• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Craigslist Beardie

Tasalyn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! So I have a beardie and he is 7 months old and he is so very healthy, poops almost every day and he eats everything I give him. So I decided to add to my little reptile family and get another beardie. I personally prefer to adopt all of my animals rather than buy, so I went on Craigslist to look for a beardie. I’ve been looking for a couple of weeks and finally one popped up (I live in a semi-small town and I feel like most people here aren’t into reptiles).
There were no pictures of anything, so I had no idea what I was getting into, but I’m impulsive so I went and picked up the beardie. I got there and walked into a dark, middle school aged kids room and it was freezing, even for me. This poor beardies tank was sitting in front of a fan with no uvb or heat and I about hit the lady in the face.
The tank was in terrible condition, sand with dead crickets everywhere, old shed, feces, just everything that would tell you this poor baby was not taken care of. And he is huge, and very skinny. They gave me a 40 gallon tank, and I had to save up for a bigger one. He was cold to the touch and so stiff and it shattered my heart. So I took him home and rushed to the store to get the correct UVB and heat and reptile carpet and everything that he needs. He ate from my hand as soon as I offered him food which really took me by surprise because on the car ride home, his beard was very black. He ended up eating a crap ton of super worms (I know they are fatty, but he was so skinny and starved, I fed him whatever he would eat) he ate kale too. He basked under the light forever and kept looking at it, it was like watching someone defrost.
He pooped and his urate was a solid little white ball. He is completely dehydrated.
Later after that, he was trying to jump out of his cage so I took him out and put him in my lap and he crawled right into my shoulder and did not move while I pet him for a while and when I tried to put him back in his cage for night time, he did not want to let go (not to mention his nails are so very long, I need to trim them when he gets more comfortable). But it warmed my heart to know that he is already so trusting with me. He seriously is so sweet, I’m so angry he wasn’t cared for properly.
So that’s a huge long story for my initial question.
Do you guys have any advice on nursing beardies back to health after someone didn’t properly take care of them? She said that he is 2 years old, and I know adult beardies are supposed to eat more greens, but since he is so malnourished, should he be eating more insects? He’s definitely going to be getting plenty of love and attention!!
83a1a0827a08342ebb1a836612c78664.jpg
fd02efbe3e56a855ef6a3f4354a560d0.jpg
0e4e27b49060fcec812aa5ead7ce9ff6.jpg

The pictures were taken throughout the day, before and after I gave him a basking spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
People suck! Bless this little beardie that was neglected but is a total sweetheart to you! My Dolly was abandoned in an apartment and brought to Petco by the landlord. I don't know her story, or how long she was left alone with no food. We took her and her tank and decor, the tank and decor didn't even make it into my house because it smelled sooooo bad, we just threw it all in the garbage and started fresh. I put her in a bath right away while my husband set up her new tank and she was the most relaxed sweetest thing I had ever seen. The name came instantly! She is the most forgiving animal I have ever met.

I recommend to just go slow with your guy. Don't feed him too many bugs right away. Digesting protein takes a lot of effort and may be taxing on the body. With Dolly, I used calcium with D3 on her bugs for the first 5 months we had her along with a multivitamin a few times a week. After that I alternated between calcium with D3 and calcium without. After a few weeks of him settling in, get a fecal done to make sure he doesn't have any parasites.

The most important is to be meticulous with hand washing/ sanitizing between reptiles. If he has parasites or any thing else, it can be passed to your other dragon. Don't share food tools, and don't put any uneaten bugs back in to the bug bin.

He really doesn't look too bad off. Just a little skinny but you can slowly get him back up to a good weight.

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He looks kind of like my boy! Awesome job in rescuing him! He doesn't look that bad for being in such poor conditions. Let us know how he does!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good for you for taking him in and giving him the love and attention he deserves..

Latest posts