• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constipated

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Couple months ago I posted about Mango having an infection and brumating. When she first started to brumate I took her to the vet ,who analyzed her poop and found the infection. I gave her the meds and she seemed to get better. Then 2 months ago she dug her out a spot and didn't come out until a week or so ago. I'm worried, because she hasn't eaten hardly anything. I think she ate four small crickets and a few veggies since. She hasn't pooped since the day I took her to the vet. She used to have a big appetite and posed almost every day. Right now she is on her.favorite spot on my shoulder and acts normal, but she won't eat or poop. I gave her a nice bath yesterday hoping the warm water might help. Everything is as perfect as I can make it for her. Lighting, enclosure everything a dragon could want, she has. I'm not a young kid, I'm 71yrs old and love my dragon. Any suggestions? I'm taking her back to vet if she hasn't improved by next week. Any help will be appreciated!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Couple months ago I posted about Mango having an infection and brumating. When she first started to brumate I took her to the vet ,who analyzed her poop and found the infection. I gave her the meds and she seemed to get better. Then 2 months ago she dug her out a spot and didn't come out until a week or so ago. I'm worried, because she hasn't eaten hardly anything. I think she ate four small crickets and a few veggies since. She hasn't pooped since the day I took her to the vet. She used to have a big appetite and posed almost every day. Right now she is on her.favorite spot on my shoulder and acts normal, but she won't eat or poop. I gave her a nice bath yesterday hoping the warm water might help. Everything is as perfect as I can make it for her. Lighting, enclosure everything a dragon could want, she has. I'm not a young kid, I'm 71yrs old and love my dragon. Any suggestions? I'm taking her back to vet if she hasn't improved by next week. Any help will be appreciated!
So we went over your UVB and surface basking temps? If shes not eating anything shes not going to poop-- dragons go thru a slow down period in the winter w/ appetite because most of them are brumating- did they do any blood work to determine the infection? Usually poop is tested for parasites- what meds were given? If you take her back to the vet NO ENEMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough - if you want her to go poop feed her some natural laxatives like baby food pumpkin unsweetened applesauce -- do you have the results of any test that were taken from last vet visit- if you do you can post them on here and we can have Tracie the vet tech look at them -- make sure your UVB bulb is not expired ---

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
So we went over your UVB and surface basking temps? If shes not eating anything shes not going to poop-- dragons go thru a slow down period in the winter w/ appetite because most of them are brumating- did they do any blood work to determine the infection? Usually poop is tested for parasites- what meds were given? If you take her back to the vet NO ENEMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough - if you want her to go poop feed her some natural laxatives like baby food pumpkin unsweetened applesauce -- do you have the results of any test that were taken from last vet visit- if you do you can post them on here and we can have Tracie the vet tech look at them -- make sure your UVB bulb is not expired ---
Thanks for your reply. I talked with Dragon Fourum back several months ago when I took her to the vet. Nice exotic pet vet, big,nice and reasonable. When I took her she was just starting to try to brumate. She hadn't pooped I about a week then and she was always regular, but as soon as we pulled in the the vets, she let loose a big one right on me. I saved it for the vet. She said Mango had a omegbic(sp) infection. Got the meds and after about 10 days took her back. Cured. I'm sure she is just brumating. I live at the beach where it usually doesn't get cold for long, but it's been a very cold one and we had a few days of great high 70s weather and she came out. Her and I spend a lot of time together. Today she ate a blueberry and some turnip greens, but very little. After I put her back ,she bask for an hour and then back to her hole. I was just concerned ,because she was always out and lively with me and even after not eating but just a very little, like in the past 3 months she has ate about what she would eat at one meal before. It amazes me that after all this time, she still feels like she weighs the same. She was always a little plump, but healthy and happy. If she would poop and get rid of whatever she ate 3 months ago, I would feel better.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your reply. I talked with Dragon Fourum back several months ago when I took her to the vet. Nice exotic pet vet, big,nice and reasonable. When I took her she was just starting to try to brumate. She hadn't pooped I about a week then and she was always regular, but as soon as we pulled in the the vets, she let loose a big one right on me. I saved it for the vet. She said Mango had a omegbic(sp) infection. Got the meds and after about 10 days took her back. Cured. I'm sure she is just brumating. I live at the beach where it usually doesn't get cold for long, but it's been a very cold one and we had a few days of great high 70s weather and she came out. Her and I spend a lot of time together. Today she ate a blueberry and some turnip greens, but very little. After I put her back ,she bask for an hour and then back to her hole. I was just concerned ,because she was always out and lively with me and even after not eating but just a very little, like in the past 3 months she has ate about what she would eat at one meal before. It amazes me that after all this time, she still feels like she weighs the same. She was always a little plump, but healthy and happy. If she would poop and get rid of whatever she ate 3 months ago, I would feel better.
Ok so everything sounds normal -- shes eating and basking which is good --

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so everything sounds normal -- shes eating and basking which is good --
I would like a definitive answer to this question. Should I leave her alone to stay in her hiding place or take her out and treat her like I normally did, before she brumated. She has never been a really active dragon. She spent most of her time basking or cuddling with me as I played video games or watched the news. Even when I took her outside she rarely tried to run or explore. Picture of one favorite spots, usually under my robe.with head underneath my goatee. When i take her out ,she acts perfectly normal. Very calm and sweet. My grandson also takes her out once a day and they sit and build Legos. Just worried she needs something ,but cant tell me. Im probably just a very old fart obsessing to much!
20240201_184137.jpg

Attachments

• 20230818_133841.jpg
    20230818_133841.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would like a definitive answer to this question. Should I leave her alone to stay in her hiding place or take her out and treat her like I normally did, before she brumated. She has never been a really active dragon. She spent most of her time basking or cuddling with me as I played video games or watched the news. Even when I took her outside she rarely tried to run or explore. Picture of one favorite spots, usually under my robe.with head underneath my goatee. When i take her out ,she acts perfectly normal. Very calm and sweet. My grandson also takes her out once a day and they sit and build Legos. Just worried she needs something ,but cant tell me. Im probably just a very old fart obsessing to much!View attachment 35311
Follow her lead---- let her hide in her cave if she wants--- it is a slow period for them now --- some have come out of brumation and have the zoomies which is driving a lot of the owners crazy--- she may be semi brumating which is she will hide for a few days or a week or so and not go completely into full brumation and come out to eat a little and bask only to return to her hide -- offer her water and watch her appetite to see how much shes eating ---

Latest posts