• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cover for by Beardie's tank?

Beardyluv

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there, I have a 55 gallon tank for my Beardie and she's only about five months old. But I just got home from work and she hopped from her highest point of her log and was sitting on top of the corner of the cage...yikes! Do you guys keep a cover on your tank? I don't want the log too low or she'll be too far away from the heat… What do you think?

image.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As mentioned, a secure enclosure is a necessity. As you have found out, these guys are accomplished escape artists & very proficient jumpers. They need to be securely contained.

BTW: That thermometer that you are using is not where your temps need to be measured from. Basking temps need to be measured directly at the basking spot. There is quite a difference 3-4" off to the side. Those analog thermometers are notorious for their inaccuracy & when mounted to the glass, will give you more the temp of the glass, which is affected as much by the outside room environment, as the inside enclosure environment, giving inaccurate temp readings. A digital thermometer with a sensor/probe that can be placed/attached directly to the basking spot is what is needed.

What kind of substrate is that?

Beardyluv

Hatchling Dragon
As mentioned, a secure enclosure is a necessity. As you have found out, these guys are accomplished escape artists & very proficient jumpers. They need to be securely contained.

BTW: That thermometer that you are using is not where your temps need to be measured from. Basking temps need to be measured directly at the basking spot. There is quite a difference 3-4" off to the side. Those analog thermometers are notorious for their inaccuracy & when mounted to the glass, will give you more the temp of the glass, which is affected as much by the outside room environment, as the inside enclosure environment, giving inaccurate temp readings. A digital thermometer with a sensor/probe that can be placed/attached directly to the basking spot is what is needed.

What kind of substrate is that?
Well, since I posted, the cover is taken care of.....pulled the Honey Do List and the boy is making the cover as we speak. As far as the substrate, I am moving this to carpet, should have via FedEx soon. Tell me more about the temp gage though please. Now you got me worried......

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those thermometers are just not suited to this application. What is need is a Digital Thermometer with a sensor/probe similar to this ...

Therm001.jpg

With the wired sensor mounted directly to the basking spot at the closest point to the heat bulb, which should be the hottest accessible point in the enclosure & should be in the vicinity of 110F.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
As Germ says. Those dial thermometers as well as the strip type, they are honestly good for nothing. Can be up to 10c wrong. And that really could be the difference between life and death of your reptile.
As suggested, get a digital probe one. Even better, a dual probe one, so you can monitor the basking spot and cool end of the Viv/cage.
And also as Germ said. Attach the probe on to the basking spot directly where the beam is strongest. And you want around 40c/43c (sorry, UK measurements here :-P).
I'm guessing you have a dimming thermostat?. Off so, where do you have your probe?.
I know this is a subject I've had many agree with me, and many flame me. And I know everyone's ones technique is different to maintain the basking temps with a stat. But I have always had the stat probe placed in the cool side. About 5 or 6 inches from the wall. And the stat I set to 26c and all is good. And I've done it this way for many many years.
So I use my stat to protect my Viv so my Dragon always has a cool side to retreat to. Same in my Rankins Viv.
But as I said, other have different techniques. I know mine has always worked for me and my reps through the years.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts