• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused about UVB Light's.

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have been using an 18 inch UVB bulb for the last 5 months made by Reptisun. The package says 15 watts, T-8, 10.0 UVB, the #1 Reptile lamp world wide. It was the bulb my veterinarian suggested.
Last Friday, I went to the pet store and asked where the UVB bulbs were? The lady asked me what I had. I told her a Bearded Dragon and she grabs a bulb off the rack and hands it to me.
This one is made by ZILLA It says Desert Series 50, T8, 15 watt.
The first bulb says 10.0 UVB which is supposed to be ideal. On my new bulb's box, it gives a graph with a UVB/UV index. It tells you how much UVB the pet will get from being 4 inches away, 12 inches away, etc. why can't it just say how many UVB's the light produces like the Reptisun tells you straight out on the box. 10.0 UVB.
Now I don't know whether I should use this new bulb or not?
Can someone help me? Thank you.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When I was researching t8 bulbs 2 years ago, the Zilla got real bad reviews. Bad UV output I think. Reptiles were lathargic and not eating. Once people switched to the ReptiSun there was a total turn around in their behavior. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I generally go with Reptisun or Arcadia lights (lightyourreptiles.com). I am not saying you shouldn't use the Zilla bulb, I just haven't used that brand myself so I can't speak to it. As far as UV ratings you can look here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank's so much guys. That's what you call invaluable information. Wow. Am I happy I asked this question :).

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It will be useful to have as a backup in case one of your other bulbs goes out, but I would recommend a different brand too. As Josh said, either the Arcadia or Zoomed are a great choice, especially if you decide to go with the more powerful T5 bulbs. Either way you can purchase a reflector from lightyourreptiles.com that will fit inside the fixture youve got and increase your output by 2 to 3 times.

Latest posts