• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerning behavior change after tank upgrade

JEllis35

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

We have a 10 month old bearded dragon (female) who has been thriving. She was in a 40 gallon as a baby/juvenile and we recently upgraded to a 4x2x2 enclosure since she is now about 17 inches long! The first days after the change she seemed OK (some settling in, but nothing alarming), but for the last 3-4 days we are noticing some behavior changes. We have tried so many things and nothing is making a difference so wanted to get some advice.

Her new enclosure is running a little cooler than her previous tank (basking spot at 95-100, ambient at 80, cool side in the high 70s) and UVB was around 5-6 in the basking spot (we have a sensor). I say "was" because we originally thought maybe the new UVB bulb was bothering her so we changed it out for a weaker one today, but that didn't make a difference.

The two things I can think of is: 1) she has contracted a parasite or 2) we have sent her into brumation with the slight enclosure temp change (not sure if this is possible, so apologies if its a stupid guess). Thoughts on other options or if one of these could be correct?

The changes:
- She is sleeping most of the day on her cool side (she used to bask all day and I honestly don't think I have ever seen her sleep during the day before this)
- She is less active when handled, though she is still alert
- Less interested in snacks and appetite has been inconsistent (ate today but not yesterday), where she had been a great eater before this started of both greens and crickets)
- Last pooped on Friday and it was more watery than usual, but at the time I chalked that up to new enclosure stress and some new veggies we had introduced
- She does not appear to be shedding or nearing a shed

We have a good reptile vet here and have also written, but am totally open to advice if anyone has observed something like this before:/

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

We have a 10 month old bearded dragon (female) who has been thriving. She was in a 40 gallon as a baby/juvenile and we recently upgraded to a 4x2x2 enclosure since she is now about 17 inches long! The first days after the change she seemed OK (some settling in, but nothing alarming), but for the last 3-4 days we are noticing some behavior changes. We have tried so many things and nothing is making a difference so wanted to get some advice.

Her new enclosure is running a little cooler than her previous tank (basking spot at 95-100, ambient at 80, cool side in the high 70s) and UVB was around 5-6 in the basking spot (we have a sensor). I say "was" because we originally thought maybe the new UVB bulb was bothering her so we changed it out for a weaker one today, but that didn't make a difference.

The two things I can think of is: 1) she has contracted a parasite or 2) we have sent her into brumation with the slight enclosure temp change (not sure if this is possible, so apologies if its a stupid guess). Thoughts on other options or if one of these could be correct?

The changes:
- She is sleeping most of the day on her cool side (she used to bask all day and I honestly don't think I have ever seen her sleep during the day before this)
- She is less active when handled, though she is still alert
- Less interested in snacks and appetite has been inconsistent (ate today but not yesterday), where she had been a great eater before this started of both greens and crickets)
- Last pooped on Friday and it was more watery than usual, but at the time I chalked that up to new enclosure stress and some new veggies we had introduced
- She does not appear to be shedding or nearing a shed

We have a good reptile vet here and have also written, but am totally open to advice if anyone has observed something like this before:/
Please post a pic of the tank and the lighting- what is the brand and bulb of the uvb? Are you using digital probe thermometers?

JEllis35

Bearded Dragon Egg
So we are currently using a ZooMed T5 10 UVB bulb (we had an Arcadia 12, but our meter was picking up UVB over 6+). It currently says the basking spot is getting 5.5-6 on the UVB reading depending on the exact spot (we have a SolarMeter). It runs 2/3 along the enclosure and is mounted inside with a reflector hood. We are using a 120W heat bulb right now and monitoring both through digital thermometers and through a surface temp device that you manually operate. Digital temp says 98 right now and surface temp says 99-100 depending on where on the basking spot. We also have an ambient thermometer in the tank, but those aren't always accurate - we use more to look for drastic changes than to catch exact temps. But it is reading 80 right now just as an FYI. Our surface checker is saying 77-78 on the cool side floor, where she is choosing to sleep right now.

Attachments

• IMG_7999.jpg
    IMG_7999.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8001.jpg
    IMG_8001.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So we are currently using a ZooMed T5 10 UVB bulb (we had an Arcadia 12, but our meter was picking up UVB over 6+). It currently says the basking spot is getting 5.5-6 on the UVB reading depending on the exact spot (we have a SolarMeter). It runs 2/3 along the enclosure and is mounted inside with a reflector hood. We are using a 120W heat bulb right now and monitoring both through digital thermometers and through a surface temp device that you manually operate. Digital temp says 98 right now and surface temp says 99-100 depending on where on the basking spot. We also have an ambient thermometer in the tank, but those aren't always accurate - we use more to look for drastic changes than to catch exact temps. But it is reading 80 right now just as an FYI. Our surface checker is saying 77-78 on the cool side floor, where she is choosing to sleep right now.
Everything looks good- she's going to go thru relocation stress- that will effect her eating and behavior - see if her poop straightens out - if it continues then I would take a fecal into the vet have it tested -- does it stink so bad it makes you want to leave the room? What insect are you feeding?

JEllis35

Bearded Dragon Egg
So she definitely has smelly poops - but I wouldn't say more than usual. She has always been pretty poop smelly. She typically likes to poop outside the enclosure after we soak her and we definitely have to leave a fan on for a while in the room where it happens. But Friday wasn't any worse than the normal bad smell.

For feeders, we are currently using mostly crickets. But also supplementing with some Dubias that we get delivered. She is also a good greens eater and we are currently doing a mix of collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, squash, and cactus leaf. But she's still juvenile, so its lots of protein right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So she definitely has smelly poops - but I wouldn't say more than usual. She has always been pretty poop smelly. She typically likes to poop outside the enclosure after we soak her and we definitely have to leave a fan on for a while in the room where it happens. But Friday wasn't any worse than the normal bad smell.

For feeders, we are currently using mostly crickets. But also supplementing with some Dubias that we get delivered. She is also a good greens eater and we are currently doing a mix of collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, squash, and cactus leaf. But she's still juvenile, so its lots of protein right now.
Yes till she's a year diet will flip to mostly greens- I would get her over on dubias - crickets can cause parasites+ they are a dirty feeder- I would get a fecal in and have it tested please no enemas!

JEllis35

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just updating here in case anyone is following or looking this up in the future:) First, thank you for all the help!

Things were not improving (eating 10 insects one day and then none the next, no poops and then really watery poop, sleeping on cold side all day unless physically moved to warm side, etc). So we made a trip to our reptile vet. We got a stool sample in the car and - it's parasites. I think the new tank added to the stress, so we ended up seeing the behavior shift early. We started an oral dewormer a few days ago and she is already back to eating, basking, and she slept on her favorite log again last night! So we are on our way to recovery:)

Also, we have completely switched to Dubia roaches as suggested. No more crickets for us!

jabda

Hatchling Dragon
Yep! those damn crickets will get you every time. Brown are the worst although my dragon got parasites from the banded crickets. I also switched to superworms & Dubia roaches. They don't stink, no noise, easy to maintain, less space, don't just all over and I keep them in my house. Glad to hear she's recovering.
He love the hunt... out the tank placing a roach @ 4-5 feet away and watch the kill.

Snappy's mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just updating here in case anyone is following or looking this up in the future:) First, thank you for all the help!

Things were not improving (eating 10 insects one day and then none the next, no poops and then really watery poop, sleeping on cold side all day unless physically moved to warm side, etc). So we made a trip to our reptile vet. We got a stool sample in the car and - it's parasites. I think the new tank added to the stress, so we ended up seeing the behavior shift early. We started an oral dewormer a few days ago and she is already back to eating, basking, and she slept on her favorite log again last night! So we are on our way to recovery:)

Also, we have completely switched to Dubia roaches as suggested. No more crickets for us!
We jus went thru the same thing.... I cringe now, when I see someone say they're feeding with crickets... never again!
I've got a happy Snappy now, still snappy tho , I'm beginning to wonder if that will ever change

Latest posts