• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Compost top soil for lay box?

Breeze98

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey!

I have a female beardie that’s about 3 years old.
She is house alone and has had no contact with a male.
The last week she’s showing signs of being gravid. She’s had a huge appetite which drastically reduced, she’s been digging in her tank especially under her hide and has been a bit snappy (extremely unusual for her, we’ve had her since about 3 months old and she’s chill).

I’ve been trying to look for answers in regards to substrates for a lay box. I am building a seperate one to place her in for a couple day.
I already have play sand but am struggling to find a top soil.
Only ones I have been able to find are ‘organic top soils’ but they all have compost. No fertilisers, chemicals etc…

I purchased a bag of Brunnings All Natural Organic Topsoil and it states “This product is made from organic materials, including composted pinebark, and contains living microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi and protozoa. May also contain mineral and fertiliser additives.”

Would this be okay mixed with play sand? She’d only be in it for about 12 hours per day over a 4 day period.

Any help would be great. I’ve not had a femalebeardie especially a gravid one.
7B3655BA-78C8-467E-86A8-B8080B0B284F.png

3739683A-11DB-4868-83F0-E8D64283E295.png

AF197AFE-DC3D-48DD-9694-00B5D3F04FFD.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey!

I have a female beardie that’s about 3 years old.
She is house alone and has had no contact with a male.
The last week she’s showing signs of being gravid. She’s had a huge appetite which drastically reduced, she’s been digging in her tank especially under her hide and has been a bit snappy (extremely unusual for her, we’ve had her since about 3 months old and she’s chill).

I’ve been trying to look for answers in regards to substrates for a lay box. I am building a seperate one to place her in for a couple day.
I already have play sand but am struggling to find a top soil.
Only ones I have been able to find are ‘organic top soils’ but they all have compost. No fertilisers, chemicals etc…

I purchased a bag of Brunnings All Natural Organic Topsoil and it states “This product is made from organic materials, including composted pinebark, and contains living microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi and protozoa. May also contain mineral and fertiliser additives.”

Would this be okay mixed with play sand? She’d only be in it for about 12 hours per day over a 4 day period.

Any help would be great. I’ve not had a femalebeardie especially a gravid one.
View attachment 33164
View attachment 33163
View attachment 33165
Let me get you some help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you!
Heres her reply
I don't know enough about the soil with the added ingredients but I wouldn't use it. It's O.K to use all sand [ I have ] or some say add coco fiber[ I have not ] Just mix it with enough warm water at the start and put it in a plastic container , anything from a shoebox with lid on + hole cut in the top or a larger sized plastic container. Keep the container in a 80-85 F area of the tank.