• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constant Impaction

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I scooped my sand out with cups as much as I could and then when I couldn't scoop anymore I took a vacuum to it and got the rest up. Continue what you are doing with the baths and the the oils and prunes. Oh, PUMPKIN is real good too either fresh or canned. If you get canned make sure it's pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling since the filing has spices added to it.

What kind of sand did you use? If you used calci sand I would take him to the vet and see if there is anything they can do sometimes they can give an enema. The issue with calci sand (besides my spell check keeps wanting to change it to calico) is calcium is binding. Think about what happens when your dusting your feeders and the calcium gets wet, it sticks and when you go to wash that cup or bowl out you have to scrub a little to get it out. Another analogy is clumping cat litter when it gets wet and it becomes a big hard lump. Now imagine this in your intestines.

Chipthe

Hatchling Dragon
I scooped my sand out with cups as much as I could and then when I couldn't scoop anymore I took a vacuum to it and got the rest up. Continue what you are doing with the baths and the the oils and prunes. Oh, PUMPKIN is real good too either fresh or canned. If you get canned make sure it's pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling since the filing has spices added to it.

What kind of sand did you use? If you used calci sand I would take him to the vet and see if there is anything they can do sometimes they can give an enema. The issue with calci sand (besides my spell check keeps wanting to change it to calico) is calcium is binding. Think about what happens when your dusting your feeders and the calcium gets wet, it sticks and when you go to wash that cup or bowl out you have to scrub a little to get it out. Another analogy is clumping cat litter when it gets wet and it becomes a big hard lump. Now imagine this in your intestines.

I truly figured it out. What i thought was regular sand was calcium sand. I figured this out when sifting his sand 2 days ago, and i noticed something kinda odd. It smelled like emergen c vitamin c drink mix. it was calcium sand.

I have now removed it and replaced it with disinfected cypress mulch. I will not be feeding him in this enclosure anymore, because im worried about cypress mulch being ingested. The breeder who raised him raised him and all her other beardies on the mulch, and it has not caused any problems in any of her many dragons so I have decided to use it. He took one lick of it, decided it was disgusting and ran up onto his log. I live in colorado where it is very dry so his humidity stays at around 25 percent with the mulch. After misting the mulch it goes up to about 35 percent.

Besides, it looks really good and he loves to run around in it.

He now has a 10.0 uvb HO tube bulb. the hood was quite expensive but it will be worth it for him to not have MBD.

Gu3eAVB.jpg

If he doesnt poop in 2 more days i will be taking him to the vet.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well that does explain things if it was Calci sand.... I'm glad to see that it is gone. My question to you is since he was eating the sand on purpose why risk putting any substrate down?? I get wanting nice aesthetics to look at, but he's already shown that he eats stuff. I hope that he really didn't like the taste of it but keep an eye on him. Might be kinda hard to clean his poop out.

Chipthe

Hatchling Dragon
Well that does explain things if it was Calci sand.... I'm glad to see that it is gone. My question to you is since he was eating the sand on purpose why risk putting any substrate down?? I get wanting nice aesthetics to look at, but he's already shown that he eats stuff. I hope that he really didn't like the taste of it but keep an eye on him. Might be kinda hard to clean his poop out.
To me this is temporary. He will have a new vivarium within the next few months with a tile/slate floor. If it causes any problems, I will def be removing it but until then i'll be keeping a close eye on him.

Chipthe

Hatchling Dragon
To me this is temporary. He will have a new vivarium within the next few months with a tile/slate floor. If it causes any problems, I will def be removing it but until then i'll be keeping a close eye on him.
it happened. I came home from school, checked on his tank and bam. his dish was full of a huge runny poo. a definite sign of the calcium sand being ingested. He was sitting on his perch satisfied with the gigantic mess he made. yay.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep soaking him and getting him exercise and good food, hopefully he is not eating the substrate. But he did poop Friday correct? I know some people say theirs don't poop very often... Mine goes every morning after her breakfast I put her in the sink and within mins she goes, then it's bath time.
Mine doesn't like strawberries at the moment..She actually doesn't like many fruit/veggies but her greens those she picks out to eat.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How'd you find out about not liking strawberries? Luci let me know my pooping on them in his bowl LOL! Dexter used to LOVE them until she bit me while I was hand feeding them to her, now she doesn't eat any fruits or veggies.

Just give him time and he will get on his own cycle. Hdrydr31 is right, they all have their own schedules and as they get older that schedule could change.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just checking to see how your Dragon is doing?

Faysle

Bearded Dragon Egg
If the Beardie was actively eating the calci sand I would suggest there is something missing in the diet that your lil fella was hoping to find in the mineral content of the substrate.

Chipthe

Hatchling Dragon
A quick update: He is pooping regularly now, and his stool isnt loose anymore. I have taken him off the mulch and now has paper towels instead. I am giving him vitamins with his vegetables twice a week and calcium once every two weeks (he has been eating all that calcium sand and his digestive system is still a little weak.) He's happy and mobile now :) thanks guys!

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Once you have just carpet it's a breeze to clean . I think my dragon Hef loves his UNnatural habitat. And it's safe and cozy . How about a few crickets it just sounded like alot of worms. I grate cucumber over his salads it seems like he eats more bites and apple too. I use a cheese grater. And your doing good as an owner by asking for help. GET THE SAND OUT ASAP.

Latest posts