• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Couple Questions

skip7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Got a couple questions

1. What does it mean when the poop reeks? He is eating woodies and powdering them with a multi calcium,d3 etc type powder, he will eat some cucumbers and kale but not much.
  2. Is it normal for him to keep closing one eye all the time? as seen in the below photo
  3. do really dark markings under his body mean anything as through the day these marking come and go. (his temps hot side is 34c with the log been 38-40c cold side 26-29c) the photo below is sort of half dark he goes.
2016-04-04 14.32.25.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Smelly poop could be a sign of parasites. When he closes his eye is it for a few minutes? Does he keep it closed all day? Is there anything coming out of the eye? What kind of UVB light are you using?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dragon poop does smell but I agree with Patsy really bad smelling can signs of parasites, having it checked with a reptile vet is always a good idea. I wouldn't worry too much that he isn't eating greens as much as right now protein is more important for growing. Have you checked out the links below our comments? it has 2 really good links for food items that most of us use. Cuc's can make their poop pretty runny, and Kale is good as long as it's not an everyday or it's mixed with another green like collard, mustard, dandilion...
Can you show a picture of your entire set up? There are several reasons that he could be closing his eye...is the lighting coming from on top or is it on the side? Is there any discharge? how does it look when he's not in his enclosure? How far away from the lighting is the basking spot? does he avoid being there?
The markings on the belly look normal to me

skip7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is his new setup moved him out of his 20gal tank to a much bigger one. (yeah need to get a bigger reptile mat)

2016-04-05 15.25.32.jpg

He spends most of his time where he is in the pic with 20 mins here and there on his log thats at 40c at the hottest point going by the IR temp gun.

The uvb globe looks like one them of long type energy saver things. the basking globe is a 100watt exo-terra.

Lights go on at 7am and off at 7pm even though he is normally in his hide asleep before then.

his eye he closes it for like 20 seconds at a time nothing seems to be coming out I can't tell you what its like out of his home as we are still only trying to holding him in his tank and just patting him atm as he is very flighty :(

I'm not really familiar with greens what greens are collard, mustard as at the supermarket there is nothing with them labels the lady there told us that kale is a collard, but as far as him eating veg some days he might eat one little bit others none at all.

we feed him twice a day in the morning he will eat about 6-8 woodies (roaches) powdered with the stuff in the photo below, then in the avo he will eat around 4-5 with out powder. He will not eat crickets no more won't even eat them when offered by hand once we gave him a woodie that was it.

2016-04-05 15.26.50.jpg

I'll call the vet tomorrow about his poop been really smelly.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Word of advise the coil UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye damage, You should look into the tube style like the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB these will provide enough to go thru mesh and to the depths of your enclosure. I've included a link to give you info on what most of us use. http://www.petmountain.com/product/...eptisun-t5-ho-10-0-uvb-high-output-bulbs.html

When they are young they mostly eat proteins but offering greens is always a good idea
http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
serveimage
collard green
serveimage
kale
serveimage
Mustard greens

if you haven't already take a look at the links below several of our members posts as we came up with info for new comers and it covers general care and in there you will find supplement info. Having calcium powder with and without D3 is important and a good multi vit powder.
Hope this helps.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The bulb you are using is good for a temporary set up but you need to get something that is going to put out more UVB like a tube style bulb. Repti Sun 10.0 is the most popular along with Arcadia bulbs. Not sure what you can get where you are. If he is only closing his eye for little bits at a time throughout the day, it sounds like he's just being a dragon. Mine close one eye a lot, almost like they want to sleep but they want to make sure they aren't missing anything!

skip7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the info,

Will look into getting a Repti Sun 10.0 setup.

as for the veg still confused about what a collard is so is the supermarket staff. going by the pic you posted the only thing I could find that looks similar is spinach and silverbeet.

In good news this last 2 days he has been very friendly and willing to be handled :p

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Do you have something called Borekale? That's what our collard greens are.

Great that he's being friendly! Changing the light is going to be the best thing for him in the long run.

skip7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Seen the vet today, getting a faecal test done, the vet also gave us a list of veggies I can give him that I can source where I live.

The UV light no one has any local but there checking with suppliers to see if they can get it in if not I'll look to ebay.

Latest posts