• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned about baby beardie's health

Adam Wilson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I recently adopted a baby bearded dragon. I've had her for about 3 days but am not sure if I should be concerned. She is eating fine and pooping too! (I had to clean it up today :p) She eats mostly crickets but I have witnessed her eating veggies. My concern is she definitly has stress marks on her belly and presses her face to the glass a lot. I don't think its too hot in there but maybe? I've attached some pictures of her and here is a gif of what she does.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohrynKjBnA2KMIl5m/giphy.gif

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• photo_2017-06-30_20-03-20.jpg
    photo_2017-06-30_20-03-20.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 23
  • photo_2017-06-30_20-03-24.jpg
    photo_2017-06-30_20-03-24.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 25
  • photo_2017-06-30_20-03-27.jpg
    photo_2017-06-30_20-03-27.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 24

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
Mine does the scratching at the glass thing when he is hungry and others report they do that when they want out to be with you. As for the dark spots, mine does that a lot when he is trying to soak up more heat. What are temps down there where he is?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, so its about 80 at the cool end of your tank, how hot are her basking spots at the other end? Only way to know really is with an Infra Red Thermometer, they can be bought cheap on amazon or ebay. She looks ok though and eating so I wouldnt be concerned. One of mine spends a lot of time staring through the glass like that, not usually because shes hungry, I just think shes curious. Shes not glass surfing though, so Im guessing shes happy.
One thing, apparently they can feel exposed if all sides of the tank are uncovered, you might want to cover the back and sides, should make her feel more secure. Otherwise, congrats on your baby and let us know how you get on.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Looks like your beardie wants to be with you, as he's surfing he's not taking his eyes off of you. Just be sure his temps are ok, basking 100-107F , cool side 80F. Enjoy your beardie, sure is cute

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They will darken up when soaking up the heat from the sun, don't worry too much on the marks on the belly they call them stress marks however they really are just markings they get when excited, angry, cold..She looks fine. Glass surfing is normal activity some do it more than others, looks like she wants to explore. You may want to put up some background to help her feel more secure. Be aware that if sun shines right on her tank the temps can quickly get too hot and will increase the humidity in there..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Your tank is pretty high. An infrared temp gun will be very helpful in making sure the temps are where they should be. For a baby that size, 107 in the basking spot is recommended. One thing I don't see is a UVB bulb in your tank. What are you using for UVB?

Latest posts