• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned (Won't eat greens, restless)

DoubleD1996!

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

So recently my bearded dragon has been acting strange. "She" and I use that term slightly because it appears to be a male. The previous owner assured me she laid eggs. I rescued her a few months ago from an owner who could no longer keep her. She did a phenomenal job in my opinion. I built her an outdoor enclosure as well as a 6ft enclosure inside for the winter. She hasn't eaten a ton since I've had her. The occasional green here and there, but she only wants to eat bugs. I put bugs in her greens hoping that she will get some. Yesterday she appeared to eat some of the turnip, Mustard, and dandelion greens. All of my parameters are correct. 110 basking, linear uvb, paper as substrate, a cool side of low 80s with ambient temperature being 70. She also has a dig box. Currently she darts around the cage frantically, has been pooping a lot ( it has been solid, but today runny), refuses greens, and has an indentation at the top of the head. I read this has something to do with the parietal eye. Initially I though dehydration, but she drinks when I spray her (hasn't lately). Then I thought impaction. She hardly goes in her dig box but her stomach is a little puffy, but passes poop daily. Gravid, perhaps? But I feel she would eat a tone more. I'm at a loss and could use some guidance.

Attachments

• 20221115_081358.jpg
    20221115_081358.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221115_081354.jpg
    20221115_081354.jpg
  • 20221115_081311.jpg
    20221115_081311.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

So recently my bearded dragon has been acting strange. "She" and I use that term slightly because it appears to be a male. The previous owner assured me she laid eggs. I rescued her a few months ago from an owner who could no longer keep her. She did a phenomenal job in my opinion. I built her an outdoor enclosure as well as a 6ft enclosure inside for the winter. She hasn't eaten a ton since I've had her. The occasional green here and there, but she only wants to eat bugs. I put bugs in her greens hoping that she will get some. Yesterday she appeared to eat some of the turnip, Mustard, and dandelion greens. All of my parameters are correct. 110 basking, linear uvb, paper as substrate, a cool side of low 80s with ambient temperature being 70. She also has a dig box. Currently she darts around the cage frantically, has been pooping a lot ( it has been solid, but today runny), refuses greens, and has an indentation at the top of the head. I read this has something to do with the parietal eye. Initially I though dehydration, but she drinks when I spray her (hasn't lately). Then I thought impaction. She hardly goes in her dig box but her stomach is a little puffy, but passes poop daily. Gravid, perhaps? But I feel she would eat a tone more. I'm at a loss and could use some guidance.
Distance and placement of uvb is crucial- if on a screen rays are being blocked by 30%-- 110 for an adult is too hot most adults like temps of 95-100- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- have you felt her abdomen for eggs?

DoubleD1996!

Bearded Dragon Egg
Distance and placement of uvb is crucial- if on a screen rays are being blocked by 30%-- 110 for an adult is too hot most adults like temps of 95-100- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- have you felt her abdomen for eggs?
Felt the abdomen no eggs. The uvb is situated inside the enclosure above. Reptisun 10.0. I have a digital probe and use the temp gun and it is around 100 now that I look with the very peak being 105.

Attachments

• 20221115_115519.jpg
    20221115_115519.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221115_115843.jpg
    20221115_115843.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221115_115510.jpg
    20221115_115510.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Felt the abdomen no eggs. The uvb is situated inside the enclosure above. Reptisun 10.0. I have a digital probe and use the temp gun and it is around 100 now that I look with the very peak being 105.
ok make sure your UVB is 12-15 inches directly above her basking spot-- temps are good then and NO eggs? I saw no white urate in the poop you posted is she pooping white ? How old is the UVB bulb? Trying to narrow down the behavior your getting-- tank is not too small --- no digging --- and cant feel any eggs-- the weather will cause off appetite -- has she eaten greens in the past since you have had her?

DoubleD1996!

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok make sure your UVB is 12-15 inches directly above her basking spot-- temps are good then and NO eggs? I saw no white urate in the poop you posted is she pooping white ? How old is the UVB bulb? Trying to narrow down the behavior your getting-- tank is not too small --- no digging --- and cant feel any eggs-- the weather will cause off appetite -- has she eaten greens in the past since you have had her?
The tank is 6ft long. I have the excat dimensions written down somewhere, but its essentially two 40g breeders.There was solid poop with urates up until today. There are urates in the runny poop i posted.The uvb bulb is hardly a month old and directly above basking. She has eaten greens in the past as well as rose of sharon during the summer. I'll check her belly again, but no marble feel. She did dig in her box once. But that's when the heat mat underneath it was plugged in. I figured it was too warm and I don't have a thermostat to plug it in. I thought that too much heat from that would cause her to zip around.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tank is 6ft long. I have the excat dimensions written down somewhere, but its essentially two 40g breeders.There was solid poop with urates up until today. There are urates in the runny poop i posted.The uvb bulb is hardly a month old and directly above basking. She has eaten greens in the past as well as rose of sharon during the summer. I'll check her belly again, but no marble feel. She did dig in her box once. But that's when the heat mat underneath it was plugged in. I figured it was too warm and I don't have a thermostat to plug it in. I thought that too much heat from that would cause her to zip around.
He mats are not really good unless your trying to warm the tank up for a sick dragon and that is all you have -- better for that are the CHE's -- ok so ruling out UVB -- how long is she doing the darting around the tank? Is she eventually settling down - are there any stressors around her tank --- windows that she can see birds-- cats dogs -- ?

DoubleD1996!

Bearded Dragon Egg
He mats are not really good unless your trying to warm the tank up for a sick dragon and that is all you have -- better for that are the CHE's -- ok so ruling out UVB -- how long is she doing the darting around the tank? Is she eventually settling down - are there any stressors around her tank --- windows that she can see birds-- cats dogs -- ?
It's random. Only for a few seconds then she returns to basking or just hanging out. There is a window near, but she's facing away from it. I can move the cage easily, it's on wheels. My biggest concern is the poop and the indentation on her head. The dogs are never in the same room with her, but she seems not to mind if they so happen to follow me.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's random. Only for a few seconds then she returns to basking or just hanging out. There is a window near, but she's facing away from it. I can move the cage easily, it's on wheels. My biggest concern is the poop and the indentation on her head. The dogs are never in the same room with her, but she seems not to mind if they so happen to follow me.
I am not sure what that is I will have someone else take a look maybe they can have some insight on what is going on there
Ok good -- could be just a burst of energy -- I thought maybe it was long periods of time

DoubleD1996!

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am not sure what that is I will have someone else take a look maybe they can have some insight on what is going on there

Ok good -- could be just a burst of energy -- I thought maybe it was long periods of time
Ol, thanks for the help