• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coccidia's gone : D

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
I'm so happy!! Ryuu is free and clear of coccidia :D Now I just want to focus on keeping her healthy . I have new sand that is all sifted through and im thinking about baking it to make sure its clean. Poor girl has been in a pretty empty tank with newspaper bottom for a month. Im gonna slowly get her tank back together and try not to stress her out with all new stuff at one time. I think shes gonna be happy to have the sand and her basking log back :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You would be much better off making any changes all at once, rather than making several changes at different times & stressing it many times.

It would likely be better to wait a few weeks prior to making any changes at all, to give it an opportunity to recover completely from being on the meds.

Good Luck

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ, she has been off the meds for 2 weeks now . Ill get it all put together this weekend.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Me too !!! I was quite stressed out in the beginning. It was A lot of work washing her tank everyday. I always kept her tank clean before so im not sure what i was doing wrong, i just hope it doesn't happen again. :rolleyes:

I wanted to try and feed her some worms . She has never ate them before. The only feeder she has had was crix. I dont know much about worms . What kind would you recommend ? And i only want to get a small supply to try .

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Worms of any kind, in my opinion are only occasional feeders or 'Treats'. Most worms are much fattier than crix or roaches, so they do not make good staple feeders. BDs are also easily 'Worm Spoiled' & often will refuse to eat anything else, if regularly fed them. Phoenix Worms (aka: Calci-Worms or Repti-Worms ~ all the same worm by different breeder names, all are the maggot or larvae of the Black Soldier Fly) & Butter worms are likely the better choices, as they have a higher calcium content, but many other worms serve the purpose also, all should be Calcium dusted anyway. Mealworms & Superworms are more commonly available.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Oh man Germ !:D Did you really have to put that vision in my head that the worms are maggots :eek::eek: I am NOT a bug person ! My son does the crix. There's no way i can have roaches in the house. Ill have to research the worms a little more. Thankfully Ryuu loves her greens and eats them everyday. Shes almost 2 yrs old , and i know they say she should be eating 80% greens and 20% bugs . So how many days a week should she be eating bugs ? twice a week ?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That % ratio is really a crock, just exactly how is one to figure it out, by sight, by volume, by weight, how??? lol ... That was someone's way of explaining that as they grow into adults, they are really no longer growing, not as active, therefore do not require as much protein. Buuuttt ... What they fail to tell you is how that ratio is to be calculated, because there really is no real way to calculate it.

Feed Greens daily & protein (Bugs, Live Prey) 2-3 times a week for adults ;) .

By the way, only the Phoenix, Calci & Repti Worm are maggots, because they are the larvae of a fly ;) . Sorry for the unpleasant visual :eek: , but that is what they are ...