• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cold weather!

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It's getting cold here in Ohio and several areas were without power last evening because of the weather. There have been incidents in past years where the power was off for several hours or even days.
I was wondering what plans you make to keep your dragons warm if this happens. (Don't tell me about generators, etc. I'm a senior on a set budget and I live with my children. A generator is just outside of my capability.) This is my first winter with my first dragon and it has been worrying me.

I'm asking this on all my Bearded Dragon sites so don't worry if you see it multiple times.

Jet76

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
One thought would be an insulated box/cooler and keep several long duration heat packs on hand. If you lose power at least you could keep a small container warm. There are also ways to heat containers with candles. Just make sure the smoke and fumes from the candles don't get to the dragons. I researched it a couple of years back and found a great link on the Internet, will see if I can dig it up again.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
An insulated box with air holes is a good idea. If power is going to be out for days, moving the animals to a smaller container is better because it's easier to keep warm. I stock up on those hand and feet warmers. One time our power went out for a few hours, as soon as it went out I started filling up bottles with hot water and started putting them in in my tanks to help keep everyone warm. Covering tanks with thick or insulated blankets helps too.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for your ideas, I'll get some of those hand warmers and find a small box....We have one of those small 'cooler' designed for sodas. It doesn't seal but has a triangular shaped lid. I think that might be ideal with a warmer and a heavy towel or blanket over it... I can relax a little bit now..

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have gas or electric heat? if you have gas – slowly warm a brick (slowly so it doesn't explode) and wrap it in a towel so it doesn't burn your beardie.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We have gas heat but when the power if off the heat doesn't work because it has an electronic pilot ignition. But we do have a gas range that can be lit by a match. I could easily heat a brick or stone on the stove top. Excellent Idea! Thanks!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you heat a stone you might want to try boiling it in water – bricks are more porous - less likely to explode

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The frog forum I belong to had a lot of members effected by hurricane Sandy. They had to come up with fixes real quick. A few of the members were able to move their reptiles to a friends house until they got heat back but others had to improvise.

Also, don't feed your bearded dragons if the power goes out. They need the heat to digest their food, if they don't have it the food will just rot in their stomach.

Latest posts