• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused again. Brumation?

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
I asked last week when she went under her hidie and stayed from Saturday til late Monday. She came out and acted like the normal fun dragon she usually is. Then two days ago she has gone back and hid. I can get her out, but am confused if I should. Do I leave her to come out when she is ready or pull her out?? I really gave her a good looking over last week and could see no problems, even her appetite was good, but now I'm lonely. What do I do?

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
What is the lighting/tank setup?
I have a basking lamp set up over her sitting spot and i have lights running the length of her enclosure with the correct uvb and uva and whatever the other is. I'm 71yrs old and have to many letters coming at me. I really love my "mango" and don't want anything to happen to her. I am thinking I may need to warm it up some. Her basking rock is a dark Simi reddish color with some dark spots. The dark spots,maybe half inch by 3 inch, are about 105 but lighter spots are 95-97. Her back ,when she's there is an even 100. I just took her cover off and she seems alert and fine ,so I left her. It's been 3 days ,almost 4 since she ate anything. At first I thought she was eating her greens at night, but I'm changing them now and she hasn't touched them. Should I just pull her out and treat her as normal or just not worry about it???

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a basking lamp set up over her sitting spot and i have lights running the length of her enclosure with the correct uvb and uva and whatever the other is. I'm 71yrs old and have to many letters coming at me. I really love my "mango" and don't want anything to happen to her. I am thinking I may need to warm it up some. Her basking rock is a dark Simi reddish color with some dark spots. The dark spots,maybe half inch by 3 inch, are about 105 but lighter spots are 95-97. Her back ,when she's there is an even 100. I just took her cover off and she seems alert and fine ,so I left her. It's been 3 days ,almost 4 since she ate anything. At first I thought she was eating her greens at night, but I'm changing them now and she hasn't touched them. Should I just pull her out and treat her as normal or just not worry about it???
Dragons do not eat at night they should not be fed less than 2-3 hrs before lights out- surface basking temps should be 95-100 take w/ a digital probe thermometer- bulb should be a solid clear bright white basking bulb - no off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs - uvb should be a long tube fixture like a zoo med - Arcadia pro T 5 or a sunblaster nano tech - placement and distance will be determined bybthe screen on thd tank-- dragons don't need to be covered at night - night time temps should be 65-75 ambient

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Are you running the lights on/off with a 12/12 or what is the split? Their clock is run off of daylight hours, not actual time of year.

Typically you'd want a 14/10 during "summer", if the light hours start to get too low it will trigger brumation.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
Incorrect basking temps and temps in tank can cause brumation effects- dragons do go down for brumation about this time of year - fall / going into early winter -- some will brumate fully some will semi brumate - mine do this sleep for a couple of weeks come out eat bask etc then go back in and sleep again -- you do not want a dragon fully brumating longer than 3 months time --- we can go over your tank husbandry and make sure this is what she is doing --

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Dragons do not eat at night they should not be fed less than 2-3 hrs before lights out- surface basking temps should be 95-100 take w/ a digital probe thermometer- bulb should be a solid clear bright white basking bulb - no off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs - uvb should be a long tube fixture like a zoo med - Arcadia pro T 5 or a sunblaster nano tech - placement and distance will be determined bybthe screen on thd tank-- dragons don't need to be covered at night - night time temps should be 65-75 ambient
Ok. Please just assume alls well that way. How and what do I do with her? Leave her alone or get her out?
Incorrect basking temps and temps in tank can cause brumation effects- dragons do go down for brumation about this time of year - fall / going into early winter -- some will brumate fully some will semi brumate - mine do this sleep for a couple of weeks come out eat bask etc then go back in and sleep again -- you do not want a dragon fully brumating longer than 3 months time --- we can go over your tank husbandry and make sure this is what she is doing --
Thank you. First clear answer I've gotten.

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Howdy! I am beginning to worry. She still hasn't come out. I lifted her hide today and she is alive, but I don't know what to do. I'm afraid she's dying. Is she brumating? Should I take her to the vet? Should i leave her alone. I heard her digging earlier. What to do?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Howdy! I am beginning to worry. She still hasn't come out. I lifted her hide today and she is alive, but I don't know what to do. I'm afraid she's dying. Is she brumating? Should I take her to the vet? Should i leave her alone. I heard her digging earlier. What to do?
Has she ever laid eggs? Please post a pic of her please

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, she's about 10 months old. Today makes day 8. I'm taking her to vet tomorrow and have her checked for parasites and other things.
Take a fecal w/ you NO enemas - they are too risky and be can be deadly or cause serious issues

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, she's about 10 months old. Today makes day 8. I'm taking her to vet tomorrow and have her checked for parasites and other things.
Please go over your husbandry uvb brand and bulb placement surface basking temps how your getting them. - this will cause this kind of behavior

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Thought I'd give an update on Mango. When I got up this morning she was out and.my daughter was feeding her. I had.her stop, because I was taking her to the vet. She was a little sluggish until we got in the car. She really went a little nuts the whole drive and it was 25 miles to exotic vet. When we pulled in their lot, she pooped a big one in my lap (I still smell like a lizard turd). Anyway I saved it for doc and Mango was her old self after poo. Turns out she has a protozoan infection. A bad one. Doc gave me some medicine and.checked everything else, but said she was a very healthy dragon, except for the infection. Now I have to get her to open her mouth for.meds. thank yall for your advice. She will be fine , I hope.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thought I'd give an update on Mango. When I got up this morning she was out and.my daughter was feeding her. I had.her stop, because I was taking her to the vet. She was a little sluggish until we got in the car. She really went a little nuts the whole drive and it was 25 miles to exotic vet. When we pulled in their lot, she pooped a big one in my lap (I still smell like a lizard turd). Anyway I saved it for doc and Mango was her old self after poo. Turns out she has a protozoan infection. A bad one. Doc gave me some medicine and.checked everything else, but said she was a very healthy dragon, except for the infection. Now I have to get her to open her mouth for.meds. thank yall for your advice. She will be fine , I hope.
Ok can you post the test results? If you don't have have the vet email them to you - Tracie the vet tech on here can go over them - what med did they put her on?

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Ok can you post the test results? If you don't have have the vet email them to you - Tracie the vet tech on here can go over them - what med did they put her on?
I'm not sure of the name of the drug. The bottle says SMZ TMP 200MG/40MG/5,MG SUSP. I give it to her once a day for two days and every other day after that.
I took her to On Point Animal Hospital in Surfside ,S.C.. They were some very, very nice people and very busy. The doctor took a lot of time with her and me. She really eased my mind about her and the enclosure. She really seemed to know Bearded Dragons. I highly recommend them if you are in the area.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That medication is a sulfa based drug. Is your girl doing ok on the medication? Be sure you keep her well
hydrated since that medication tends to dehydrate them to some extent. Are you also using a probiotic too?

Tracie

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That medication is a sulfa based drug. Is your girl doing ok on the medication? Be sure you keep her well
hydrated since that medication tends to dehydrate them to some extent. Are you also using a probiotic too?

Tracie
No. Just the pink stuff. Hardest part is getting her mouth open. I have been putting a drop of water on her nose and waiting for her to lick it off and just shoving it in quickly. She is still hiding in corner and hasn't eaten anything in 4-5 days. I've got her in my hand as I type this. Her belly was very cold ,but she seems alert. She digs down to the bottom of her enclosure for her hiding. I'm going to give her til medicine is gone and if not her old self, I'm taking her back to vet.

Latest posts