• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Couple of questions

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
I dont yet have my bearded dragon but i'd like to know that when they mature, should they be neutered/spayed or thats definitely not necessary? and do they get an aggressive phase when they hit puberty or mating season that i should be aware of like iguanas? in my country, the sun is always out and heat can reach up to 50 Celsius[ 122 Fahrenheit?] so is it okay to let my bearded dragon bask in the sun with me when its atleast 30 or 40 Celsius[86 or 104 Fahrenheit?] for few minutes?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not necessary for any spay/neuter. (That's for dogs and cats.) ;) Suggest you read up on their ideal environment, food and other facts before you even look for one. They are not at all like iguanas.

reptyfae

Hatchling Dragon
I have done my research and everything that is required to own a beardie, but i wanted to know the opinion of bearded dragon Owners, thanks for the reply though

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF2.jpg

Bearded Dragons should not cohabit, please see the link or slideshow video on cohabitation below. So if a male & female is never kept together, there is no need to have them 'Fixed', unlike Cats or Dogs which are often allowed to run free or together. I am unsure if there is even such a commonly practiced procedure, I haven't run across it & qualified Herp vets can sometimes be difficult to find for even normal check ups & ailments

Although some BDs can be irritable, for instance during a shed, once they are used to you & their new surroundings, most are generally quite docile, which is what makes them such an increasingly popular addition to a home & or family.

Natural unfiltered sun is very good for them, so yes, you can periodically take your BD outside to absorb some real UVB. You just have to be very sure that your BD has a cooler, shaded area to retreat to, should it feel the need. If you get temps of 50C, it would be too hot in direct sunlight at those temps. What part of the world do you hail from that it is normally that hot?

I know that you have said that you have done ALL the research, but experience has proven that until we actually have a BD in our care, we don't realize how little we really know. Here are some links to some really good solid info that you can trust, unlike much that is out there on the net.

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

UVB Setup

Temp Guns

Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?

How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
hello and welcome! Bearded dragons are an excellent addition to the home and you are doing the right thing researching and joining here to make sure you give your beardy the very best start :)

Latest posts