him that. I will definitely get a tube uvb bulb if you guys think that will help. I will do a background as well.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok good deal, I figured the kit they gave would be a decent bulb...I’ll look into the reptisun 10.0 tube light then. I hadn’t seen where that would affect behavior...definitely makes sense tho
I have personally experience with the negative affects of the coil bulbs, (my baby started closing one eye and not seeking the heat/uvb) im not just trying to make u buy something you dont need, he needs uvb all through out the tank. It’s always good to have back up bulbs (i know they’re expensive) its not the lizard that costs you $ its all of his bells and wistles that are gonna break the bank

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Id keep the dry food for an emergency situation,(if and when u offer the pellets put a lil water on them) we basically have the same kit ,may i ask what kind of climate you live in?(do u get snow), I ended up changing out the double bulb hood for a singlular one, can i see one last picture of your screen mesh top? If you have the same screen as i do , unfortunately it blocks out uvb, so that needs to be delt with (the manufacturer makes products not homes for bearded dragons) i got a grid fence wire thats 1/2 of inch gaps ,to adhere it i just duck taped it from the top(it doesn’t look cheap or bad). your helping him get his uvb and your temps will probably go up, do you have a temp gun or a probe on the end of wire? Stick ons can only messure ambient air temperature, we need the ground temperature underneath the light.

Krobat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Id keep the dry food for an emergency situation,(if and when u offer the pellets put a lil water on them) we basically have the same kit ,may i ask what kind of climate you live in?(do u get snow), I ended up changing out the double bulb hood for a singlular one, can i see one last picture of your screen mesh top? If you have the same screen as i do , unfortunately it blocks out uvb, so that needs to be delt with (the manufacturer makes products not homes for bearded dragons) i got a grid fence wire thats 1/2 of inch gaps ,to adhere it i just duck taped it from the top(it doesn’t look cheap or bad). your helping him get his uvb and your temps will probably go up, do you have a temp gun or a probe on the end of wire? Stick ons can only messure ambient air temperature, we need the ground temperature underneath the light.
Ok attaching the picture of the hood....screen seems like a tight mesh. I just have stick on thermometers...stays very warm in the room though. Temp usually says 105...and he does bask on his log most of the day. Yes it snows here...my digital thermometer says 0 percent humidity at the moment, it’s very dry in the winter...and I have a dehumidifier In the room for the summer if needed. Could you post a link of a uvb bulb hood and brand of bulb you’d recommend?

Krobat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok attaching the picture of the hood....screen seems like a tight mesh. I just have stick on thermometers...stays very warm in the room though. Temp usually says 105...and he does bask on his log most of the day. Yes it snows here...my digital thermometer says 0 percent humidity at the moment, it’s very dry in the winter...and I have a dehumidifier In the room for the summer if needed. Could you post a link of a uvb bulb hood and brand of bulb you’d recommend?
443BC62E-C739-4E82-8F09-0AC084658071.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
This is what i use , you’ll need to messure your tank to see what length bulb and light fixture, I bought all my stuff on chewy, yea ur screen looks very fine(id personally change it but ill let you make that call.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you still wanna use the double hood instead of getting a singular bulb hood , you can order a CHE ceramic heat emitter and (use it at night to keep the tank nice and warm) , since it will be awkward having this big hood with only his basking in it. This is how my lights are and my screen, you only need to replace the screen the lights are on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 11

Krobat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just bought a 22” light fixture with 10.0 reptisun bulb, so we’ll see how that works. I was planning on this being a starter tank. I already did buy a single heat lamp but it is larger and it was touching the edge of the lid and actually started to melt the plastic...so I put that aside until I get a bigger tank. But when I get a bigger tank my light set up basically be the same as yours. I also have one if those little heat stick on pads that came with the kit, I put that on the bottom under the carpet so he’s got a warm spot if he needs it...but I keep that room really hot so just the ambient air temp is around 80 in there at night.
I see these picture and videos of people of people holding their babies and I’m like wtf. Mine is so cracked out....hopefully it’s the coil bulb and it maybe the reflection issues.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, your beardie will most likely continue to be stressed until his UVA/UVB and temps are correct - he will potentially become unwell too. How are you currently measuring the temps in the tank? You will need a digital probe thermometer resting directly on his basking spot under his UVA heat bulb and then another in the cool end. If you are using a coil UVB, this has gotta go ASAP and be replaced with a better UVB tube light. There are other members who will hopefully chime in who know more about lighting (I’m not 100% sure when it comes to lighting on top of / outside of a tank as mine are all inside). He will more than likely benefit from a backdrop and more hides too.
I know it’s disheartening when you’ve been given I correct advice and spent lots of money to know you’ve kinda gotta reassess it all and spend more money (been there myself!) but you won’t have a happy and thriving beardie until these things are rectified - x

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So sorry, I didn’t see the second page of replies until I posted mine so forgive me if I gave info which had already been discussed! x

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, your beardie will most likely continue to be stressed until his UVA/UVB and temps are correct - he will potentially become unwell too. How are you currently measuring the temps in the tank? You will need a digital probe thermometer resting directly on his basking spot under his UVA heat bulb and then another in the cool end. If you are using a coil UVB, this has gotta go ASAP and be replaced with a better UVB tube light. There are other members who will hopefully chime in who know more about lighting (I’m not 100% sure when it comes to lighting on top of / outside of a tank as mine are all inside). He will more than likely benefit from a backdrop and more hides too.
I know it’s disheartening when you’ve been given I correct advice and spent lots of money to know you’ve kinda gotta reassess it all and spend more money (been there myself!) but you won’t have a happy and thriving beardie until these things are rectified - x
Also to add in regards to the heat mat / heated rocks etc, many advise against those. Beardies can burn their bellies as they won’t realise and move if it gets too hot. If you’re getting the correct temps in the day and ambient temps in the night it’s not necessary. Even if it’s too cold, it’s not recommended - in the night time if it really was too cold you should use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE)

Warreen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey thanks for the response. His name is Krobat...for some reason that’s what my son named him. I have not tried hand feeding him yet...actually I’ve been unsuccessful at getting him to eat greens at all...so far I’ve tried mustard greens, lettuce, turnip greens, kiwi, and strawberry. I haven’t seen him try to eat anything that’s not moving. He loves crickets and he eats Dubia roaches if that’s all I put in there...basically since he didn’t eat the first few weeks I had him so I was thrilled that he started downing crickets so I’ve been giving him all The bugs he can eat...probably about 10 to 15 crickets 3 to 4 times a day. I guess I need to start weening him to other things now that he’s getting some size and appearing healthy. I’ll try feeding with tweezers...was there any fruit or greens that yours particularly liked? Also he doesn’t really glass surf unless he’s trying to scurry away...but when I slowly put my hand in sometimes he runs at full speed away from me into the glass...kindve like a bird flying into a window, that’s why I’m afraid he might hurt himself.
My beardie loves dandelion greens and cantaloupe because it sweet. I got her when she was three months and she is know 7 months older. She's very pickey and always crazy.