• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

crazy babies

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
is it normal for a 3 month old to be so hyper? they never seem to want to stay on us or in our hands, and one of them has decided to open their mouth at me whenever i stick my hand near him. do they grow out of this? how often should we hold them? they don't seem to tolerate being on us for more than 15 minutes or so. is there a way to calm them down?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Babies do tend to be quite hyper. I say yes, that they calm down as they get older.

It takes patience to 'calm them down'. The more you hold them, the more comfortable they'll be with you.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
After that 1 year mark, you'll see some major slowing down. They get very lazy.

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
alright, i'll just keep working on it then. it's just so tough trying to keep him with me when all he wants to do is run away!

also, if you remember from an earlier post of mine, i was worried about one of my babies. well since we got the proper lighting he's like a totally different guy! they both are actually. they eat ALOT more now lol.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Babies are like that. Semi was my only dragon where I could hold him all day and he would stay. Semi was my transit beardie, he went to the office with me daily and loved it until he was about 6 months old. Can't say that about my other two though. Not all adults get lazy. Magick is my only lazy dragon. Jada likes rearranging her tank herself and Semi spends half the day running around.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crystal9534 said:
also, if you remember from an earlier post of mine, i was worried about one of my babies. well since we got the proper lighting he's like a totally different guy! they both are actually. they eat ALOT more now lol.

Awesome, it is amazing how much different they are with proper lighting.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They do definitely calm down with age . . . . and regular handling. At least in my case its true.

Pogie used to let me hold her inside the viv for about 10 seconds flat before she would try to scamper away, now after 3 months (her being 5 months when I got her and now just over 8 months) of regular handling, and attention she lets me put her leash on and she'll sit with me for about half an hour before getting the exploring feeling, but even then If i pick her up and put her on my lap again, shell sit a few moments and go explore as far as her leash will let her.

Patience and time is the key here.....

Latest posts