• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Compact UVB?

Pascal Rivette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to this and lighting... Urgh, what a confusing topic! There is so much conflicting information out there it seems. So to save myself many more hours researching I thought I'd just come out and ask...

Everywhere I seem to look for info everyone says to use Reptisun 10.0 tubes and to place them in the viv, however this doesn't really work for me. I can't find Reptisun anywhere in my area yet and I would rather not have to order online every time I need a new bulb. My viv is only 18" tall and it has a fake stone wall at the back that my beardie likes to climb so I can't really hang the tube back there :(

I'm currently using a Repti Glo Compact 26W in a dome fixture placed on top of the screen, I know this isn't the best and I want to change it. I was thinking of getting this:

large-exo-compact-top-90-pt2228.jpg

First off this was basically designed to fit perfectly on my terrarium, second it will provide coverage across the entire length of my viv, thirdly people keep saying that UVB can be filtered up to 50% through a screen and if that's true, I would have 4 bulbs passing 50% :p (However the bulbs state that they are recommended for use with terrariums with screened covers) so that might not even be an issue. And lastly, it is on sale right now at my local Petcetera :)

My concern with this UVB setup is the negativity around compact bulbs, but from what I understand the issues compacts have are from the past and because of that everyone stays away from them. The new ones are supposed to be fine now, or so it may seem...

What do you guys think?

Thank you,
Pascal

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Compact UVB bulbs have been known to cause injury to animals due to the output of UVB. Some owners have had complaints with Linear Tube Bulbs as well. To insure the safety of your dragon a UVB meter can be purchased to measure the output of UVB produced. For future reference, there are many deals online that can save you quite a bit of money when shopping for needed supplies.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I just got a new reptisun 10.0 tube... I have a zilla 50 tube, but I'm not sure I like it. I have stayed away from getting foam backdrops because I know my females would claw it to pieces. Your baby is little and you shouldn't have any problems with that! I think it's so cute that he climbs it. I have new hatchlings, and I've seen them try to climb up the silliest things in the incubator. I hope you find something suitable! My other UVB would not be suitable for the height of your environment.