• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dutchy09

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I’m just joining this forum! I’m Pagan & my dragon’s name is Dutchy. He’s about 1 year & 2 months old.
Two weeks ago, I noticed that Dutchy had been staying under his hide a lot more than usual & seemed lazy in the tank. When I got him out he seemed very normal, but when he is back in it seemed the same. I didn’t worry too much, and wondered if maybe it was a sign of brumation?
Then, about a week ago my partner & I were out of town for 3 days, and our roommate had been watching our dragon. We just asked to make sure his lights were switched on and off, his food replenished, & to mist him every now and then.
When we got back, our roommate said that Dutchy hadn’t moved much from one spot in the tank & that he hadn’t eaten or pooped from what he could tell. Since being home, I’ve changed his heat lamp, made sure his basking spot was around 100°, added a hammock to the cool side of his tank, & made sure to give his food and poop special attention.
I bought him some crickets because I figured he would eat those & at this point I was just worried & wanted him to eat. He ate 12 crickets one night & 12 the next. He seemed very happy, he spent the next couple days under his basking spot gaping, and had used the bathroom. But it was a much smaller poop than normal.
This was all about one week ago, and since, I’ve given him his typical food with the addition of some extra freeze-dried crickets. He is still staying on the cool side of his tank, has not eaten much at all & has not had any bowel movements.
My other concern is if anyone thinks his beard looks swollen or unusual?

I am worried that he is getting sick. I will attach some pictures with dates before this began and now.
The first pic of him hanging on the leg of the table was Jan 23rd. Second of him gaping & basking was Feb 12th. The one of him laying on me is today, Feb. 17th. And the one of his face close up on the back of the couch is also today.

Attachments

• 7010AAA5-9F11-408C-88C4-3FBC9168B4F1.png
    7010AAA5-9F11-408C-88C4-3FBC9168B4F1.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 6EE390F1-C87E-47B6-AF26-512046513873.jpeg
    6EE390F1-C87E-47B6-AF26-512046513873.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 6B7986B7-6231-4269-B837-42033D1A16BB.jpeg
    6B7986B7-6231-4269-B837-42033D1A16BB.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 17

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, I just wanted to say that your beardie looks so lovely and truly happy. I wouldn't worry too much about him He's probably just started to brumate which in some form is hibernation for bearded dragons. Basically their metabolism slows down significantly and they just sleep from anytime between 2 weeks to 3 months. My youngster is also going through brumation and he's been hiding since december. Truly just monitor his weight and water intake, I'd also give him a bath every once in a while to keep him hydrated and promote any bowel movements if has any food left in him.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, I’m just joining this forum! I’m Pagan & my dragon’s name is Dutchy. He’s about 1 year & 2 months old.
Two weeks ago, I noticed that Dutchy had been staying under his hide a lot more than usual & seemed lazy in the tank. When I got him out he seemed very normal, but when he is back in it seemed the same. I didn’t worry too much, and wondered if maybe it was a sign of brumation?
Then, about a week ago my partner & I were out of town for 3 days, and our roommate had been watching our dragon. We just asked to make sure his lights were switched on and off, his food replenished, & to mist him every now and then.
When we got back, our roommate said that Dutchy hadn’t moved much from one spot in the tank & that he hadn’t eaten or pooped from what he could tell. Since being home, I’ve changed his heat lamp, made sure his basking spot was around 100°, added a hammock to the cool side of his tank, & made sure to give his food and poop special attention.
I bought him some crickets because I figured he would eat those & at this point I was just worried & wanted him to eat. He ate 12 crickets one night & 12 the next. He seemed very happy, he spent the next couple days under his basking spot gaping, and had used the bathroom. But it was a much smaller poop than normal.
This was all about one week ago, and since, I’ve given him his typical food with the addition of some extra freeze-dried crickets. He is still staying on the cool side of his tank, has not eaten much at all & has not had any bowel movements.
My other concern is if anyone thinks his beard looks swollen or unusual?

I am worried that he is getting sick. I will attach some pictures with dates before this began and now.
The first pic of him hanging on the leg of the table was Jan 23rd. Second of him gaping & basking was Feb 12th. The one of him laying on me is today, Feb. 17th. And the one of his face close up on the back of the couch is also today.
Your beardie looks very stressed, from the marks on his belly ( is how i can tell) These are called stress marks.

dutchy09

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I just wanted to say that your beardie looks so lovely and truly happy. I wouldn't worry too much about him He's probably just started to brumate which in some form is hibernation for bearded dragons. Basically their metabolism slows down significantly and they just sleep from anytime between 2 weeks to 3 months. My youngster is also going through brumation and he's been hiding since december. Truly just monitor his weight and water intake, I'd also give him a bath every once in a while to keep him hydrated and promote any bowel movements if has any food left in him.
Thank you so much for your input! If he is starting brumation, this is the first time & it has definitely stressed me! haha! It seems everything is normal aside from his eating & sleeping, but I will continue the baths & keeping a variety of foods available! :) Also, maybe you would know, is it okay to get them out & play with them while in brumation? Or does that like stress him and change the cycle?
Thanks again :)

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you so much for your input! If he is starting brumation, this is the first time & it has definitely stressed me! haha! It seems everything is normal aside from his eating & sleeping, but I will continue the baths & keeping a variety of foods available! :) Also, maybe you would know, is it okay to get them out & play with them while in brumation? Or does that like stress him and change the cycle?
Thanks again :)
Sadly taking him out can stress him and may screw with his brumation pattern. I know it sucks I haven't played with my Starbucks for so long and I miss him so much, hope he finishes his brumation soon. I'd just be careful with leaving food out, just because beardies poop less (obviously) when they are brumating and if food is left in him for a long period of time it can actually start rotting in them and cause health problems. I do feed my starbucks every once in a while because he is still young (he just turned one in January) so I make sure to give him extra baths so he poops it out. But truly the last time he wanted food was about 2 weeks ago and he hasn't lost any weight, so please don't think you will be starving him if you don't feed him every day.

dutchy09

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sadly taking him out can stress him and may screw with his brumation pattern. I know it sucks I haven't played with my Starbucks for so long and I miss him so much, hope he finishes his brumation soon. I'd just be careful with leaving food out, just because beardies poop less (obviously) when they are brumating and if food is left in him for a long period of time it can actually start rotting in them and cause health problems. I do feed my starbucks every once in a while because he is still young (he just turned one in January) so I make sure to give him extra baths so he poops it out. But truly the last time he wanted food was about 2 weeks ago and he hasn't lost any weight, so please don't think you will be starving him if you don't feed him every day.
I appreciate your responses so much! Thank you :) I will be sure to keep all of these things in mind!

Latest posts