• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coming to the Forums During Rough Times

dwolf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone!

Right now, I have an 8year old beardie named Chewie. Unfortunately, I am away at school and my mother had to take him to the vet this morning in my home town. Last night he developed some kind of prolapse, but an expensive surgery is out of the question. Hopefully the vet can figure something out...but I've been trying to come to terms with the fact that he may have to be put down and that the next time I come home he won't be there. I'm already devastated that he's in pain and that I can't be there, so I figured I'd reach out to people who either know what this feels like or at least know what it's like to have a BD.

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
I am so very sorry. I can only imagine how you feel as I know my little one is my world too. Please keep the forum posted on Chewie. And meanwhile, am sending you air hugs.

dwolf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you for the air hugs! My mom left Chewie at the vet and they're gonna call her back later...so fingers crossed

dwolf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Chewie is back from the vet! I hear he had stitches and will need to go back in a few weeks to remove them. Stepdad at home says he's doing well, but I'm waiting on more information about what I can do to prevent future problems and to make sure this problem is completely rectified. Feeling a lot more optimistic now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forums! Im glad chewie's issue is being taken care of.

If this was a cloaca/intestinal prolapse. You may want to be sure your dragon is getting proper hydration and secondly a fecal gets done to see if he has parasites. Those are the two main reasons behind a intestinal prolapse. If this does happen again. You can try powder sugar and cool water. You simply mix in a good amount of powder sugar into enough water to soak the prolapse in. If this does not do the trick on a hemipene or intestinal prolapse it is best to keep a small tube of KY jelly around just for this instance. Apply it liberally to the area and make sure it stays moist till you are able to see the vet asap.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum. I'm very glad to hear Chewie is on the mend!

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
Chewie is back from the vet! I hear he had stitches and will need to go back in a few weeks to remove them. Stepdad at home says he's doing well, but I'm waiting on more information about what I can do to prevent future problems and to make sure this problem is completely rectified. Feeling a lot more optimistic now!
YAY!!! Soooo happy for you! Please keep us posted on his progress! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

corine milum the

Juvenile Dragon
Glad he seems to be on the mend mate just had a little cry for you reading that... think we all love our beardies that much. .. good luck xx

dwolf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Unfortunately, Chewie had another prolapse last week and had to be put down...I've been pretty sad... My house feels so empty... Also sad I didn't get to see him beforehand =[

corine milum the

Juvenile Dragon
Im really sorry mate he s in a better place now an there's always gonna be another beardie who needs a nice caring owner like you im sure you did yr best for him

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
I am so very sorry. :( I know there's a hole in your heart where he was. In time, when you're ready, think of getting another baby to smother with love. Sending you huge air hugs!