• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constant gaping

meesh18

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my 2.5 month old female bearded dragon for 3 weeks. I've noticed her gaping a lot more than usual. Not only does she gape in the hot end but also the cool end, when she's eating (she'll do it in between eating crickets, as well as when she is out of her tank. When she is gaping it's only for a second, it looks like enough to catch her breath and then she closes her mouth again. She doesn't appear to be stressed when doing this (no black beard, no puffing out, etc.) I've contacted the breeder and he said it could be 1. She's taking longer to cool off and 2. She could be "quirky". I'm worried it's a respiratory issue. I would appreciate any feed back.

Her tank is 3 feet long and 1 foot wide.
Basking temp: 105 degrees
Cool temp: 82 degrees
Her resting heart beat is 32 beats per minute (if that helps?)

She's only held about 15 minutes a day. She's given a bath every other day as well as daily mistings. She's eating her crickets well. (Although she still won't touch her veggies.)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This sounds all fairly normal to me, some young BDs gape a lot. I would bump up your Basking temp up 5F or so, though.

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've had my 2.5 month old female bearded dragon for 3 weeks. I've noticed her gaping a lot more than usual. Not only does she gape in the hot end but also the cool end, when she's eating (she'll do it in between eating crickets, as well as when she is out of her tank. When she is gaping it's only for a second, it looks like enough to catch her breath and then she closes her mouth again. She doesn't appear to be stressed when doing this (no black beard, no puffing out, etc.) I've contacted the breeder and he said it could be 1. She's taking longer to cool off and 2. She could be "quirky". I'm worried it's a respiratory issue. I would appreciate any feed back.

Her tank is 3 feet long and 1 foot wide.
Basking temp: 105 degrees
Cool temp: 82 degrees
Her resting heart beat is 32 beats per minute (if that helps?)

She's only held about 15 minutes a day. She's given a bath every other day as well as daily mistings. She's eating her crickets well. (Although she still won't touch her veggies.)
Yeah, your good.
uploadfromtaptalk1373319766494.jpg

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
If your worried about a respiratory problem, then stop the daily misting. This can increase the risk. Apart from that mate, all sounds fine :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta