• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned for my baby dragon

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Good morning BD! Hope everyone had a great holiday!

I purchased a baby rankin dragon before Christmas for my daughter and I; he or she was born in the middle of July. He was eating great for about a month, about 10 roaches a day and some greens. Recently hes been sleeping all day not basking and just off from where he was a month ago. Basking area reads between 100-105 with the prob and heat gun. Two days of not eating but yesterday he did eat a good size roach, and went back to sleeping. He's staying in the cool zone of the Terrarium but still over the UV Light. Only thing I can think of is the UV light is above the screen and hes not getting enough but other than that I'm puzzled.

Thoughts? I've never cared for a BD but read a lot on this forum and did what I thought was right for his health......

Let me know; thanks!
Tom a very concerned Dragon dad.....

T8 ten UV
(2) 75 Watt Zoo Med Basking Bulbs
50 Gallon Terrarium
Heating pad on at night under the terrarium
Digital prob and Heat gun
Bath every week....

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good morning BD! Hope everyone had a great holiday!

I purchased a baby rankin dragon before Christmas for my daughter and I; he or she was born in the middle of July. He was eating great for about a month, about 10 roaches a day and some greens. Recently hes been sleeping all day not basking and just off from where he was a month ago. Basking area reads between 100-105 with the prob and heat gun. Two days of not eating but yesterday he did eat a good size roach, and went back to sleeping. He's staying in the cool zone of the Terrarium but still over the UV Light. Only thing I can think of is the UV light is above the screen and hes not getting enough but other than that I'm puzzled.

Thoughts? I've never cared for a BD but read a lot on this forum and did what I thought was right for his health......

Let me know; thanks!
Tom a very concerned Dragon dad.....

T8 ten UV
(2) 75 Watt Zoo Med Basking Bulbs
50 Gallon Terrarium
Heating pad on at night under the terrarium
Digital prob and Heat gun
Bath every week....
Please get the T 8 inside the tank --- the clear plastic cover over the bulb needs to come off and it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches -- please replace the bulb out in 5 months --- please no heating pad get a CHE ceramic heat emitter place on top of the tank center - ONLY if your tank is falling below 65 at night temps should be 65-75 at night -- basking temps should be taken w/ digital probe thermometer and they should be surface temps -- place the probe on the spot where he basks wait 10 min get the temp

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Please get the T 8 inside the tank --- the clear plastic cover over the bulb needs to come off and it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches -- please replace the bulb out in 5 months --- please no heating pad get a CHE ceramic heat emitter place on top of the tank center - ONLY if your tank is falling below 65 at night temps should be 65-75 at night -- basking temps should be taken w/ digital probe thermometer and they should be surface temps -- place the probe on the spot where he basks wait 10 min get the temp
The plastic cover is off the bulb and its just it actual bulb. I'll go get a replacement today to keep on stand by....if I go T5 can it stay on the outside as I'm not sure how to mount it inside the enclosure. Our house is kept at 68F overnight so I'm sure its not dipping below 65F at night.....I will get the CHE with the other bulb in case...

With concerns to the basking temps, that's how I got the readings I posted. Digital probe on his spot for at least 10, the first time I took readings it was there over an hour and it read 105F

Thank you for your reply

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The plastic cover is off the bulb and its just it actual bulb. I'll go get a replacement today to keep on stand by....if I go T5 can it stay on the outside as I'm not sure how to mount it inside the enclosure. Our house is kept at 68F overnight so I'm sure its not dipping below 65F at night.....I will get the CHE with the other bulb in case...

With concerns to the basking temps, that's how I got the readings I posted. Digital probe on his spot for at least 10, the first time I took readings it was there over an hour and it read 105F

Thank you for your reply
Does your fixture have a reflector in it? Tank should stay at the temp of the house at nite

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, this is the actual hood.

I have three daughters so the house must stay above 68-71F no matter what!

Ok so get the hood in the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches -- you might think about upgrading the UVB to a 24" fixture w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - depending on your screen will determine placement and distance for the UVB -- your temps in the house are good as long the temps are the same in the tank-- he doesnt need a bath every week -- dragons get most of their moisture from their salads they eat rinse the greens before serving -- watch his behavior after getting the UVB moved --

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so get the hood in the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches -- you might think about upgrading the UVB to a 24" fixture w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - depending on your screen will determine placement and distance for the UVB -- your temps in the house are good as long the temps are the same in the tank-- he doesnt need a bath every week -- dragons get most of their moisture from their salads they eat rinse the greens before serving -- watch his behavior after getting the UVB moved --
Will do!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lights are moved and same personality. I'm pretty sure he's Burmating
Babies do not brumate- unless your dragon is 300+ grams he should not be brumating- please post a pic of the tank and lighting- w/ him not eating and sleeping I am wondering if he has parasites- I would like to see the tank please-- a fecal would need to be done NO ENEMAS- you can call the vet see if you could drop a fecal off to be tested - here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org
If you are in a small area type in the zip code for a bigger city closest to you- how have his poops been? Real runny and stink really bad?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Babies do not brumate- unless your dragon is 300+ grams he should not be brumating- please post a pic of the tank and lighting- w/ him not eating and sleeping I am wondering if he has parasites- I would like to see the tank please-- a fecal would need to be done NO ENEMAS- you can call the vet see if you could drop a fecal off to be tested - here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org
If you are in a small area type in the zip code for a bigger city closest to you- how have his poops been? Real runny and stink really bad?
Your dragon is about 8 months old?

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Your dragon is about 8 months old?
Good morning; about 6 months old. I also contacted the breeder, she stated (2) out of the other (4) are currently in Burnation. I will post pictures of the enclosure later today. He's not pooping as frequently as hes not eating as much. No smell, its a little green with white in the actual poop. Tank is about 75 this morning

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good morning; about 6 months old. I also contacted the breeder, she stated (2) out of the other (4) are currently in Burnation. I will post pictures of the enclosure later today. He's not pooping as frequently as hes not eating as much. No smell, its a little green with white in the actual poop. Tank is about 75 this morning
75 is that basking temp? And how are you getting that temp?

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
75 is that basking temp? And how are you getting that temp?
That's were he's relaxing or sleeping.....the temperature are taken with a digital probe. Basking area is between 103-105F. Readings are taken after about 10-15 minutes of the probe resting

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's were he's relaxing or sleeping.....the temperature are taken with a digital probe. Basking area is between 103-105F. Readings are taken after about 10-15 minutes of the probe resting
Ok so temps are good --- as far as the poop he may / or may not have parasites its up to you to see if you want to get one done and to rule that out -- he is awful young to be brumating most do not brumate before a year old and like I had posted he would haft to be really big to do that--- at that age they are usually not that heavy and are active basking eating and pooping at 6 months of age -- so is he staying in that cool side of the tank? No basking ?

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
I agree with you and really am shocked he's acting this way. I'd say he's been on the cool side for 70-80% of the time in the past week. I've put him on his basking wood a couple times, and he's stay there for a bit then move back to the cool side.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with you and really am shocked he's acting this way. I'd say he's been on the cool side for 70-80% of the time in the past week. I've put him on his basking wood a couple times, and he's stay there for a bit then move back to the cool side.
Please weigh him- kitchen food scale weigh in grams

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
CEB3267F-1F9E-483B-9C79-F1EF1C99A910.jpeg

Attachments

• A924A7F0-16A0-4674-A7B4-8ADB0E6A01FD.jpeg
    A924A7F0-16A0-4674-A7B4-8ADB0E6A01FD.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 5BAE8C66-BA3A-4346-947D-D5FE825F87D9.jpeg
    5BAE8C66-BA3A-4346-947D-D5FE825F87D9.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's going to sit under his uvb- that is normal -- he knows what he needs I would take the uvb pull out towards the middle of the tank get a dome set either in front of it or behind it setting up another basking area w/ the decor directly under it - that way he's getting both or move the uvb over/ closer to your hot side

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
He was out and about this morning and even ate one roach then was basking. Thinking I could move his basking light to the other side so he's getting both. Funny thing is he hides under the hammock away from the UBV.....