• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned about a pet store dragon

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So my local pet store has a juvie dragon the is EXTREMELY skinny. You can see every bone in this poor things body. I would love to take it but he's charging $150 for it and the poor thing is half dead. It's being kept in a 10 gallon tank on wood chips. He's only got a black light buld on it. No basking and no uvb. I want to help this dragon but don't know if there's really anything I can do. I've offered to clean out the dragon tank and set it up on newpaper but the pet store isn't hearing it. He thinks his dragon is healthy. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to help this poor creature?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he wont listen to you he wont listen there aint much you can do. And if someone buys it out of pitty or whatever all he will do is buy more.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His arrogance in believing he's right most likely has the root of money.

Although I do agree with Brian, you asked for suggestions. So here goes.

Take pics of your own dragons inside their enclosures, and borrow those pictures from members here. Tom can probably provide you with similar aged dragons to date for a good photo reference. Print off the caresheet and give it to him, his employees, customers, etc. It pisses them off, and you probably won't be welcome there anymore..........but the principle applied has impact.

While you're providing your "proof" make your offer to redo the enclosure and bring the simple supplies (if you can) The effort may be fruitless........but at that point, you've done all you can possibly do.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
His arrogance in believing he's right most likely has the root of money.

Although I do agree with Brian, you asked for suggestions. So here goes.

Take pics of your own dragons inside their enclosures, and borrow those pictures from members here. Tom can probably provide you with similar aged dragons to date for a good photo reference. Print off the caresheet and give it to him, his employees, customers, etc. It pisses them off, and you probably won't be welcome there anymore..........but the principle applied has impact.

While you're providing your "proof" make your offer to redo the enclosure and bring the simple supplies (if you can) The effort may be fruitless........but at that point, you've done all you can possibly do.

Yeah sorry I became jaded when it comes to pet stores a long time ago.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've done all you suggested Gina to no avail. I've also brought my dragons with me to the pet store. He doesn't really care. I filed an animal cruelty report with the SPCA so we'll see how far that goes. I can't believe that anyone can look at an animal in his condition and think that it's healthy. He also has other reptiles that aren't in much better condition.It's really sickening. This is the same pet store I got my little leo from a couple of months ago that ended up passing. I don't understand why he's allowed to run a pet shop with the conditions of his animals. It makes me very angry. I will keep up with the ASPCA. Hopefully I can get some good results from that.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't support him anymore. In fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even give him any of my business. Walking in would only tempt me to look at the animals....and my heart aches far too often for those that are hurting. Fortunately, I live relatively close to a wonderful pet shop. They keep the absolute BEST care of all their animals.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the SPCA won't do anything. What he's doing does not qualify as cruelty.
Cruelty falls under intentional starvation, intentional exposure to elements that can and do cause harm (keeping snakes outside in the snow for instance) and physically causing harm or malice. Keeping practices are debatable, and not written or enforced by any entity.

Morals however, are a different story.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow, this jerks at my heart. Can't someone do something? If he sells these animals and they are dying due to poor health, isn't that something? Better Business Bureau or soemthing, anyone????

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Filing a report with the SPCA is about all you can do. Keep filing them and tell others you know to file it as well. The more people that file the quicker they will investigate.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The BBB is a member of the trade association that sets standards for consumer relationships to which it expects its members to conform to. It also uses peer pressure to try to resolve disputes between consumers and businesses. It can be very useful in solving disputes but has no connection to the government or to any legal authority.

Every state has consumer protection laws enforced by a government agency, usually with a name the Div of Consumer Affairs or Consumer Protection, etc. They have the legal authority to take civil and with the cooperation of the DA or Prosecutor, criminal action against a business. If you have a dispute with a Business that you believe is a result of the business violating the consumer protection act, you should file the complaint with them. That complaint however, must be valid. Dead, dying or damaged goods with photographs directly affecting the complaining witness. With the "wide open" rule book on keeping and husbandry and what is deemed a safe practice being so debatable.......all the owner of the store has to do is produce some yahoo no-name breeder to back him up and he's perfectly legit against all the other "opinions" of consumers.

It truly sux. But depleting his business by correcting the information to his customers shows them not only is he providing substandard living conditions, but also substandard animals.

And......on the high note.......I've been thrown out of PetSmart, PetCo and arrested a time or two for handing out material that did not "reconcile" the particular store. The charges don't stick.........but it sure did make a dinner a bit late.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I filed a rewport with the aspca and I also filed one with the department of agriculture. The concern of mine isn't so much the conditions as the fact that this dragon is nothing more than skin and bones. There's no way it's being fed correctly. He's had this dragon for probably about 2 months and it's gradually getting worse. I will not rest until something is done about it. It's disgusting that someone would think he's healthy enough to sell. He needs medical attention and food.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
File a report with the Department of Vet Medicine in correlation with whom he claims to use. All Pet Stores must have a medical outlet. As a consumer it's within your right to ask who that is. If he's claiming to use their resource, and hasn't.....you might claim that a medical issue is present and there has been no attempt to resolve it.
Sometimes, the review board will go back on the vet clinic, and the vet clinic reverbs against the store forcing them into some type of action.

it's a long shot.......but i'd try it.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is another long shot but you could try to draw the attention of the news to it. Most news stations do their undercover investigations and that is something different that they may want to look into to change things up a little. No shop wants bad press on the news, not good for business

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh man...............great idea Sandra. Here we have 5 on Your Side. They get really down to the nitty gritty.

the flip side of that would be that more curiousity mongers know where the store is.

Latest posts