• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Color change

Jonathan95123

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have heard that bearded dragons change color. My friend has correlated that her beardie changes to a darker color while being outside under direct sunlight. I find it a very interesting phenomenon.

Do you enjoy your beardie one way or the other (color)? Have you guys noticed what causes your beardie to change color?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They definitely do change color. My girl gets darker when she's cold and lighter when she's all warmed up. I can usually tell what kind of mood she's in by how light or dark her beard is. I'm curious to see how my little guy changes color once he gets bigger :)

laswabbie

Juvenile Dragon
Yes, they can change colors as a way to communicate with other dragons, to express feat or aggression and to help regulate their body temperature.

I haven't seen much color change in Falkor at all, even when he's mad at me for messing with him.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My girl gets darker when we are outside as well. I think she does this to attract more sunlight to her body (kind of like when we wear darker clothes in the summer we attract more sun). Once she's warm enough and starts gaping her colors brighten up dramatically. I think it's pretty cool to watch them transition their colors in this way. When she's mad or excited she also darkens up as well. Like during feeding time her tail sticks nearly straight up and gets very dark lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep mine will get dark when outside soaking up the heat and UVB, my female will also get a really pretty yellow/orange when outside exploring. My male doesn't really change colors all that much tan, greens, browns and well his beard all black when he see's my female :)

Latest posts