• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

clipping nails

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
one of my dragons nails is long and getting curled up on its self whats the best way to clip them? should i buy a clipper just for him like a dog/cat nail trimmer?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not really big on using clippers for reptile claws but some people do. What I recommend instead is to used a couple of decent size rough rocks or if using tile as substrate a slate tile. Using these and your dragon climbing on or walking across them will naturally keep their claws trimmed.:)
Enjoy

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
They do make nail clipper just for reptiles. Any bird clipper will work too. They also have a quick that if you unfortunately cut will bleed. Just stear clear of the area. If the nail is curling, it may be best to do it in sessions. giving a few days to a week between cuttings. What mungi's buddah has suggested is a great way to maintain trimmed nails.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you do choose to try and clip your dragon's nails I would suggest a few things.

-First trim them after a bath as the nail is less likely to split.
-Secondly only trim a very small amount to begin with and if extremely long do it in sessions as GilliesExotics suggested.
-Third I would suggest having a helper to hold your dragon as it will make it easier for you to concentrate on the clipping without having to worry about a squirming dragon too.
-And lastly go to the drugstore ahead of time and buy a small jar of Styptic Powder or a Styptic Pen. This is in case you do happen to cut the quick and get a bleeder. It will help stop the blood flow.

If you do not feel absolutely confident in that you know what you are doing then I would have someone show you before hand either another local reptile person or your Vet. Most Vets will be more than happy to show you the correct way to do it if you ask.

It is really not a complicated thing, and in my experience most times it's an unnecessary thing because there are other options such as I have listed, but it does hold a possibility of you causing your dragon some pain if you do it wrong and split a claw or cut into the quick.

Just my opinion:)

Enjoy!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just to add, I also agree with Brett about unnecessary trimming, but when it is necessary, I use cat or small animal clippers with the rounded or 'V' cutters, much less likely to crush or splinter the claw. Brett's suggestion of doing after a bath is a really good one & so is Gillie's about only trimming a little at a time. I keep a bottle cap of Corn Starch or Flour in case of a 'short' cut, to dip the claw into tho help stop any bleeding should it occur.

Here are some pics that will help to show where to properly cut, if it absolutely has to be done.
BDnailclipping2.jpg
BDnailclipping.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Good call on the Corn Starch as another way to stem the bleeding should it happen,Germ, I had totally forgoten about it...I learned the miracle of the Styptic powder years ago before I realized that shaving my beard was a totally unnecessary thing and got spoiled...LOL:D

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
If you are afraid to cut or trim your beardies nails, can you file them with a nail file? (sorry if that seems like a stupid question) but when the time comes for me to trim my beardies nails I honestly am not confident enough to do it myself and I have no one who would be willing to help me either or who knows how to do it the right way. :oops:

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
The only reason why I'm cutting one of my dragons nails is because its starting the curl unless its looping back on its self your dragon should be fine with grinding them down on rocks or logs in his/her tank