• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Correct distance from basking bulb?

MotherOfRhubarb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I have been unlucky in finding an answer to this. I have a 100W basking bulb. I have a baby that is a few weeks old. Can anyone suggest to me the best distance their basking spot should be from the bulb itself?

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
It depends. The basking spot has to be 98-110 for babies. so just test put different distances until you get the correct temp

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You want a a tempature gradient have something for them to climb on to get closer to the bulb it they choose to lower spots will be a lower temperature higher up Will be hotter that's a gradient you wanna achieve. I keep my basking spot is a gradient of 95-120 with some spots steady at 105 spots at 110 etc . most keep their dragons spot not hot enough but some dragons don't like it to be that hot mine does a Buddy of mine doesn't let his go past 102 or beardie won't bask but mine will bask in 115 for hours and not even have to gape

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I have been unlucky in finding an answer to this. I have a 100W basking bulb. I have a baby that is a few weeks old. Can anyone suggest to me the best distance their basking spot should be from the bulb itself?
You need to use a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate basking temp-- place probe where he sits for 10 minutes get temp it should be 105-110 as they get older that temp will change

MotherOfRhubarb

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to use a digital probe thermometer to get a accurate basking temp-- place probe where he sits for 10 minutes get temp it should be 105-110 as they get older that temp will change
0C335391-28B1-47B6-B0E8-9DC00EA426F5.png
Hi! Thanks for your response. I am looking up probe thermometers, we have tried the surface temp ones and they aren’t giving us an accurate reading. I’m going to attach a picture of one that is best rated but still not sure, if you could give me your opinion!

MotherOfRhubarb

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want a a tempature gradient have something for them to climb on to get closer to the bulb it they choose to lower spots will be a lower temperature higher up Will be hotter that's a gradient you wanna achieve. I keep my basking spot is a gradient of 95-120 with some spots steady at 105 spots at 110 etc . most keep their dragons spot not hot enough but some dragons don't like it to be that hot mine does a Buddy of mine doesn't let his go past 102 or beardie won't bask but mine will bask in 115 for hours and not even have to gape
Thanks for answering! We actually have a tree like piece that he spends his time on that is a gradient so that’s so good to hear that I have something right! We are still figuring out what he likes best but have seen no gaping yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! Thanks for your response. I am looking up probe thermometers, we have tried the surface temp ones and they aren’t giving us an accurate reading. I’m going to attach a picture of one that is best rated but still not sure, if you could give me your opinion!
You can get a zoo med digital probe thermometer from Petco or petsmart

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your help! Just ordered one.
Be carful leaving the probe in there, i came back to look at my temps and my beardie was trying to bite the probe, (probably cause its shiny) i have a 24”inch high enclosure and the heating element sits right on top of the screen her basking spot is 11-15 inches in different spots and i get a temp range of 77.8–98.9